Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Turbo Props

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Turbo Props

Old 03-19-2011, 09:49 AM
Colin Gontier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Turbo Props

Thanks Beave,

Now have 12 oz of lead up front and c of g is perfect. Another 7 flights today and a permanent grin from me

What prop are you running on yours? I'm on a 25 x 12, but got a 24 x 12 on order as the feeling is it might give it some more go for the big manoeuvres

Old 03-19-2011, 11:05 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 495 Likes on 371 Posts

Colin's Tucano, another 7 trouble free flights today on his SPT-5.

Dw
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	fd91157.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	1580969   Click image for larger version

Name:	lj21909.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	421.7 KB
ID:	1580970   Click image for larger version

Name:	fc90087.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	440.6 KB
ID:	1580971   Click image for larger version

Name:	da83236.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	454.3 KB
ID:	1580972  
Old 03-19-2011, 12:50 PM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

Colin,

I'm using the Beila 24 x 12. We tried a 25 x 10 on my Mate's Tucano and it still lacked the performance of mine (we both have the kero start Jet Central TPs). In my opinion, the 24 x 12 is the way to go. With the 24 x 12, you will have a different bird. If you like it now...you will really love it after you make the swap.

Congrats on your good looking machine!

Beave

ORIGINAL: gontflyer

Thanks Beave,

Now have 12 oz of lead up front and c of g is perfect. Another 7 flights today and a permanent grin from me

What prop are you running on yours? I'm on a 25 x 12, but got a 24 x 12 on order as the feeling is it might give it some more go for the big manoeuvres

Old 03-20-2011, 04:36 PM
pilott28

Well, the weather was not good today so no flying, but I did pick up the Tucano from Steve Burnett who did the JetCat install and had an opportunity to run the engine a couple of times. All went well. It was getting dark when I took the picture, but you can see how the engine went in.

My thanks to Steve. I consider myself to be a decent builder, but when ultra precision is called for, no one is better than Steve. He is a true CNC whisperer!

Name:	Jh17100.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	1581739  
Old 03-20-2011, 05:07 PM
bevar

NO SMOKE!?!?!?!?!? The horror...the horror. Remember...being that you are so...uh...old...no wait...I mean "experienced"...yeah...that's it...anyway...having the smoke on in flight will allow you to keep up with the Tucano...ahem.

Super clean install too...looks sweet!

Beave

ORIGINAL: pilott28

Well, the weather was not good today so no flying, but I did pick up the Tucano from Steve Burnett who did the JetCat install and had an opportunity to run the engine a couple of times. All went well. It was getting dark when I took the picture, but you can see how the engine went in.

My thanks to Steve. I consider myself to be a decent builder, but when ultra precision is called for, no one is better than Steve. He is a true CNC whisperer!

Old 03-20-2011, 10:45 PM
Aussie Bart

Hey Beave
I know you recommend 12 oz up front, but where abouts up front? not sure how far forward I need to put the lead? what is the new CG measurement??
Old 03-20-2011, 11:13 PM
Ali
My Feedback: (5)

On all of the Jet Cat Tp set up's that I have run.. I found an Engle 24x14 three blade pulled the best. LEast prop noise, but noticeable performance difference. , well. For a three blade anyway..... give me a two blade Menz S prop any day of the week, for sheer performance...... yes I do know you wont have the ground clearance of the Tucano to put a two blade prop
Regards Al
Old 03-21-2011, 12:23 AM
Colin Gontier

Aussie Bart - I put the lead in the lower cowling just behind the spinner, so basically as forward as possible. Not sure where the C of G is now but I started off with the book recommendation and it now feels perfect with the 12oz in the cowl.

The 'ole LHS had a Biela 24 x 12 in stock so I used that for Sundays flying and it does make a considerable difference. Really sweet flying now and just the right sound [8D][8D].

Ali - Im sure the 24 x 14 would give it spectacular pull but Im worried about it loading up too much. I'm having so much fun with her I don't want anything to happen that puts her out of action! The SPT5 has been faultless up to now.

Now the question is to smoke or not to smoke? Beave, yours looks lovely with the smoke billowing out, I just hate cleaning messy planes at the end of the day. Doesn't it get really oily down the fus?
Old 03-21-2011, 12:35 AM
Ali

Colin. .It's hard to measure the "loading", but I am sure the Engle ( with its thinner, lighter and dare I say it.. more efficient blade shape ) felt like it was less loaded than the other props I tried. However.. if you are happy with what you have then stick with it. I know that on my PC21, prop selection made a considerable difference.
As long as you have the latest "larger/stronger" geared TP from Cat, I cant see it being put out of action buy a prop change. The one fitted to my PC has done 25 flights, and this is working allot harder than yours will ever do in the Tucano ( The PC is a tank in comparison), without an issue so far.
Regards Al
Old 03-21-2011, 05:26 AM
bevar

Bart,

I initially started placing it on the motor dome, and then when proper C of G achieved, relocated it out of sight plus exchanged some for larger ECU battery and moved it to the firewall.

Beave

ORIGINAL: Aussie Bart

Hey Beave
I know you recommend 12 oz up front, but where abouts up front? not sure how far forward I need to put the lead? what is the new CG measurement??

Name:	Zx71877.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	1581958  
Old 03-21-2011, 05:31 AM
bevar

Exactly. You lose about 15 to maybe 20% efficiency switching from a 2 blade to a 3 blade on the same application but the noise footprint is considerably lower. Also, as Ali stated, you gain ground clearance which is needed on the Tucano. I use the Beila 24 x 12 because that is what is easily available, and it performs well.

Beave

ORIGINAL: Ali

On all of the Jet Cat Tp set up's that I have run.. I found an Engle 24x14 three blade pulled the best. LEast prop noise, but noticeable performance difference. , well. For a three blade anyway..... give me a two blade Menz S prop any day of the week, for sheer performance...... yes I do know you wont have the ground clearance of the Tucano to put a two blade prop
Regards Al
Old 03-21-2011, 05:47 AM
Gonzalo38

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

24 x 12 is the way to go. I did try the 25 x 12 in the beginning and the loss of power was noticeable.

I didn't know about the Engle....... but maybe it would be a good idea to try it if I can get just a touch more of performance.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:29 AM
747drvr

I have a Wren 44 TP in a Comp Arf Extra 2x2 . Kicks serious butt ! I had a data logger on board and recorded 130 mph top speed and 6000 fpm climb !

I've had my fun and am considering selling it if anyone is interested ... Building a full size flying machine now.

Marc

Name:	Db84731.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	1582051   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql32798.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	187.9 KB
ID:	1582052   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp32923.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	1582053  
Old 03-21-2011, 01:01 PM
craigdyer

Hi 747Drvr,

I am interested to know what size prop is on the wren tp and also an idea of static thrust.

BRG, Craig.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:12 PM
wxman2
My Feedback: (52)

ORIGINAL: Dave Wilshere

TP reliability is much better now, Mark's engine was an early one. The V3 JetCat is really good, I will be test flying one in a CARF Tucano this week. Most of the problems were with turbine air intake, you need to separate the hot exhaust to the engine intake, CARF were the first to do this with the Tucano motor box. I've modified my AirTrade Raven to allow cold air to travel over exhaust area. A simple baffle is all that is needed.

Dave

Dave,

How do you like your Turbo Raven from Airtrade? I am still trying to get all the parts from Airtrade to finish my copy of your Turbo Raven version (it is a slightly different paint scheme). Would you be willing to take a picture of "simple baffle" you installed. If you would be willing to share other photos of your setup, that would be great.

Regards,
John