Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Engine bogging at high pitch

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Engine bogging at high pitch

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 06:52 PM
rcmaster-RCU
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine bogging at high pitch

I have a raptor 50 SE w/ the os 50 sx-h engine running 600 mavrik/heliproz blades. I have a GV-1 set to 1900 rpm. At high pitches, both negative and positive, the engine bogs down and the blades lose rpms dramatically and I have no pull out. The heli flys great otherwise. I have the pitch maxed out for 3d witch I think is +- 10 degrees according to the manual. I am also running 30% youngblood fuel.

Always appreciate the help,

Alex.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:24 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Engine bogging at high pitch

It's not the blades... could be engine not tweeked to the right point, too lean or rich. What temp are you at when you land? The govenor will not help you with this. It can not give you more than 100% throttle to get your head speed up. The govenor should be turned off, the helo set up correctly, then turn the govenor on for the minor inconsistancies. The motor should pull 10degrees with those blades so my opinion is to tweek the motor.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:10 PM
BarracudaHockey

Received 356 Likes on 286 Posts

Well.....those blades load up easily but I'd be more concerned if you are actually getting 100 percent throttle. The end points need to be atleast 85 on the throttle channel, closer to 100 is better with the gv1, also upping the head speed to 2000 will keep the os near its power band.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:24 PM
soop7667

I agree with both Baracuda and Evan. I would make sure that your GV-1 is calibrated to as close to 100% as possible on your end points, and I would also disable the gov. to set up a good working throttle curve and check the tuning of your engine. After that I would start using the Gov. again, and speed your head up to 2000 RPMs. If you're not sure on the engine tuning there's plenty of step by step instructions on the web. Check out the Raptor Technique site. There's tons of set-up help there.

I want to say it's too rich on the top end, but that's just a guess.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:08 PM
syclic

You didn't mention how many degrees of pitch you have dialed in at the top and the bottom.

Your engine has just so much power, say to turn 600mm blades at 11 degrees at 1900. So if you have 12 degrees set in, all your governor can do when it detects a drop in rotor speed, is to open the throttle fully (which it may already be). But if the load (more then 11 degrees) is more then the engine can deal with at wide open throttle, then adding a governor and setting it to 1900 does not mean you will get more power to maintain that 1900. All it means is that the governor will open your throttle to its wide open position.

The governor will only open the throttle to max open, it cannot make your engine develop more power at that opening.
Old 09-15-2007, 06:15 AM
BarracudaHockey

I think is +- 10 degrees according to the manual.
Are you using that silly thing on the side frame or a real pitch gauge, cuz until you know for sure the rest is just an academic discussion.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:10 AM
rcmaster-RCU

I hate to admit it, but I am only going by the marks on the chassis for pitch. I have the pitch maxed as far as it will go in both directions without hitting the frame and didn't think to care what the actual degrees were because I have it set up as far as it will travel. As far as engine tuning goes, I am pretty confident it is tuned well. It could be too rich if anything. I will try leaning it out a bit. I don't have any operating temp specs. A very accomplished local heli pilot told me that if you can hold your finger on the backplate of the engine with it not getting burnt then the engine is running at a good temp. Don't know if thats BS, but that is what I have always gone by. Syclic talked about 100% on both end points for the GV-1. Is that meaning the throttle position being at 100% for both ends? I am not in full understanding about throttle/pitch curves and I had the heli running good w/out the govenor, but it still bogged down the same way and the throttle I had set to wide open in the idle up. That may be the problem. I didn't change my idle up settings with the addition of the govenor. If I do need to change it, what do I set it to?
Old 09-15-2007, 07:39 PM
BarracudaHockey

Get a pitch gauge and set the pitch with it. 0 at mid stick, +- 10 in idle up. I'll not be surprised to hear you say you were trying to pull 14 or 15 degrees of pitch.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:18 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You need to get a better "accomplished pilot" to help you or get him to really take a look at what you have. The pitch needs to be set up with a proper gage and the best way to tell if the motor is tuned right is by temp on the back of the head. Low end adjustment is by pinching the fuel line and see how long it runs. There are many posts about this here. I would disconnect the gov until you get the basics right. Where are you located? Maybe one of us is close....