Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

First scale project help

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

First scale project help

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2003, 03:25 PM
Tek
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First scale project help

I have a shuttle plus and a Kyosho bell 222 fuse. What is the best way to mount the fuse to the frames? The kit did not come with any wood supports. I also was wondering if it was ok to not use boom supports without risk of tail control problems.
Old 01-26-2003, 03:57 PM
BIGRCR
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First scale project help

NOt using boom supports will be OK as you should be mounting the tail box into the rear of the fuse anyway. If concerned, a short set of tail boom support rods can be made up if they will fit and MAY offer some additional support.

The way that I mount the frames into the fuselage is to first set the mechanics into the fuse and see if everything CAN line up and solve any potential problems first (ie- having to slide back a little farther than expected to get the tail box relocated, installing a longer boom all together, internal clearance at mounting hieght,etc.)
After I see how things are going to line up, I use various wood blocks, shims,etc. to set the mechanics at the required height and position. I then cut permanent blocks the correct size and shape fitting fuse contours/ mounting angles and then set the mechanics in on them and re-check. A note here; try to make the blocks cover a decent amount of surface area inside of the fuse to spread out the load. If one or more of the skids must be move to a location other than under a frame point, then cut some blocks for those locations that also covers some additional area inside if possible and then "tie" these blocks into each other along the inside bottom of the fuse.

Next, tack glue the blocks into the inside of the fuselage in location. I use the "black" CA glue for this as it is slightly flexible and is perfect for this. I always wash the entire fuselage and glass parts in warm soapy water to remove all mould release first. Then scuff up the mounting locations inside of the fuse.

Re-mount your mechanics and bolt everything up and see if it worked as planned. If not go back a fix things now! Remember to mount the tail boom somehow into the fuse. As I said before, most times I mount the tail box by the fin mounting holes using a block that glues into the tail of the fuse, then I can put the screws in for mounting and take them out to disassemble. Most often the fuselage's tail fin will cover the screws if you countersink the tail box mounting screws into the mounting block.

Next, glass in the blocks with cloth and epoxy resin. I use Z-Poxy Finishing Resin by ZAP, it works great for this. Make sure you get good coverage as this will also be your fuel proofing. I also add washers in (or small metal plates) on top of the wood at this time to reduce wear at the mounting points.

Make sure you install points at the top of the fuselage to mount up the mechanics at the top too. This is VERY important or you will experience the harmonic NASties!

Hope this helps!!