Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

First time Jet?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

First time Jet?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 07:29 PM
johnvan29

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time Jet?

Hey guys, I am John and an new on the forums. I have been flying planes for around 6 years now and have worked my way up from a Hobbico Nexstar to EDFs and 3D models, pretty much all of them. The one thing that I have not flown and have been very interested in are Turbine jets. In my opinion, I think I am ready and my father has wanted me to get involved with them very much so lately (he is a real pilot himself). What is a good way to get started in this more advanced sector of rc airplanes? I do not have much knowledge on jets specificially, I mean i understand how a turbine works and how to start them and such, but is there a step by step process I need to follow to start flying my own turbine jet? Also, what is a good starter jet as far as they go? and are there such things as Turbine ARFs? Dont hate if I am completely wrong lol... Thanks a million!
Old 04-19-2011, 08:49 PM
gtoro26
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: First time Jet?

many have taken my advice when starting out
generally speaking if you want a more advanced trainer that will handle a wide range of engines thrust
i believe you will have the least amount if any problems with the boomerang elan
and i have mine powered with jet central rabbit
it is awesome and i have had the opportunity toget rid of it for a great price but i just cant let it go
i have flown this jet for 2 years now and have had two of them
my engine is 19 lbs have flown it all the way up to 30 lb jet cat 120
in my opinion the 20 pound range is more than enough
and i fly for ten minutes and land with more than a quarter tank very efficient the rabbit
very simple set up and everythinkg is easy to get to
patricia at boomerang is awesome
this trainer has all sport characteristics that you will need to enter into scale and or continue with sport
best thing to do is get the engine new or from a known owner it is easier for you when dealing with issues
and everyone will have an issue or too
also if you need more advice or talk let me know
there is a couple videos of my navy scheme elan flying on you tube at florida jets 2011 if you search it
yeap they knife edge awesome i did a few 900 foot knife edges that i was very impressed with
well good luck and let us know how you fare
Old 04-19-2011, 09:27 PM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

John, imo...go hang out with some Texas jet dudes...I know there are a lot of them. Find out what radio/turbine they are flying and why. Seek their help, they will be generous. Your life will be infinitely easier and fun with some bros to share the times with....not to mention your first endeavor will be much more fun and successful...
Old 04-19-2011, 09:48 PM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My first jet, an awsome performer in a compact envelope.I guess we can call it ARF too. :-D http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10469366/tm.htm
Old 04-20-2011, 06:47 AM
johnvan29

Thanks guys, however, I usually fly alone at deserted fields and rarely trip out to Scobee field... I am not too familiar with the jet guys around here so getting to know them might be a problem if I cant even find them. Also, I have been seeing a lot about this HABU 32 being converted to turbine and being a great plane. I have already flown a HABU and loved it, would this be a good starting jet?
Old 04-20-2011, 07:12 AM
shepp

John,
In my opinion, you are asking for trouble. No disrespect at all, just cautious, and concerned for your safety. Don't fly alone. I believe this goes for any model, but expecially high performance models and Turbine powered ones. Too many things to consider and go wrong to be out there by yourself. Get a friend or your Dad to go with you. Locate your closest flying field and get to know them. 99 % of modelers will be more than happy to assist.
Just my opinion

Shepp
Old 04-20-2011, 07:39 AM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: johnvan29

Thanks guys, however, I usually fly alone at deserted fields and rarely trip out to Scobee field... I am not too familiar with the jet guys around here so getting to know them might be a problem if I cant even find them. Also, I have been seeing a lot about this HABU 32 being converted to turbine and being a great plane. I have already flown a HABU and loved it, would this be a good starting jet?
The problem with flying alone at some outlying field, is that you will never qualify for an AMA Tutbine Waiver by going at it alone. Besides that, the learning curve will be very steep.
Read the AMA PDF document 510A for the safety regulations for turbine powered aircraft.
Don't be afraid of talking to turbine flyers...we are always ready to help a newbie....that's what it is all about.
Safety is the primary issue with the FAA breathing down our necks.

Hit the local field and talk to the turbine guys...get their recommendations and ask lots of questions.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:44 AM
johnvan29

Oh yeah I when I go fly it is always with buddies and my father usually, sorry didnt actually mean ALONE... But I will do that, because I would only fly a turbine at the field... No risking it without a runway.  Thanks again guys!
Old 04-20-2011, 08:22 AM
Wap4life
My Feedback: (3)

Hey Johnvan,

I'm new to jets, so new i'm still putting my first one together.  I fly at scoobee and there are usually a few jet guys that fly on saturday and sunday.  I'm there to watching and learning.

I myself will not fly my boomerang until a few people think i'm ready hopefully at the end of the summer.  I have my second jet on it's way.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:13 PM
johnvan29

Awesome thanks Wap4Life.  I will be going out there this weekend and fly then, hope I see you.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:30 PM
FILE IFR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John,

Here are the rules good AMA waiverholders follow... http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/510-a.pdf

**Edited for spelling** [&:]
Old 04-20-2011, 07:52 PM
johnvan29

Also, can I pretty much use my DX8 for all jets? Or do I need a radio with more channels?
Old 04-20-2011, 08:14 PM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Also, can I pretty much use my DX8 for all jets? Or do I need a radio with more channels?
Depends on how complex the jet is.

There is a jet rally in Austin the weekend of May 21. Come on over and talk to some jet pilots and see what is out there.
www.austinrc.org for flyer and directions

The main drawback of the Habu 32 with a turbine is that it limits what kind of jets you will want in the future. Get a turbine in the 18 - 30 pound class, then you will have a big choice of jets in the future.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:27 AM
johnvan29

Oh that makes sense.  Do most multi-jet users transfer their turbines from one aircraft to another?
Old 04-21-2011, 04:08 AM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: bcovish

The main drawback of the Habu 32 with a turbine is that it limits what kind of jets you will want in the future. Get a turbine in the 18 - 30 pound class, then you will have a big choice of jets in the future.
I would say just the opposite. If chooseing one of the nano turbines you have every 90mm EDF model in the world that suits you like a glove. The smaller Kolibri(still with 2.5kg/5.5lb thrust) will even fit some of the 70mm EDF planes. The smaller size would widen the range of RC-airfields you can use, also you can fit firends/family in the car along with the smaller jet and provide more airtime then the larger 15+lb turbines will do.

ofcause larger is always cooler but the new smaller envelope is very handy and they are still real jet models!
Old 04-21-2011, 03:12 PM
FILE IFR

Do most multi-jet users transfer their turbines from one aircraft to another?
I know of only 2 jet owners that swap their engine from one plane to another (I think it would be a royal PITA)... the easy feature to this swapping method is, it is ONLY the engine they swap over (I'm all about JetCats, so I know this can be done with them), JetCat offers an 'Install kit' that is permanently installed in each plane... ECU, pump, battery, gas & fuel lines, solenoids... etc. This will allow you to swap over just the engine to another plane, leaving the rest of the components in place.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:23 PM
johnvan29

Hmm I see that is very helpful. So as far as first jet goes... Anyone have any ideas? Like what brand and model can provide plenty of fun and speed as well as not being insanely expensive (in comparison to the creme de la creme of jets, I am aware this sport is hard on the wallet regardless).
Old 04-21-2011, 05:35 PM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Do you have any idea what your budget is for turbine and plane. That would be most helpful to determine what is out there in that price range.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:25 PM
gooseF22

Its capable, but you will probably need matchbox's, or some aftermarket things that allow for double rudders/elevators/steering. I find that 10-12 is the magic number needed most times, but yes its possible. I could set my Nano up on 8 channel with a matchbox and no smoke.

Its very important to tag in with a group of jet guys, or you wont survive the first year or two.. Its a steep learning curve on your own. follow WAP's advice and join up and learn together.

I endorse the Elan/Nano/Boomer series as a starter. I miss my elan. Its one of those planes you can fly forever.. I was stupid to sell it....however I moved up to the Kingcat..and lovin it..just more costly.

I think a great low cost entry is the Nano with a 14lb motor in it. Its a rocket ,but still flies like a nano..very gentle... thats what Im flying now as my everyday beater..

The learning curve is mostly around operating the motors.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:34 PM
johnvan29

As far as complete, since I would need a new radio, I am looking in the 7-8k range if that is doable. So that would have to be EVERYTHING. If not doable in that range I could bump to 10-11.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:41 PM
gooseF22

Elan is attainable in that range. Motors run 2K up to 4K depending on what size/brand.. you know the price of radio gear.. need good servos, hd wiring, and the next largest cost is the airframe itself, then the landing gear.

For instance and elan is 1400 to your door, the gear is about 900, tank 100 for kevlar, or make from pop bottle, then 99cents, 11 Servos, and a wad of extensions. Smoke optional. Batteries/switches...etc.. around 6-7K if you shop smart.

Not counting radio/rx.. lots of choices there.

There is an Elan up on RCU right now in Florida by the way for sale.. its a cool looking one, custom paint
Old 04-22-2011, 04:02 AM
Wap4life
My Feedback: (3)

Hey Johnvan29,

As far as radio (i am no expert)  i was told that buy the best radio you can afford (most channels) and you will not have to worry about running out.  I personally orderd the 14mz becuase i want to buy one radio for all planes and never buy another one.

I will be purchasing my first turbine in a few days probably a referb one.  Once i get it your welcome to come by and help me figure it all out.  I'm sure i will have one of the jet guys over too.  I'm hooking up the retracts now, can't do a lot more b/c the 14mz is backorder to the hopefully next week.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:01 AM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

for a first plane, i would say go with a BVM Bobcat Composite .. it is as easy to take off and land as it gets and not bad tendencies .. it will let you grow with it and push it when you are ready also (unlike the boomerangs , etc .. ) look up some videos of this plane .. fast, slow, gentle, hard .. it will do anything ... only thing is its not completely axial in precision aerobatics because of the engine being mounted at an angle .. If you prefer scale, a number of the F-15 ARFs on the market would be great, or even better, something like a Viperjet ARF

http://www.bvmjets.com/Pages/kits/bo...0Composite.htm

http://www.skymasterjet.com/xviperjet.htm

it lands easy, and it has great ground handling as well
http://www.youtube.com/user/wiwanczyk#p/u/1/8WYIqMIRwAQ

~V~
Old 04-22-2011, 06:21 AM
Kelly Rohrbach
My Feedback: (1)

What ever you go with GET HELP from the local guys, never known a Texan not willing to lend a hand.
Someone that has been doing it for years will find stuff that has not even run across you mind yet, little things are what will bit you.
Jets are the best segment of our hobby IMO.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:36 AM
eskiserkan

I have the same question on my mind and want to hear your suggestion about my first turbine flight.

Since I am located in Turkey and there is a limited amount of turbine model pilots (though no one in my city), I have to execute first flight of my FB F-15 (with P-80) myself with the help of my dad

I believe that I have enough experience with RC flying. I fly hard 3D with helicopters since 5 years and have experience with many different types of giant size scale ARFs like Zero, B-25, P-51, P-47 etc. I know very well equipments installation, servo-control surface setups, air retracts etc.

One and half year ago I bought a brand new F-15 ARF to have a turbine airplane in my fleet. I put a P-80SE (with kero start) in it and performed running tests of the turbine without any problem. I also have EV5U electronic retract control unit and I setup the thing with conventional flying surfaces with ailerons, elevators, flaps and rudders (i mean no tailerons). Now, everything seems ready for me to get the thing in the air.

I am aware of turbine lag from idle to full throttle, flying speed of the model (especially on landings) but don't have any idea about what to face with after the thing leaves the ground. And as I said, we don't have any experienced flyers around this side of the world with turbines, I need to hear suggestions (positive sided ones preferable) before flying it.

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.