Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

FAA Decision Looms on Model Aircraft Regulations

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

FAA Decision Looms on Model Aircraft Regulations

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 11:21 AM
FliteMetal

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: FAA Decision Looms on Model Aircraft Regulations

ORIGINAL: airkiller With so much on the line I can only hope we modelers have the very, very best... sitting at the table talking with the FAA.
That would be "had". The discussion was over some time back...the results of which are yet to be published.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:39 AM
John Casey
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since the jury's still out....I hope we had Perry Mason pleading our case and not .......Barney fife.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:48 AM
JoeEagle
My Feedback: (26)

ORIGINAL: AndyAndrews

ORIGINAL: JoeEagle

Just joined. Someone mentioned ''Contrails''. is that a JPO magazine?

Yes
So does "Contrails" come in the mail?

Old 12-04-2010, 10:52 AM
JoeEagle

this might be of interest to some.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16747.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	1530203  
Old 12-04-2010, 11:22 AM
trioval00
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Joe, Contrails magazine is sent to each JPO member via snail mail. As you have just joined JPO, I am not sure if you will make the last quarterly issue of 2010 as they are being shipped as we speak. I just received my package of them last week, and from what I read, looks like one of our best issues.

Mark
Old 12-04-2010, 11:23 AM
STKNRUD

Since there are many new congressmen in DC who are busy and don't have all the "contacts", does anyone know who the primary players are on the FAA side besides the director? If we write or call our congressional reps, we might be more effective if we could help them help us by provide them some names like the FAA's committee chairman..

George
Old 12-04-2010, 12:40 PM
JoeEagle

Mark

maybe Keith can find an extra copy, ESPECIALLY if it is the best issue to date..way to tease a new guy!

Old 12-04-2010, 12:44 PM
JoeEagle

there are a number of folks here who have said that they have called the UAPO multiple times. I would submit that they would know who the POC is.

btw, not sure what you mean by FAA committee chairman? chairman of what? what committee? the ARC finished its work in April 2009. Bruce is no longer at FAA.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:15 PM
FliteMetal

Joe and Others...

The FAA seperated UAV and recreational R/C in its last recreational R/C definition. They have sense further constrained UAV use, especially autonomous UAV flight. There is a suggested contact list out there... Negotiation is over with folks...in fact it was not negotiation but review of the ARC resolution and tightening of the FAA's resolution...focused on UAV and from what has been leaked, it is the UAV industry who is out to see everyone else (recreational R/C) suffer their fate.

No one knows for sure as the FAA publication of their most recent resolve was to be mid summer and word came down it is slipping into Fall of 2011. For that matter it may never be issued as a contrammand of their ARC resolve. More or less, when the "public" input period occurs after the FAA publishes their resolve, if and when... ;^) That is when a letter writing, etc effort is perceived to occur.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:21 PM
STKNRUD

ORIGINAL: JoeEagle

there are a number of folks here who have said that they have called the UAPO multiple times. I would submit that they would know who the POC is.

btw, not sure what you mean by FAA committee chairman? chairman of what? what committee? the ARC finished its work in April 2009. Bruce is no longer at FAA.
I am late to the dialog..sorry. Just trying find out who and when to write to.

George
Old 12-04-2010, 08:55 PM
rolsen12

Who is going to inforce these rules?????????
Old 12-04-2010, 09:23 PM
STKNRUD

ORIGINAL: rolsen12

Who is going to inforce these rules?????????
For those flying off public fields, I would suspect the city, county, etc. And if the club's use of the field is threatened, the clubs themselves.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:49 AM
Bob.R
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: FliteMetal
No one knows for sure as the FAA publication of their most recent resolve was to be mid summer and word came down it is slipping into Fall of 2011. For that matter it may never be issued as a contrammand of their ARC resolve. More or less, when the ''public'' input period occurs after the FAA publishes their resolve, if and when... ;^) That is when a letter writing, etc effort is perceived to occur.
Ed, where are you getting your info regarding the slipping schedule?
Old 12-05-2010, 06:15 AM
FliteMetal

ORIGINAL: Bob.R
No one knows for sure as the FAA publication of their most recent resolve was to be mid summer and word came down it is slipping
into Fall of 2011. For that matter it may never be issued as a contrammand of their ARC resolve. More
or less, when the ''public'' input period occurs after the FAA publishes their resolve, if and when...
;^) That is when a letter writing, etc effort is perceived to occur.
Bob,

I took the time to find the proper person to ask.

What is said to be published will be "change", if and when it is published. Remember the FAA's focus was on autonomous UAV,
not recreational r/c. Once the UAV industry was further constrained it appears they invested in a lot of negative press lobbying
the FAA
to further constrain recreational r/c. I stated all this in my previous post.

There are two camps...

Those r/c'ers who scream, jump up and down, make smoke, and noise about something yet to be disclosed (aka announced and
learned)...

or...

Those r/c'ers who plan a course of action to be taken if and when a publication further constraining recreational r/c, were to occur.
The latter is what I understand is where the legal beagles and eagles are on this matter...and have worked on it for about six years.
This is I believe the camp AMA SIGs are subscribed to and many have begun a proactive educational campaign with a course of
action

Join a SIG, there is one for literally every r/c activity... The SIG is your voice, and your proper representative in this matter.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:47 AM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

Ed is right. We need to have a unified and rational response to the FAA position (if required). Threats to burn down the FAA or totally ignore any rules handed down by the FAA won't do us any good. I am sure the AMA with the SIGs and the hobbby industry will offer a suggested response by us...the modelers who also are the voter/taxpayers who fund the whole ball of wax. In the mean time make sure you are an AMA member and SIG member if appropriate to give numbers ...there is safety in numbers and power. Lets not go out in a Fire - ready- aim frenzy but act in a reasonable manner which will allow our representatives to speak and show that we are not the enemy. We can defeat this insanity if we remain unified and rational.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:02 AM
JoeEagle

Ed, are you saying that the June 2011 date for release of proposed rule (NPRM) is going to change further to the right (later)?

you said you found the right person to ask. who would that be?
Old 12-05-2010, 09:22 AM
jetflyr

What is said to be published will be ''change'', if and when it is published. Remember the FAA's focus was on autonomous UAV,
not recreational r/c. Once the UAV industry was further constrained it appears they invested in a lot of negative press lobbying
the FAA

There are two camps...

Those r/c'ers who scream, jump up and down, make smoke, and noise about something yet to be disclosed (aka announced and
learned)...

or...

Those r/c'ers who plan a course of action to be taken if and when a publication further constraining recreational r/c, were to occur.
The latter is what I understand is where the legal beagles and eagles are on this matter...and have worked on it for about six years.
This is I believe the camp AMA SIGs are subscribed to and many have begun a proactive educational campaign with a course of
action

Join a SIG, there is one for literally every r/c activity... The SIG is your voice, and your proper representative in this matter.

THANKYOU!
Finally a thoughtful and useful post!
Greg
Old 12-05-2010, 01:37 PM
FliteMetal

ORIGINAL: JoeEagle "Ed, are you saying that the June 2011 date for release of proposed rule (NPRM) is going to change further to the right (later)?
You said you found the right person to ask. Who would that be?
I really don't know how to reply. Was there something confusing about the message between the lines I and everyone have written? Information is accumulative to all disclosures over the last six years as this issue worked its way through ARC until 3:37pm CST, 12/05/2010. I know this may sound rude, curt, and sound in so many other ways than what each and everyone reading this thinks it shoulda, coulda...if it woulda...

Folks, the barn is burnt to the ground, cat's out of the bag, fish is off the hook, bird has flown the coop, and Evlis has left the building....It is, what ever it is that they say it is...if and when they ever get around to deciding to or not to say what it is they resolved yet didn't disclose the day they were satisfied with whatever it is they agreed to be the proper decision.

One thing is certain, history is always destine to repeat itself on this subject as long as paying close attention...is someone else's job!
Old 12-05-2010, 01:46 PM
STKNRUD

ORIGINAL: JoeEagle ''Ed, are you saying that the June 2011 date for release of proposed rule (NPRM) is going to change further to the right (later)?
You said you found the right person to ask. Who would that be?
I really don't know how to reply. Was there something confusing about the message between the lines I and everyone have written? Information is accumulative to all disclosures over the last six years as this issue worked its way through ARC until 3:37pm CST, 12/05/2010. I know this may sound rude, curt, and sound in so many other ways than what each and everyone reading this thinks it shoulda, coulda...if it woulda...

Folks, the barn is burnt to the ground, cat's out of the bag, fish is off the hook, bird has flown the coop, and Evlis has left the building....It is, what ever it is that they say it is...if and when they ever get around to deciding to or not to say what it is they resolved yet didn't disclose the day they were satisfied with whatever it is they agreed to be the proper decision.

One thing is certain, history is always destine to repeat itself on this subject as long as paying close attention...is someone else's job!

Ed,

You left out..."the cake is baked". but I think you made your point...a couple times.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:09 PM
trioval00
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 12-05-2010, 04:52 PM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

Need to let this cool off.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:31 PM
JoeEagle

ORIGINAL: Bob.R
No one knows for sure as the FAA publication of their most recent resolve was to be mid summer and word came down it is slipping
into Fall of 2011. For that matter it may never be issued as a contrammand of their ARC resolve. More
or less, when the ''public'' input period occurs after the FAA publishes their resolve, if and when...
;^) That is when a letter writing, etc effort is perceived to occur.
Bob,

I took the time to find the proper person to ask.

What is said to be published will be ''change'', if and when it is published. Remember the FAA's focus was on autonomous UAV,
the FAA

There are two camps...

learned)...

or...

action

Ed, where i was going was your specific statement that you "took the time to find the proper person to ask". I took that as, you specifically spoke with a POC with the authority to comment on the specifice release date of the rule via the NPRM process. I was curious who you spoke to.

I believe that Bob asked the same question.

Joe
Old 12-05-2010, 06:22 PM
FliteMetal

Joe,

I have never known you to be anti-recreational r/c though you press points that resemble that of the commerical UAV faction in this issue.

This whole issue goes back to paying attention along the path from six years ago.

Yes, I have had in depth conversation with individuals participating in dialog with the FAA and those of the UAV communtiy who are definately
not friendly to the recreational r/c community. Forgive me, I refuse to disclose who/where/when as that serves no purpose. What is the itch
you seek to scratch? What good is achieved within the JPO...AMA...FAI...or NAA by such disclosure?

Everyone associated with the UAV got slapped hard by the FAA. They turned back on everyone else who participated in ARC. That being the
recreational r/c community. Are you aligned with the UAV or recreational r/c community? Otherwise, what is the point of your hard press for
who, where, when?
Old 12-05-2010, 07:40 PM
JoeEagle

Wow.

since i am a JPO member and new jet guy, and support two different flying fields, have 3 jets and working on getting number 4, i think i am a "friend" of R/C.

i was just curious as to why you would make a statement about asking the right people wrt the date of the NPRM-but not state who that was. that's a pretty significant statement, and i would hope that if you have special knowledge of plans or changes to plans you would share that type of attributable knowledge with the R/C community.

Joe

Old 12-05-2010, 08:15 PM
STKNRUD

Ed,

I think there are a number of us who were wondering who your "deep throat" was. It's understandable if you don't want to say but I think it is a little much to infer that Joe or any of us are conspirators for the UAV group.

George

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.