Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Pro2K (sort of) Servo/Batt questions

Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Pro2K (sort of) Servo/Batt questions

Old 01-15-2003, 07:04 PM
Paul_Barsamian
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pro2K (sort of) Servo/Batt questions

Got a pro2K (a converted CT w/ %95 of the upgrades to make it a pro2K, just needs the CNC blade grips and FB control arms). I got it on a trade, mostly looks good, except 2 things I need some help with.

1) Head is mushy on dampening, it has the big black CNC head. Which part number do I need to replace the dampers? Can't figure it out from MA's site or from Heliproz.

2) Cyclics are using older JR4131s and the collective has a Futaba 9202. I put a new freshly peak charged JR 1800 maH batt pack in along with a new power switch. I am using standard voltwatcher mounted in a visible area near the rear of the heli. When I start, I see a full charge, but after about 2 minutes the battery starts to dump to the bottom point (on the voltwatcher) and the machine starts to become unresponsive. Tried two other batteries, same result. I am using a JR 531 on throttle, and a GY 501/Futaba9253 for the tail with a Futaba PCM receiver. Range check is fine, linkages are pretty smooth in movement. What am I doing wrong? If I sit it on the bench, I get the same results if I work the servos around for a while (engine not running). Do I have a bad servo? Is something wrong with the electrics?

Thanks for any and all help, I can't wait to get this thing dialed in, it looks to be a great flyer...
Old 01-16-2003, 04:15 PM
Paul_Barsamian

Update:

Pulled all linkages, cleaned, re-oiled (triflow is absolutely the nuts as far as lube goes) and reassembled with the linkages snug but not too tight. Replaced the 9202 on collective, (talked to a bunch of people and the consensus is that 90oz/in is a good minimum for torque on a 60 sized collective system, the 9202 only had 72oz/in). Cycled the batt, and viola!!! Suddenly the batts are OK. Once I realized I had the engine too lean and riched it up a full half turn to begin tuning in again, I could actually hover and fly it around.

Morals of the story

Use a servo that has enough torque for the application.
Make sure all linkages are smooth even if the heli has been flown and especially if it has been sitting around for a while.
Use something to watch voltage (and implicit current) activity on the electrical system in flight, too much of a drop on a fresh new pack indicates a problem with one of the components, replace one by one until it works.
Old 01-18-2003, 09:01 AM
Galifrey

b0gh0s there is an MA conversion for the head dampers using the ally headblock and plastic blade holders...

not sure of part number tho...
Old 01-19-2003, 03:27 PM
Paul_Barsamian

Really?
What does the conversion do? The current set of dampers I have are so soft I am afraid I'll boom strike it if I loop.
Old 01-20-2003, 06:37 PM
Galifrey

The Part Number is 120-70 and was designed for the fury extreme or any other X-Cell using the CNC headblock 844 and plastic blade grips...

It includes shims to stiffen the damping, thrust bearings and a circlip'd axle...

You can find more details at http://www.x-cellrchelicopters.com click x-cell news and look at 2002 edition 2, all the details are there...