Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

CCPM or NOT that is the ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

CCPM or NOT that is the ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2003, 01:35 PM
Jim Gilbert
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CCPM or NOT that is the ?

Newbie doing research on helis and I'm not sure exactly what ccpm is and what are the pros and cons of having it or not! Thanks for your time Jim
Old 01-03-2003, 01:49 PM
Furyflyer2
My Feedback: (117)

Cyclic-Collective-Pitch-Mixing, CCPM mounts the servo's push-rods directly to the swash plate at 120 degree increments, like an equilateral triangle. With these three servo's the swash plate can be tilted in any direction, and when they all move in the same direction the swash plate can be raised and lowered. All the mixing is done electronically by the transmitter, which means you MUST have a ccpm compatible transmitter CCPM is more precise and has the advantage of more power over any movement in the heli, yet it can sufferer from interaction.Also a big problem is if one servo fails you crash whereas standard mixing is the opposite.
Old 01-03-2003, 06:26 PM
Jim Gilbert

Thanks Mr. Fury, "suffer from interaction"???? Which is better or is it a matter of opinion?? PS Out of all Helis available how does your Fury rate? JIM
Old 01-03-2003, 06:30 PM
Furyflyer2
My Feedback: (117)

Fury is tops maybe the Vigor CS is better it has 140 verse 120 CCPM, you get use to the interaction but in most case it can be mixed out.
Old 01-04-2003, 12:06 AM
helitroll

Default Starting out

There are hours of threads on specifics of CCPM. I fly both. My two cents worth is this. Standard mix is easier for a new person to set up. CCPM is trickier on servos, radio and set-up but they fly the same once set up. If you have a lot of local help, it will not matter. If you are doing it alone, then go with the Raptor or Scaedu standard setup.

By the way. I was able to mix out the interaction on my Fury on the table very easily. It took very little mix. I cannot see any interaction during flight at my level of flying. It flips both ways without rolling and loops track very straight. Backwards loops are next but should also be ok. Good luck with your choice.
Old 01-04-2003, 04:03 PM
Crawler

He is a good explanation of CCMP, some Pro's and Cons written by Mike Mas.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...956&forumid=23]
Old 01-04-2003, 04:08 PM
=XGC= OzZ

Default That is a very good exp

Good reading.
Old 01-04-2003, 10:55 PM
MonkeyDude

so let me get this straight, the 3 servos in CCPM control BOTH the cyclic and collective...which means both the pitch and the direction?
Old 01-04-2003, 11:16 PM
Galifrey

yup

sorry should clarify...

which is the same as a normal system, except its mixed at transmitter not mechanically...

1xservo left right

1xservo fore aft

1x servo collective pitch...
Old 01-05-2003, 11:03 AM
KevinBourland
My Feedback: (9)

Crazyjimbo, welcome to the heli side!
The following is not to contradict anyone else, but from my own experience.

My first heli was an Ergo30 ccpm. I set up the heli and except for minor pitch change's and tracking adjustments. It was super easy to set up. My second heli was a Venture, then agian ... very simple to set up. The pitch gauge was useless with this heli but over all, very simple to set up.

I set up an Ergo 30 standard mix, and thought it more confusing than a ccpm heli.(as far as setting up). In flight, at my stage, I can not tell the difference between it and the ccpm Ergo. I have since built several helis up for "buddies" and I find ccpm is very easy to maintain, keep clean etc....

Fury, I have lost my collective servo in my Ergo 30 while flying and brought her down without incident. Nobody even knew that I was having a problem until I told them after I shut down the engine. Maybe I was lucky......

Good Luck!! Hope we all helped ya!
Old 01-05-2003, 02:47 PM
Culverson
My Feedback: (14)

CCPM can be a bit tricky setting up for the first time, but after you have set-up one the next will be so much more easily done. I could not help but notice the Caliber I believe is one heli that is CCPM capable or mechanical, which makes it a very versatile heli indeed-the best of both worlds. FF2 got me interested in the Caliber 60 for this reason.

The 120 degree swashplate systems are virtually impossible to achieve in a mechanical set-up. It makes adjustment more basic, yet actually using less components. I just wish we could see the savings for using less components..
Old 01-06-2003, 03:23 AM
Jim Gilbert

Thanks everyone for your imput! I appreciate it I tried to click on the thread "crawler" gave me but no go?? I still don't have enough info on ccpm to make an educated decision. Can anyone share the interaction mystery????? I'm confused about that and also if ccpm and mechanical fly the same then why ? I just got back from snowmobiling for 2 days, man i'm stiff and tomorrow I'll feel every one of my 44 years. It's funny, I missed the computer,researching helis and flying the real-flight! I grateful to know that I'll be able to fly helis and planes into my golden years, when things like motorcycles and snowmobiles are long gone. Someone gave me some good advice to get a heli that a local club member is familiar with or flys then he'll know the set up which is crucial! Thanks again for your time Jim
PS Hey Kevin, thanks for welcoming me! that was nice.
Old 01-06-2003, 04:40 AM
helitroll

Default Interaction

The phrase interaction relates to undesired input to the swash plate. An example is that a slight roll is introduced if you pull straight back on the aft cyclic (elevator for a/c guys). This will affect flips and loops. You can also get other interactions. If you put any single input and the swashplate moves in another axis, you have interaction. You can use bubble levels and a flat table to watch the interaction during movement of the collective. The causes relate to mechanical linkages as well as differences in servos. That is why guys talk a lot about the digital servos. They will operate close to identical although a good analog servo will work fine for most flying. The differences will be seen with aggressive or rapid stick changes. Remember that support and parts will be your primary concern.

Your other question related to why do they fly similarly? Both cause the swash plate to move the same for the same stick movements. The std vs CCPM relates to how the radio and servo inputs get to the swash plate.