Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Trying to decide on plane or helicopter

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Trying to decide on plane or helicopter

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 09:58 PM
MT RC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to decide on plane or helicopter

Hey guys, I am trying to decide on my next purchase which will be around Christmas time. I used to have a cheapy Aerobird plane, and I thought it was really fun, but they broke and never got around to getting another one until now. I JUST picked up a PicooZ helicopter from RadioShack, and have been charging, flying, charging, flying non stop for like 4 hours! I have never had so much fun with an R/C.

I realize this little "toy" is nothing like the full sized nitro helicopters. I think a heli would be so much fun because I have a large yard, and a nitro plane can't fly on, but a heli could. But with the heli, I am afraid of getting bored with it since you can't really do anything but hover, and move around (3D not included).

The plane however, I know it will be really fun to fly around, but it will just be such a drag to get out to the field whenever I want to fly. So I turn to you guys. Which do you think would be better for me? I am not looking to spend more than around $400 for a nitro heli or plane.

Thanks so much you guys!!!
Old 11-05-2006, 03:19 AM
ross001

Default RE: Trying to decide on plane or helicopter

In my opinion...get the heli. A raptor 30, 50, Kyosho caliber 30 or 5 or the Century Hawk are all good helis. What size heli are you looking for and have you got any equipment or is all that in the $400 budget?
Old 11-05-2006, 09:09 AM
smallplanes
My Feedback: (3)

For that money you better get a Blade CP or the new Heli-Max AZE CP there around the $200 price range.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:55 AM
MT RC

Well, if it is going to be more, then by all means I will pay it. I am looking to get a decent nitro heli, unless electric would be better. It doesnt need to be fancy, just stable and reliable.

Also, why do you say heli? I know I am most likely getting a somewhat biased answer in the heli forums, but why not a plane? What is so good about helis over planes? Thanks!
Old 11-05-2006, 11:01 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

Can a plane hover inverted?

Nuff said!
Old 11-05-2006, 11:09 AM
MT RC

Haha, that is true. But how does it take for a complete noob to learn that?
Old 11-05-2006, 12:37 PM
ross001

I'd say about a year or less to master inverted, practice hard on a sim and fly at least once a week if possible.

About the heli...The most common choice is a Raptor 50. Buy a decent gyro like a 401 with a 9254 servo. You don't need high torque/speed servos but you'll probably want to upgrade to better servos later on. Do you have a radio?? If not I'd recommend the 9CHP or 7CHP.
This will cost well over $400 but you get what you pay for.

Before you buy a heli find a club (If you're not already at one) and see what helis and radios they are using. Your best bet is to buy a heli with parts support in your area and which experienced club members have knowledge of.

Ross
Old 11-05-2006, 12:48 PM
MT RC

If I get a decent (cheap) nitro, with the bare minimum of everything else, how much will that cost approx.? If it is going to be like $700+ then I will not get one because I cannot afford it.
Old 11-05-2006, 01:39 PM
Kevinator9

Most likely 700+. New Caliber 3 is made for begginers yet it can do a little 3d. I am getting a package here for NZ$1300. About US$800. That is quite cheap for a nitro heli (I think)
Old 11-05-2006, 05:04 PM
heli_Rod

Airplane....heli....airplane....heli.....airplane. ...heli? That's a no-brainer..Get a heli. Just ask any heli pilot! Be sure to get a good simulator!

After flying heli's more than 30 years, I still get goose bumps watching my scale coming back in on approach!

Rod (By the way..it's addictive)
Old 11-05-2006, 05:52 PM
MT RC

Ok, how much will a set-up cost for a cheap, but not crappy nitro?
Old 11-05-2006, 07:15 PM
heli_Rod

Check out Gohbee's site. I have one of their 50 size Stingers and love it. They have a 30 size that is very reasonable.
They are pretty much a copy of the Raptors, but with a better designed rotor head..Parts are inexpensive too.

http://gohbee.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

It's hard to beat their prices.

Rod
Old 11-05-2006, 07:39 PM
MT RC

What about this one?

http://www.helihobby.com/html/nitro_...elicopter.html
Old 11-05-2006, 07:57 PM
hotshabit

If you have absolutely nothing already and need to get everything for a "cheap but not crappy nitro" and your total budget is $700 I would suggest get a plane first. Nitro heli's are expensive to get into to begin with, then you have maintenence costs (parts wearing out), crash costs and fuel costs. For a decent 30-50 size machine, radio, gyro, engine, servo's, and field gear such as a starter, starting shaft, glow driver, fuel pump and fuel you will be lucky to stay under $1000 unless you can find a used one.

A good simulator would be a very wise investment if you are serious about getting into RC heli's, it will save you many hundreds of dollars in crash costs.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:11 PM
MT RC

Hmm... but what about the mini heli I showed you?
Old 11-05-2006, 08:18 PM
hotshabit

I personally wouldn't touch that heli with a ten foot pole. I can just imagine the tuning nightmares that come with those tiny motors. Then theres parts availability for it also.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:32 PM
MT RC

Yeah, well I really wanted a nitro heli... but I guess it is not going to happen.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:41 PM
hotshabit

Keep an eye out on the classifieds here and at runryder. My buddy picked up a used Raptor 50 ready to fly with a JR 8103 radio for $650 from a guy on runryder. Good deals are out there, you just got to look around.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:01 PM
bnrusso

Strange, but I think most of the people in this are are just a bit biased.
This is a heli forum, isn't it?
Not too sure of whay your neighbors would think about flying a nitro heli in your back yard.
I also don't know if any of your neighbors might possibly also be on a frequency channel you might choose.
For $400 you can almost get both. There is a new esky cp2 3D heli (not mark 2) on ebay for $150 shipped.
http://cgi.ebay.com/2007-VERSION-HON...QQcmdZViewItem

And you can get a decent complete 2nd electric flight pack for about $125 http://www.slickzero.com/Merchant2/m..._Code=Airplane

Along with a 3-d bipe for $30 you can do both and have double the fun.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKFB3&P=7
Old 11-05-2006, 10:36 PM
heli_Rod

I hope everyone is making suggestions that are reasonable options for you and not just personal preferences. It's up to you to select what you will get, but the minimum to get started in nitro helis will be close to $700.00 minimum. It might be able to be done for less, but you are really going to have to shop to find the bargains. Buying "cheap" quality isn't advised on helis, but you don't have to have top of the line equipment to start either. Use this forum as information and pick and choose what you what out of it. Remember "Opinions are like ....everyone has one and most of them stink!

Buying a used one isn't a good idea either, unless you know the person who had it and how it was treated and maintained. Check your local club for heli pilots who can help you decide what you need and are a source of information and instruction.

Buying a simulator is a necessity as far as I'm concerned. One crash will pay for the cost! I flown helis over 30 years and I still use a sim to practice on. Don't leave home without one!

Just my 2 cents worth.

Rod
Old 11-06-2006, 04:48 AM
jez33

hi..
there are a few cheep helis that might suit you but they wont be as good as say a raptor or similar.
i was given a LMH corona heli as i was teaching a friend to fly helis with his heli (which is the LMH ) but he just didnt have enough time for it so he said i could have it..

they are a simple set of mechanics and when you look at it you would be highly doubtful that the thing could fly but when i got it up in the air the 1st time i was well amazed that some thing so cheep and simple could fly quite as nice as it did..

true to say they dont fly as good as my raptors or varios but these go reasonably cheep on ebay in germany and i assume USA too..but they will teach you some more basics with nitro helis..
they are great in that they can take loads of punishment with crashes.. you should have seen some of the crashes my friend had while he had the sticks and mostly all we had to do was to straiten a couple of things and reconnect ball links ect..only one time though the main tooth gear was missing some teeth but that was it ..if you do choose this path though these arent really a 3d machine at least the nitro one (tho the electric ones look pretty good i think and will do it )plus if you did get one then id recommended you buy the new version novel engine with it as the versions before can be a head ache to keep running but they arnt imposable to keep running..
you can also buy a few scale fuselages for them and i will do this too when i get the newer version engine i think..

they arent say a perfect answer to what your looking for but for cheapness and a nitro heli they are quite good plus you dont need a computer radio but only need a small amount of equipment (a glo start, 12v batt and starter )..when you get happier with the hobby then simply either buy a scale fuselage for it or sell it again...
but if you can afford it i would still put my money to wards a raptor 30 and all the electrics you need ect..
Old 11-06-2006, 06:39 AM
Karyn

Whether you decide to go heli or plane the startup costs for nitro will be exactly the same.

Radio gear (TX, RX, servos, battery) (Most 'good' radios will work for both)
Field equipment (Starter + battery, Fuel + pump, Glow accessories, basic tools, field box, field charger, etc.)
Nitro motor + exhaust (similar price for both heli or plane)
All the little bits and bobs you never knew you needed untill you need one at the field... (and its Sunday and the LHS is closed...)

THEN

Cost of plane
or
Cost of heli + Gyro

A basic Heli kit will always cost more than a plane, but most ARTF Helis are available in deals with motor included at a discount whereas planes tend not to include motors. You'll still need all the above though for both.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:38 PM
MT RC

Is this the heli you are talking about?

http://www.helihobby.com/html/lmh_116_117.html

If so, it looks neat. Cheap, and has a combo with radia, engine and all. Just no gyro (what is that?). Does anyone have anything to say about this model? Thanks!
Old 11-06-2006, 04:11 PM
jez33

yes thats one of the models ..
it comes with a strange mechanical ( no electrics ) gyro which i think is not very good for the beginner so i would still buy a piezo gyro to improve it..
as i said above tho they fly ok but not as good as the bigger brothers
Old 11-06-2006, 05:13 PM
MT RC

What makes the mechanical gyro so bad for a beginner?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.