Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

GMP Cricket restoration

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2003, 04:56 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GMP Cricket restoration

Since I've already been e-mailed by someone from this board regarding my Cricket....

The Cricket is a 4-channel (no collective pitch) heli. Its a no frills machine, with mostly aluminum construction.
There were a lot of these little helicopters made in the early to mid 1980's. There are still a few kits floating around which have never been assembled.

Due to age of the kits... even the unassembled ones are likely to have some deterioration. If they weren't stored properly the blades could easily have been warped or even dry-rotted. In a humid storage location the bearings and many steel parts could have quite a bit of rust. The helis which were assembled... there's more exposure to dirt and the probability of it having been crashed. Expect to need some parts.

Most parts are relatively easy to make. The tail rotor gearbox, and the cog type pulleys are about all that couldn't be made by a persistant modeler. (but even those could be made if you've got access to a machine shop...)

Help is available though. http://195.60.10.124/neasham/Section_A.htm has a very nice series of pages on the assembly of one of these helis. He's also got the manual (scanned and in a graphic file format) for download. http://www.crickethelicopters.com/ has a lot of information on getting a Cricket flying.

These helis are showing up n E-bay now. Last month, there were at least 3 kits, never opened, up for auction. I acquired one of the used helis. (cheaper than the kit) I was hoping to get a flyable heli cheap. What I got was a machine in bad need of major restoration, missing the portion of the gear train which mounts to the engine. (forcing me to find and buy a second, crunched Cricket to get parts)

I'm almost done restoring my Cricket to flyable condition. The mechanics are all cleaned up and aligned. The servos are in. The engine mount is missing still (2 helis and no usable engine mount... ) And... I've still got to MAKE my rotor blades. (would you trust a 20 to 25 year old set of wood blades?)

But the real holdup will be getting a gyro... I've already broke my R/C budget for the month. (and I don't want to repeat what happened to my first heli in appx 1983... no gyro, no help => one short and destructive flight.)
Old 01-08-2003, 11:56 PM
rons_29445

If you want I can measure my mounts and send you the specs. I might be able to make the .36 work if I can lengthen the shaft 1/4" somehow. I was hoping a washer would work but not between the shaft and flywheel. Still working on that one.......
Old 01-26-2003, 06:35 PM
Gewhiz

Default Cricket restoration

I happen to have an old Cricket in the attic I'll sell for parts.
Has a OS 25, two sets of blades, tail boom and tail rotor
gearbox still good. Drive belt and the famous GMP fan kit.

If interested, let me know, we'll work something out.

Gewhiz
Old 01-26-2003, 09:20 PM
coop-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Gewhiz....If ffhuber passes on the Cricket you have, please let me know, I would be interested in it, I have one, would be nice to have some spares.....Coop
Old 01-26-2003, 10:40 PM
rons_29445

During my buying frenzy I seem to have gotten ahold of a Kalt Cyclone II in pretty good shape w/ engine.
I think I am going to wind up putting the Cricket back up on Ebay to try to recoup the money spent so I can invest it in the Concpet 30 and Cyclone II.
Old 01-27-2003, 11:23 AM
Culverson
My Feedback: (14)

How about possibly posting some pics of the Cricket when you are done with it. I just bought my third Hirobo Mh-10 for restoration and a NIB BK-17 fuselage, I'll try to put up some pics as I complete them...