Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

for the radio genius

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

for the radio genius

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 09:41 PM
Mark 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default for the radio genius

Would you trust flying your jet with a Futaba 8uaf with a Spektrom dsm2 (dm8) ? Is it time for a new radio? This radio has served me well for years,and three years ago has logged ten flights on my JHH Kfir with complete success. Is it worth upgrading this radio to 2.4? Thank you in advance for any and all advice Mark.

Old 10-10-2010, 12:41 AM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: for the radio genius

Don't cheap out on a radio...it is the only link between you and your somewhat expensive jet. You will find that you cannot have too many channels...9 is the absolute minimum unless you have a shelf full of Matchboxes......12 is good, 14 is even better ......

Old 10-10-2010, 10:57 AM
i3dm
My Feedback: (51)

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

If it were me, i wouldnt trust that combo on my jet. get yourself a 10C Fasst and have fun.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:04 AM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

Or an 11X...

Beave
Old 10-10-2010, 11:11 AM
Darryl Usher

Just because it is new doesn't mean it will work!
Darryl Usher
Old 10-10-2010, 11:20 AM
Pegasus

Well put!!!
Old 10-10-2010, 12:31 PM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Darryl Usher

Just because it is new doesn't mean it will work!
Darryl Usher
[sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif] I had a 8U super I hated to give up!!! One more rock solid TX it was!!!!
Old 10-10-2010, 12:31 PM
realdeal
My Feedback: (45)

I used a Futaba 9C / Spektrum DM-8 combo on a ton of planes. It never gave me a glitch in several hundred flights. If yours has been trouble free and you don't really want to change then that combo should work just fine for basic jets. You will probably want more channels for the more complicated planes but that is not what you asked.

I recently upgraded to a Futaba 12FG. It is WAY more flexible than the 8U/9C radios. The 14MZ and 12Z have essentially the same type of programming with different interfaces. They are all 12+2 channel radios. You have 12 fully proportional and 2 on/off channels. I'm happy with mine.

I have messed with the JR 9503 quite a bit and don't like the programming. Even having spent a lot of time on the DX7 it was not intuitive. For example you have to visit multiple menus to enable dual aileron servos. A programming option that common should be a single choice in a top menu.

I have not spent much time with the JR 11X or 12X. A couple guys I fly with have them and seem happy. I looked hard at the 11X but the pricing is sneaky. They advertise it as an 11 channel system but only send you a 9 channel receiver. If you want to take advantage of the 11 channels you have to spend another $200 on a receiver. Keep that in mind if you need the extra channels.

Old 10-10-2010, 02:15 PM
FILE IFR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Mark 5

Would you trust flying your jet with a Futaba 8uaf with a Spektrom dsm2 (dm8) ?
I certainly wouldn't. In your vehicle, would you install an AM radio with an 8-Track player instead of a decent FM stereo/ CD player?... Yes it's much cheaper and it would work, but don't drive under any bridges.

If I were in your shoes, I'd rid that radio of the Direct Sequencing Module (DSM) and install a Futaba FASST module... then you can drive under ANY 'bridge' you want to.

Old 10-10-2010, 04:38 PM
David Gladwin

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

[quote]ORIGINAL: FILE IFR

ORIGINAL: Mark 5

If I were in your shoes, I'd rid that radio of the Direct Sequencing Module (DSM) and install a Futaba FASST module... then you can drive under ANY 'bridge' you want to.

Or of course you could come right up to date and buy a state of the art Weatronics system which makes everything else, FASST etc., look rather crude. Just installed my seventh Wea 2.4 system (12-20 Gyro 111) in a jet last evening, this stuff is magic. Tonight I install a 12-30 Gyro 111 with GPS in an Airworld Hawk. No more powerboxes, no more matchboxes, no more external gyros, and far fewer cables

FAAST and DSM BOTH work extremely well as simple, basic RF links, Wea gives you THREE links and a whole lot more, ALL of it really useful.

Regards, David Gladwin.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:00 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Didn't I hear that Weatronic had a re-call on some of the systems in production? or a software bug that was kept very close to the chest.

Mike
Old 10-10-2010, 06:45 PM
David Gladwin

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

YOU might have done I certainly have not and I have been using the 2.4 system since preproduction versions became available and I currently have 7 receivers on 2.4 (12-30, 12-22. Micro 8,10,(2) and 12 channels, plus the new Smart 8 with gyro. with 3 on 35/36 all working to perfection. The first 12 ch Micro was installed in my BobCat XL at Scampton in May 2009 and worked perfectly in UK and Australia, now replaced with a 12 ch Micro with 3 gyros !

The Smart 8 will go in a Savex L39, the unit weights just 16gms WITH a programmable gyro !

I have not heard of any recall but I know there were a number of things they wanted to improve such as the downlink which now works on BOTH antennae and is much more robust. Host of other tweeks too, all introduced in V 2.30.

Difference between us Mike is that I have lot of hands on experience and use the equipment extensively in complex and expensive jets, and cannot speak too highly of it (and I have used some VERY sophisticated and expensive avionics in my job, generally attached to Boeings !) whereas you seem to take a negative approach based on hearsay ! Agenda ?

Comparing FASST and DSM with Weatronics is like comparing the avionics of a 707 with those of the A380 !

Regards, David.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:16 PM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I flew my first jet with the super 8 radio and the JR module for several flights. It certainly worked fine, but.. I decided to upgrade at that time to the 9503 and then the 12X.. I would recommend you go up to at least 10+ channel radio just to make the programming much more simple and flexible, and to get rid of the module, no matter which brand you fly..

I just bundled all my FM receivers and all the radio stuff and sold it on ebay and converted to 2.4..
Old 10-10-2010, 09:18 PM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

too bad the new system wont work with the 12X 2.4 Transmitter (non module).
I asked our US rep and he said he needed the removable module slot, which our 2.4 only version wont do..

ORIGINAL: David Gladwin

YOU might have done I certainly have not and I have been using the 2.4 system since preproduction versions became available and I currently have 7 receivers on 2.4 (12-30, 12-22. Micro 8,10,(2) and 12 channels, plus the new Smart 8 with gyro. with 3 on 35/36 all working to perfection. The first 12 ch Micro was installed in my BobCat XL at Scampton in May 2009 and worked perfectly in UK and Australia, now replaced with a 12 ch Micro with 3 gyros !

The Smart 8 will go in a Savex L39, the unit weights just 16gms WITH a programmable gyro !

I have not heard of any recall but I know there were a number of things they wanted to improve such as the downlink which now works on BOTH antennae and is much more robust. Host of other tweeks too, all introduced in V 2.30.

Difference between us Mike is that I have lot of hands on experience and use the equipment extensively in complex and expensive jets, and cannot speak too highly of it (and I have used some VERY sophisticated and expensive avionics in my job, generally attached to Boeings !) whereas you seem to take a negative approach based on hearsay ! Agenda ?

Comparing FASST and DSM with Weatronics is like comparing the avionics of a 707 with those of the A380 !

Regards, David.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:07 PM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I have this combo in two jets and works very well.

However this days you can buy a nice new 2.44 radio with 9 or 10 channels for a couple hundred dollars more than a 2.44 module .. IMO, the way to go.

Enrique.