Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

My first Jet

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

My first Jet

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 12:32 PM
Roberto Denadai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first Jet

Hi guys,

I´m looking for my first jet. I would like a midlle size one.

What is the best jet for a beginner ?

I really like the Bae Hawk, Isaw that skymater / x-treme jets and Fly Eagle has this model available but I don´t know what is the best brand in the market

Well I have a lot of question and I will read a lot of threads here to learn more about this new world

Best Regards
Old 11-02-2011, 12:42 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts
Default RE: My first Jet

Welcome, Like you I am new to turbines myself and I just finished my 1st and flew it a couple of weeks ago. Your going to get lots of crazy replies on this topic and I will just give my opinion. Pick something you will be happy with, if you like scale get a scale, if you like sport then get a sport. Lots of people will say to get a trainer jet first then a nicer jet. There is truth to that based on your flying experience and building knowledge. Turbines as you know can be hard on the wallet so buying a training then something else like a scale jet can cost you. So pick based on what you can handle is my advice. I went with a 1/6 scale F-16 for my first but I did lots of research as well, and the net has plenty to read for picking. If you go scale just research what you want, some jets are much harder to land than others, a BAE Hawk is not bad at landing and is a good jet, very popular so which ever brand you choose you can find help. As far as who to buy from, well that is the most crazy topic in this area of the hobby so again do some research and buy based on your building experience. Every jet company out there has pros and cons, so pick one over the other because they had a bad experience, and remember you really only hear about the bad ones, not the hundred more who had success.
I looked at both myself when I decided on a jet but I picked Fly Eagle, my personal experience with the company is positive. So pick based on your budget and experience and most important what will be the most fun outcome for you personally not what everyone else thinks.
Good luck!
Old 11-02-2011, 01:49 PM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My friend first jet was a FEJ F-14, we still looking for it, I told him not to swing back the wings[&o]
Old 11-02-2011, 01:58 PM
FenderBean

what happened when he swung the wings?
Old 11-02-2011, 02:21 PM
Ramz

My first jet was the Modellbau Tornado with a Jet Cat P70. It is a very stable and easy plane to fly. The nice thing about the Tornado is that it will land very very slow without any bad tendencies and it works great off of a short grass strip. It is cheap to buy and a very simple design. On the downside it isn't the prettiest airplane and it will take a little while longer to put together than your typical ARF. It also takes a fair bit of time assemble the airframe at the field...ideally you can leave it put together in your vehicle or trailer. If i had it to do all over again, I wouldn't hesitate to get a tornado.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:52 PM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: FenderBean

I bet it fell down and go boom.Tore up from the floor up !!!!..... Either that or it landed itself and is now hanging in the Smithsonian...

Danno
Old 11-02-2011, 03:37 PM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Ramz

My first jet was the Modellbau Tornado ................. and it will take a little while longer to put together than your typical ARF.

i have to disagree, Yes maybe if you're comparing it to a rubber band on wing glow trainer, but as far as jets go the Tornado is about as quick a build as it gets. when i finely got the motivation to build mine it only took a few evenings to knock it out.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:53 PM
FenderBean

Well I figured it fall down and go boom, I just wanted to know if it was a control issue or a wing issue is all.
ORIGINAL: rcjetsaok

I bet it fell down and go boom.Tore up from the floor up !!!!..... Either that or it landed itself and is now hanging in the Smithsonian...

Danno
Old 11-02-2011, 04:09 PM
sieze2

I simply started this year with a Boomerang Nano. It was a second hand buy, and saved loads of money. My advice to you it to buy your first jet secondhand. The most important question you should ask about any airframe is how easy is it to land? They are all annoying to land at first due to residual thrust, and throttle lag, but you get used to it! Also some will need longer runways than others, so I guess it depends on your club?
Old 11-02-2011, 06:12 PM
Roberto Denadai

Welcome, Like you I am new to turbines myself and I just finished my 1st and flew it a couple of weeks ago. Your going to get lots of crazy replies on this topic and I will just give my opinion. Pick something you will be happy with, if you like scale get a scale, if you like sport then get a sport. Lots of people will say to get a trainer jet first then a nicer jet. There is truth to that based on your flying experience and building knowledge. Turbines as you know can be hard on the wallet so buying a training then something else like a scale jet can cost you. So pick based on what you can handle is my advice. I went with a 1/6 scale F-16 for my first but I did lots of research as well, and the net has plenty to read for picking. If you go scale just research what you want, some jets are much harder to land than others, a BAE Hawk is not bad at landing and is a good jet, very popular so which ever brand you choose you can find help. As far as who to buy from, well that is the most crazy topic in this area of the hobby so again do some research and buy based on your building experience. Every jet company out there has pros and cons, so pick one over the other because they had a bad experience, and remember you really only hear about the bad ones, not the hundred more who had success.
I looked at both myself when I decided on a jet but I picked Fly Eagle, my personal experience with the company is positive. So pick based on your budget and experience and most important what will be the most fun outcome for you personally not what everyone else thinks.
Good luck!
Thank you Fender.

You are right in many things.

But as Isaid, like a beginner I don´t know what jet is hard to landing or fly, so I need some advice.

The Fly Eagle F-16 1/6 is awesome, what color did you get ?

Budget is not a problem at first, Ijust want to pick a good jet to start and have fun

Best Regards

Old 11-02-2011, 06:16 PM
Roberto Denadai

ORIGINAL: Ramz

My first jet was the Modellbau Tornado with a Jet Cat P70. It is a very stable and easy plane to fly. The nice thing about the Tornado is that it will land very very slow without any bad tendencies and it works great off of a short grass strip. It is cheap to buy and a very simple design. On the downside it isn't the prettiest airplane and it will take a little while longer to put together than your typical ARF. It also takes a fair bit of time assemble the airframe at the field...ideally you can leave it put together in your vehicle or trailer. If i had it to do all over again, I wouldn't hesitate to get a tornado.

Hi Ramz,

Ihave heard good things about this jet. I saw a lot of guys using the K-80F instead of jetcat

I will think about and the price is really good.

Best Regards

Old 11-02-2011, 06:53 PM
Grodus

If I had it to do over again, I would start with a Flash. It is actually easier and flys better than what I used as a trainer. Sounds like you may be looking for a scale bird though.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:57 PM
KC36330

ORIGINAL: Roberto Denadai

Budget is not a problem ............
that's got the big SkyMaster Viper Jet wrote all over it then, it's scale and one of (if not the most) easiest to fly/land out there.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:43 AM
f18 rhino

hi i purchased a fly eagle f16 1/5.5 whata plane it is just so nice i want to go for a plane that was big and flys so well .as for choosing a plane you will know which one thats impresses you
Old 11-03-2011, 03:02 AM
Gonzalo38

Roberto:

The Skymaster Viperjet is a great plane for somebody that is starting with Jets. The plane doesn't only look good but its also a great flyer, with no bad tendencies and its really easy to land. The Hawk is a very nice model but the Viper can be landed at even lower speeds.

Take a look at how slow a Viperjet can land http://www.youtube.com/user/jetsrc#p/u/7/-OgX8bGT0jc

Support is very important and in our region, www.jetsrc.com does a great job of supporting its customers in case of any problem (including Brazil). You never know when you are going to need spare elements for your plane so take that into consideration.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:19 AM
FenderBean

Your welcome, I went with the aggressor scheme. I know a f16 lands nice. The vipers and from what I have seen the bar hawk lands nice. They don't really even need flaps, something like a f18 maybe harder to land since it requires flaps. Something like a euro fighter design are stable landing as well, and don't be scared of large jets.
ORIGINAL: Roberto Denadai

Good luck!
Thank you Fender.

You are right in many things.

But as I said, like a beginner I don´t know what jet is hard to landing or fly, so I need some advice.

The Fly Eagle F-16 1/6 is awesome, what color did you get ?

Budget is not a problem at first, I just want to pick a good jet to start and have fun

Best Regards

Old 11-03-2011, 04:25 AM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If budget is not a problem, then go for a BVM jet. You will never regret it. They are engineered well, BVM provides great support, their jets go together without modifications, their instructions and building manuals are clear and concise, BVM has the highest quality in the hobby, and they can send you the jet within days. Most other companies tell you 4 to 8 weeks, which later becomes 4 to 5 months. BVM can send parts out almost immediately, the other companies will take months and numerous emails to actually get your spare part ordered.

Save yourself a lot of headaches. Go with BVM.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:49 AM
KFX450
My Feedback: (30)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Airplanes400

If budget is not a problem, then go for a BVM jet. You will never regret it. They are engineered well, BVM provides great support, their jets go together without modifications, their instructions and building manuals are clear and concise, BVM has the highest quality in the hobby, and they can send you the jet within days. Most other companies tell you 4 to 8 weeks, which later becomes 4 to 5 months. BVM can send parts out almost immediately, the other companies will take months and numerous emails to actually get your spare part ordered.

Save yourself a lot of headaches. Go with BVM.

Im going +1 on this comment. Im building a bandit right now and theres no guess work. It's actually fun to build something that everything fits. The manual is the best ive seen so far. There are a ton of pages to it but thats because they deatail every step with pictures.

There were some small wood parts that were missing from my kit but Dustin sent them right out and I had them in a couple days. I have had other jets from manufacturers out of the country. You will not find this kind quality and service anywhere else IMO
Old 11-03-2011, 04:58 AM
DrYankum
My Feedback: (11)

Just finished maidening my first jet. Tornado with a K-80. Very steady and reliable flier. Slows down nicely. I think you would be wise to assemble your first jet rather than buy a used one, because the installation will force you to learn about how this machine works. It's more than just putting a fuel tank attached to a carb by fuel line. An assembled jet doesn't give you the hands on experience and the understanding of the process. The Tornado is a bit of a pain to assemble at the field, but fortunately is does fit in my Town and Country and Henry at Modelbeau is very helpful with any of the questions you might have
Old 11-03-2011, 05:36 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi Roberto, great to hear you are starting in this hobby.

There are many good trainer jets options this days, from slow landing straight wing models, and "hot" swept wing ones, both sport and scale. But one thing you should consider is wich is the kind of jet that works in your flying location.

Indeed the tornado is a good plane for a first jet, as well the BVM bobcat wich has a lot better field assembly and engineering.

Um abraço, Enrique
Old 11-03-2011, 07:04 AM
megafly

If budget is not a problem go with BVM, I will look for some build photos in e-voo.

Regards.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:11 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Megafly, that would be great. I´ll check this site too.

Don´t know from what region of Brazil you guys are from, but next week there will be a jet meeting in Fortaleza, Ceara in wich would be a great way to Roberto see what people is using to learn to fly jets and also what can be done with one.. David Shulman is a guest among some many other great pilots too.

http://www.cimmodelismo.com.br/fortaljet2011/

Enrique
Old 11-03-2011, 07:38 AM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

BVM jets..............................jet the same price as everyone else.....................HUGE markup for the sticker that says BVM
Old 11-03-2011, 07:49 AM
KC36330

ORIGINAL: Desertlakesflying

BVM jets..............................jet the same price as everyone else.....................HUGE markup for the sticker that says BVM

a prime example of someone who's never owned a BVM product.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:00 AM
megafly

BVM's are top, my cousin has a Bobcat and a Bandit, awsome jets, You just can't compare a Bobcat with a Tornado...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.