Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Amount of elevon reflex in a Roo or Rookie???

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Amount of elevon reflex in a Roo or Rookie???

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 07:09 PM
Kevin Greene
My Feedback: (85)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Amount of elevon reflex in a Roo or Rookie???

I purchased a Rookie----All of the throws are listed in the instruction manual except for the amount of up reflex needed in the elevons when neutral. I want to know how much reflex you guys are using and if you know, the CG of your model. The Rookie and Roo should use about the same amount of reflex respectively.

TIA!!!!

Kevin
Old 08-14-2003, 07:22 PM
Adil Nasim
My Feedback: (61)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roo

Hi Kevin,

I remember (from back Roo days) that I had reflex set up about 1/8". The C.G. was set up about 2" forward of where the plans showed and the back of the engine was shimmed with 4 washers. Hope this helps.

Thanks - Adil
Old 08-14-2003, 07:23 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Kevin,

I have 'Roo balanced as per the FC instructions (100mm forward of the wing tube, I think) and I originally set mine up with zero reflex. On the first flight, it took 2 clicks of up trim to get it level at about 1/2 throttle. I'm not sure I'd call two clicks of trim "reflex" so I'd say none is required. Now if you move the balance point forward to enable recovery from intentional "chicken flops" as some guys have done, then more up trim would be required. Me, I like the way it flys, especially during takeoff (easy rotation on grass) and landing and I leave the flips to my Extra, so I stuck with the CG from the instructions.

Bob

ps. I too have some washers as Adil mentioned. I started with 4 and am now down to two. It didn't seem to change the trim.
Old 08-14-2003, 07:26 PM
Bill_Jehle
My Feedback: (1)

Kevin,

On both of my Roos I used a 1/16 inch shim on the rear of the engine, and the reflex was about 1/8 inch.
Old 08-14-2003, 08:12 PM
Kevin Greene
My Feedback: (85)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys!!!

The Rookie has it's engine mounted on the thrust line where as the Roo's engine is above the thrust line. No washers are needed to adjust the up or down thrust of the engine on the Rookie. I guess that the two models would be different as far as reflex goes, if the Rookie needs any at all. I'm just familiar with the HotSpots and the need for around 3/16" up reflex in the elevons. As a matter of fact the Mirages that I've owned needed up reflex too. I just assumed that the Rookie would be no different than these two models. Let's hear from some Rookie owners.

Kevin
Old 08-15-2003, 06:30 AM
Stig Andersen

Hello.

If you place the CG a stated in the manual, you do not need any reflex. (Maybe one or two click af up-trim) If you move it forward, you will need reflex on the elevons. Just like the Roo's.

This one (Graupner Harpoon) was seen in Holstebro/Denmark.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	101855_29424.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	57623