Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Habu 32 with P-20 Conversion first flights :)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Habu 32 with P-20 Conversion first flights :)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 11:53 AM
Ali
My Feedback: (5)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Habu 32 with P-20 Conversion first flights :)

I am still smiling despite the frost bitten toes, and numb fingers. GSU's were reading -2 today, yet there was something super hot at the field and that was my new Habu 32.
I had a feeling that this might be an ideal choice for the new P-20 the moment I saw it. The guys from Horizon managed to get me one so I could try it out, and see how it worked out. I was that confident from the moment I unpacked the kit that I decided it would be worth investing in the development and production of a purpose made conversion kit for other who choose to do the same thing. The best person that I knew for the job was Marc Scully. After his efforts with the Skygate hawk conversion of ours, I knew his attention to detail and neatness would pay off in what was always going to be a tight install. ( As it turns out there was more room and more fuel than I ever expected)

I am not 100% sure on the total weight that Bu came out to ( Perhaps Marc can chime in, or I can weight it in. But that wont be for a few days as I am away filming some stuff for a TV show for a few days ) I was initially worried that the model would come out on the heavy side. As it turns out, the tried and tested Ali test of picking a model up before it flies to evaluate weight and C of G gave a conclusion of good balance, and a surprisingly low airframe weight.

When I first looked at the Bu out of the box I was concerned about where the fuel would go, and how much it could carry. To get a standard commercial plastic tank in and anywhere near the centre of gravity would require a small tank ( 20 oz) and the inlet ducting cut away to allow the tanks to move rearward. Marc's solution was precise as always. He decided to make a plug and tooling for composite triangular fuel tank that would fit perfectly between the inlets with no cutting required. It carries 800 cc of fuel and as was proven today flights of 9 mins ( With most of that being full power) were possible.

Marc then went on to tackle the issue of the hopper tank. I supplied him with a commercially available mini air trap. He was not over impressed with this, as it took up allot of space ( Plus the fittings seemed to be more suited to a 160 or Olympus type instal [:@]) He emailed me with the idea that he could fit a hopper tank as a moulded unit within the actual main tank itself. At first I was not over keen on the idea ( Only because I had not seen it done before) After Marc told me about the shortcomings in the Air trap we had I thought I would trust his idea and give it a shot. The end result is a super neat hopper tank thats moulded into the top of the fuel tank and clearly visible at anytime. The proof of the pudding was that the Habu 32 started first time. It had a single "fluff" on the first run up to full power, and after that did not fluff or stop once. On the 9 min flight the fuel system was proven by the fact that it ran every single drop of fuel from both main and hopper tank.

Marc was also not overly impressed with the tailpipe I had supplied. He decided to have one made especially, with a custom spun bell mouth. Both worked perfectly and show no signs of heat fatigue. I hope to log a bunch more flights next week to further prove the pipe, but looking at it closely today I cant see there being any issues.

Another area of concern was the electric retracts from eflite. Without knowing what the overall weight of the model with P-20 was going to come out at, we were worried that it may be above what the retracts are speced to. As it turns out they worked just fine.

I followed the controls settings from the instructions, which proved about right. I think the H32-P20 is going just a tad faster than what it ever will EDF so aileron rate was a little aggressive [X(] but fun. I think I managed something in excess of 12 rolls in just one little burst ( stopping these twinkle rolls at the right time was tough, but fun)

Take off ( Using suggested take off flap) from asphalt, into what must have been close to zero MPH headwind was around 30meters maximum. After a second or so clearing the gear I could pull the nose up and climb at around 50-60 degrees continually.

The model fly much like the smaller edf Habu, only with a supercharger I would hate to guess what the top speed is ( As its small, and small jets always appear to be going faster than they are) but I would say an easy 150-175 mph.
Maybe more.
At all times it remained feeling nice and solid on the controls. A touch sensitive at high speed and well balanced on all controls. The rudder felt nice and neutral in slow rolls. I forgot to see how it was of prolonged knife edge, but will do next time. It certainly didn't feel like it needed lots of coupling mixing.

Slow flight was superb. It needed 15% down elevator with landing flap. With this it assumed a solid slight nose down AoA and slowed comfortably to a walking pace. It remained perfectly controllable on roll and pitch and even with an almost full tank of fuel I could drag it around super slow figure of eights and circuits, and because of this landings were a breeze.

All in all, I am delighted with how this model and the turbine conversion has worked out. I have to admit to not being a huge small jet fan. I always had the feeling from the 44 sized jets that I had flown that they felt twitchy, skittish and ready to bite when slow. The Habu feels like a much larger jet on the sticks. I really like the fact that it can stay fully rigged as in these cold seasons it makes life allot easier when I arrive and leave the field. Also the small fuel load makes filling up a much quicker experience, and with electric retracts eliminating the need for an air compressor, it all comes together in a super practical and simple package that is quick and easy to log flights on.

If I had to have a complaint it would be that I am not massively smitten with the colour scheme. Its all a bit dark for me, and in our less than vibrant Uk skies, the silver and black tips did present a bit of an issue to orientate at times.

I am hoping that Marc or Rich may have some footage of the first flights which they can post on here. If not, my new video camera arrives this week, so all being well I hope to get out next weekend and log some more flights on the Bu32

Thanks once again to Marc for his sterling effort on my habu and the conversion package. I hope to have a final pricing for the package and more info and photos on what exactly it comes with in the near future, as well as setting up my website to take pre orders for them, alongside the pre order section that is already in place for the Habu 32 and Edf accessories.
I also have a plan that for any customers buying a Habu 32 and P-20 package from me I will supply a complete conversion package free of charge...

Regards Al

P.S Someone asked in another thread if the Bu 32 would fly with a 2 KG Lambert? I see no reason why not. If anything its slightly overpowered with the P-20 so a lambert would be great, and lighter to boot.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:55 AM
Ali

Default RE: Habu 32 with P-20 Conversion first flights :)

Marc and I, super happy after flight number 1. Excuse the tense expression. It was o cold that my fingers were starting to burn!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32296.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	1541706   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk28033.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	1541707  
Old 01-03-2011, 12:00 PM
Ali

Some shots of the install

Name:	Us54119.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	1541708   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64329.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	1541709   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28509.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	1541710   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93060.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	1541711   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99619.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	1541712  
Old 01-03-2011, 12:06 PM
Ali

Some general airframe shots

Name:	Jh15040.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	1541717   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41022.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	1541718   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86808.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	1541719  
Old 01-03-2011, 12:10 PM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome. That tank makes it a very clean install.

I think you need a bigger Rx though
Old 01-03-2011, 12:11 PM
Ali

Last ones, showing a original EDF Bu for size comparison

Name:	Us54856.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	1541720   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82405.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	1541721   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78748.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	1541722  
Old 01-03-2011, 12:18 PM
Ali

Thanks Darren.
As soon as I decided to make the conversion, it made sense not to have plastic Dubro just slapped in there. Marc has made a few custom tanks in his time, and did a great job. The built in hopper tank is what really tidies it up.
I wanted to use a big RX, just to prove that there was enough space with this set up.
I bet you are looking forward to your P-20 now? I know the Bu is only the second P-20 jet that I have flown, but I can fully recommend it. The only improvement that I can see making on it ( Apart from colours ) would be the fitment of trailing links... not sure how easy thats going to be on the mains, but might just start on the nose first of all, although from asphalt the wire legs were perfect.
Regards Al
Old 01-03-2011, 12:20 PM
Duncan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats to you and Mark mate, job well done by the looks of it. How long until the conversion kits are in production? I'd like one of these!!!
Old 01-03-2011, 12:21 PM
Geoff White

Ali,

Would be interested in more info on how Marc's intergrated hopper tank works as this is something new that I have never heard of before.

Geoff.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:24 PM
Didier

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

AWESOME ALI!!!!!
Old 01-03-2011, 12:25 PM
LewisE1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Can't wait to see the video, I was tempted by the edf one but this is also very interesting, I think the Habu32 design is really sleek and jet like, not keen on some of the other smaller jets that are available at the moment, but this is nice,
Old 01-03-2011, 12:32 PM
NightSwan

Nice one Ali!

Now you got me thinking....

Hans
Ali

Hi Geoff.
It is basically a moulded tank within a tank. The hopper is moulded into the top of the main tank. I am sure Marc will explain it better than I can.
Lewis. I mant to say as well. that we are hoping to make it so the conversion will be able to retro fit to the EDF kit even once it has been flown as an EDF, and even convert back from turbine to edf if wanted..
Dunc. Cheers. Conversion kits with unmade tanks ( You have to assemble them yourself) are ready now. I am just trying to negotiate with Mr Scully on a production run which will come with tanks already assembled. WHich I would guess will be with us still before Habu 32 kits arrive.
Regards Al
siclick33

The only other thing this needs is a new canopy! Seeing the 2 versions side-by-side makes the new version's cockpit quite 'toy-like'.

Any chance of getting Marc to make a sleek canopy moulding like on the foam version?
Old 01-03-2011, 12:33 PM
Jet Blaster
Banned

Very Nice Ali!Would yoube willing to sell these like your 'Bu' setup, less receiver? I bet alot ofus jet guyswould be interested andsold in such a way. Wonder what we would be looking at? ($3500 +or-?) Great job Ali......... (after I just posted this, I see you already answered my first question. Lol.)
Old 01-03-2011, 12:37 PM
Ali

We build turnkey models for customers, and am sure a Bu32 would be doable. Nice and easy to ship as well.
The only issue would be that you would have to ship me the turbine. Jet Cat USA have exclusive of Jet cat sales, and Bob has been really good to me, and the last thing I would want to do is upset him by selling a turbine direct to the U.S. Other than that, it should be no issue.
Regards Al
P.S We even offer the service where we set up and test fly for customers so when they get their new toy its fully set up and ready to rock on either JR, Spektrum or Futaba radios.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:38 PM
gonzalom
My Feedback: (1)

Love it!!!! I just order one of thoese..... now I am very temp for P-20!

Thank you Ali for such fantastic report!

Gonzalo
Northern California
Old 01-03-2011, 12:41 PM
Ali

Darren.
The canopy is not as bad in real life. I dont think Marc choice of retro Acro wot pilot has helped I dont think we will offer a canopy remoulding.
Hans.
You know it makes more sense than that ME262 idea.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:42 PM
Ali

Do it Gonzalo. I would have thought a man like you would have two P-20's already. It will also save me bringing mine to Cali jets
Old 01-03-2011, 12:49 PM
Alex48

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I dont think Marc choice of retro Acro wot pilot has helped
lol........

Well done Marc & Ali looks tempting especially with Al's offer. Would you ever be tempted to hand launch it Al? Not that there's actually anyone I'd trust with that job down my local patch but thought I'd ask. Look forward to see how people get on with it.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:52 PM
GrayUK

Nice job Ali.

Paul
Old 01-03-2011, 01:31 PM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Marc,
When will your bu32 conversion set be available for sale?

I counted the following parts:
Fuel tank
Turbine mount
Tailpipe mount
Did i miss anything?
Old 01-03-2011, 01:40 PM
Ali

Cheers Alex
Not sure that a hand launch would be the right way to go. Getting a model of this size up to a speed where the wing starts working would need a good hard chuck, and although I am sure it can be done, I just dont think its worth risking everytime. I cant see it having an issue getting of from a grass strip, and you could always belly land it if the strip is that bad.
Bob. We hope to have conversion kits with pre assembled tanks in about two- three weeks.
The parts are
Custom made tail pipe
Spun Aluminium bell mouth
Tailpipe rear former mount
Composite turbine mounts
Composite fuel tank with built in hopper and fittings
Regards Al
Old 01-03-2011, 01:42 PM
jason
My Feedback: (1)

At last a model worthy of one of these tiny turbines. But what is going on with that canopy? It ruins a nice plane.

Jason
Old 01-03-2011, 02:04 PM
Duncan

Is yours coming in the first batch Jase? I'm so tempted, looking forward to seeing the video.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.