Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

The new Tornado sport jet

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

The new Tornado sport jet

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 02:04 PM
ModellbauUK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The new Tornado sport jet

ORIGINAL: TimWatson

ORIGINAL: Xairflyer

The last one I done was only just over 14lb so yes if you are talking 18+ they might not be upto the job, they need to come out with a 10-12Kg size would suit a lot of jets out there.

There you go. These are very good

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._X_Large_.html
Look way too flimsy. Not trailing link either so wouldn't be my choice

Old 06-02-2012, 06:10 AM
maydog75

The last one I done was only just over 14lb so yes if you are talking 18+ they might not be upto the job, they need to come out with a 10-12Kg size would suit a lot of jets out there.

Tim,
I have seen these before. Have you had any trouble using these these? I'm thinking about trying them just because they are a cheap temporary solution until someone (i.e. Robart) makes some electrics. They look right for fitment for the tornado. I'm very tired of spending a fortune on retracts that only fit a certain style aircraft. I just spent a mortgage payment on Sierra's for a Don Smith 122" Corsair. Enough of holding us hobby guys under siege just because you can..
Old 06-03-2012, 05:26 PM
lenhard2007
My Feedback: (6)

ok guys sorry it took me so long to post vid of the new v3 flying. the vid was messed up and i finally got around to messing with it...also keep in mind this was only at half throtle on a p70...the plane only wieghs 16pds with a full uat
www.youtube.com/watch
Old 06-03-2012, 07:20 PM
jetster81

ORIGINAL: ModellbauUK

I am using them in my latest build and they are not flimsy at all, Why must they be trailing link?
Old 06-03-2012, 11:47 PM
ModellbauUK

That's good jetster so they're are not flimsy, can't tell that from the photo.

Also, trailing link would be my choice for the tornado, I'm prone to bending straight struts on our grass field so would always go for trailing link as these work for me.

Not saying you have to use them. What ever works for you.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:37 AM
phantom_najd
My Feedback: (2)

I have an old P-80 that I'm thinking of bolting to the new V3. Anything I should know before I start my build? Where should I place my batteries and other equipments to achieve the CG? Do I need to make any modifications to the engine mount for the P-80? Thanks in advance.

Azzam
Old 06-04-2012, 09:30 PM
Sparhawk

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys - make sure you pressure test your fuel tank. Ifitted up my tank and pressureized it with some air and submersed it in the good ol kitchen sink. Bubbles!!
Ihad about5 spots that were shedding bubbles, so don't take a chance and asssume that it is good to go. Test it before you have a leaking mess in the jet. 1 oz cloth, doubled up and glued with some West System epoxy worked perfectly... just make sure you scuff the surface first.

Dan

One thing that did annoy me a little was after all the gripes about the fuse formers and their crappy glue in the V1 and V2, they are no better in the V3. Be prepared to knock them loose and reglue with some Hysol. The former just forward of the nose retract former wasn't even glued in mine, so Iam glad Ihad some long Hysolmixing nozzles to hand.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:29 AM
maydog75

Henry, any eta on the June shipment? Thanks!
Old 06-10-2012, 11:20 AM
Modellbau USA
My Feedback: (5)

I got an ETA from customs of th container being released around the 28th.
If anybody has paid and ordered then you will have a plane. Any body on the wait list I'm sorry to say but the planes are all taken and shoul have more early fall
Old 06-10-2012, 11:47 AM
TimWatson
Banned

ORIGINAL: ModellbauUK

If anyone has seen these and had a set in there hands I can assure you they are not flimsey at all. They are very high quality
Old 06-20-2012, 10:06 AM
rcpm5

has anyone with the tornado v3/rabbit 100 stressed the v3in flight (200+mph) how is it holding up?

Old 06-20-2012, 02:40 PM
david robinson

I have a P100 on mine that Henry sold me and have had it at full power passes and it is holding up fine, just scares the $&@? Out of me because a plane that small going that fast is nuts. But I do it sometimes. I'm sure if you yank and bank any plane at that speed it will break but I have been pretty gentle when going full bore on my P100. Great flying plane.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:43 PM
747junky

I agree the plane is a bullet with a 23lb thrust engine. I am using the rabbit and it I very over powered. Plane is holding up nice no issues I agree with David that if I maneuver hard at that speed I think any plane would break. I have not radared it but it's going faster than anther I have flown.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:25 PM
TimWatson
Banned

Overpowered models fly far less well than ones with the correct turbine. I wonder when people will learn and understand this. The correct turbine for this model size is a 60 - 70 Newton one
Old 06-21-2012, 06:21 AM
megafly

A K80 is perfect for the new and the old Tornado...
Old 06-22-2012, 05:51 PM
Sparhawk

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, with the new v3, how is the balancing with the heavier booms and wings?
Anyone got any layout pics they want to share?

Dan
Old 06-24-2012, 05:34 PM
rcpm5

this canopy and tub that came with my v3 seems so flimsy, has anyone made any modifications to improve?

Old 06-24-2012, 10:44 PM
rcpm5

not only is it flimsy, after i carefully cut along the guide lines on the canopy and tub they are not wide enough or the fuselag is too wide.  anybody else having similar experience?  if so, how did you resolve?
Old 06-25-2012, 02:21 AM
Modellbau USA
My Feedback: (5)

The cockpit tub does not fit over the fuselage it sit on top and then you glue to canopy over the cockpit tub. Also for the canopy do not cut exactly the line always cut it bigger and then do final trimming after you have it in place and secured. This is not a very easy step to do in the build. If you guys mess up the canopy you can pick one up from Ray at Nor-ray products. You can reach him at
[email protected].

He makes up all our cockpit tubs.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:09 PM
C185Pilot
My Feedback: (25)

Henry: Is the V3 upgrade kit still available for the V2. Didn't see it on the website. BTW does the old landing gear fit the upgrade wings? Thanks.

Mike
Old 06-25-2012, 10:56 PM
TimWatson
Banned

ORIGINAL: megafly

A K80 is perfect for the new and the old Tornado...
Too much power and weight and the K80 looks way too big on the rear
Old 06-26-2012, 07:35 AM
leopaul

ORIGINAL: rcpm5

not only is it flimsy, after i carefully cut along the guide lines on the canopy and tub they are not wide enough or the fuselag is too wide. anybody else having similar experience? if so, how did you resolve?

Same issue here, no fix found yet, as well as the wheel well doesn't fit required modification, no one of the former was properley glued, even one in the middle was loose, front landing gear block falled in my hand just by screwing the mounting screws!!!

Definitely not a beginner airplaine, need to be completely revised when building.... Hope that the inside of wing are done properly....

Old 06-26-2012, 01:17 PM
rcpm5

that is the scary part.  all this hype about carbon fiber, you wonder if it was applied properly. 
Old 06-26-2012, 03:01 PM
maydog75

Personally I think of it as the "nitro planes" of turbines, and no I'm not talking about kit moding like the falcon. It's a $500 turbine airframe. Seems like a lot of money but realistically in the turbine world it's a just the price of a bifurcated pipe or some wheels. Of course there is going to be issues with building it but I still think its cool to have a company trying to get people into the turbine world cheaply. Thus far Henry has been great imo on this thread about helping and customer service. Maybe some people should pay a few mortgage payments to BVM then try to get some customer service, keep holding your breath. I did.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:05 PM
warbird51
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: maydog75

Personally I think of it as the ''nitro planes'' of turbines, and no I'm not talking about kit moding like the falcon. It's a $500 turbine airframe. Seems like a lot of money but realistically in the turbine world it's a just the price of a bifurcated pipe or some wheels. Of course there is going to be issues with building it but I still think its cool to have a company trying to get people into the turbine world cheaply. Thus far Henry has been great imo on this thread about helping and customer service. Maybe some people should pay a few mortgage payments to BVM then try to get some customer service, keep holding your breath. I did.

I'm very happy with my V2 Tornado. The only complaint would be with the stock canopy. A Nor-Ray replacement canopy sure fixed that. I have a JetCat P-60 and it's a perfect match for the airframe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.