Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Which radio?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Which radio?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 08:28 PM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Which radio?

ORIGINAL: skydve76

On two jets yes. Hoever they flew dozens of times on dx8 no issues, dozens of time on dx6i no issues. Then suddenly issues.

My habu 32 uses a LIFE pack and still lost connection. We can argue about brownouts but this is not the issue. I can tell because the following happens during lockout:

Jet continues dong what it is doing for a second or 2 but wont repsond. Suddenly goes into failsafe, which for me is 0 throttle and straight surfaces. ESC is still armed and comes back up quickly once link re-established.

A brownout cause it to shut off immediately and requires rearming of the ESC.
Dude,

You got something else going on besides radio issues.... Am I to understand you are using a LiFe battery pack on a Habu 32 ??? How many cells, Mah rating, C-rating ???? Voltage???? Brand ??..... Is this on a DX-8 Tx & 8000 Rx ???

Curious...

Danno
Old 11-06-2011, 08:31 PM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a great deal, I'm afraid. The programming software in the 8fg is nearly identical to the 12fg. The 12fg gives up very little to the 12Z. The main difference is in the hardware. The fg's have conventional stick gimbals with limited adjustability. The fg's both use "can" batteries. The 8fg doesn't have as many switches. The 12Z uses 4-ballbearing gimbals and lithium-ion battery. The 12Z's programming is somewhat different than the 12fg, but the number of features and functions is nearly the same. With the latest software, the 8fg can hold it's own with the 12fg pretty well. Bang for the buck, the 8fg is the best deal out there, bar none. I'm about to get one myself, as a backup/buddybox. TX-only can be had for $319.99 on feebay. Hope this helps.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:32 PM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Agreed, the futaba world sounds all mucked up. A radio called 8fg is 14 channel, a radio called 10cg is 12 channel? What is the 12z? I dunno, ***.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:33 PM
rcguy59

The 12Z is 14 channel as of a few updates ago.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:34 PM
essyou35

its a 2s life pack. Always charged. Like I said its like 1 in 50 flights but 2 times this week, one causing a loss. We could argue brownouts but Idont think so.

At the other field with the habu, people say JR and spektrum take hits, someone else with a dx8 lost a plane that day too due to lockout. They said it has something to do with an internet service they have out there.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:37 PM
essyou35

In terms of reliablity, any of thse is better than spektrum right?  It sounds like 8fg is a good deal for $.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:42 PM
rcguy59

The 8fg is the BEST deal for the $. As far as best BRAND, I won't go there other than to say that I personally have never had an issue with Futaba 2.4 and neither has anyone else at our field. Your mileage may vary.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:43 PM
DavidR
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm using a DX8 on my Electra with somewhere around 50 flights on it since switching it from my 12X. I did this just for the telemetry. Have not had a problem with it or with my 12X. I have used JR/spectrum 2.4 since 2.4 became available. I would guess I have a coue thousand flights with 90% in jets both turbine, and high power EDF. Why did you keep flying the DX8 after you had the FIRST problem with it? I'd of sent it in and had it and the receivers checked out. My bet is you didn't have something setup right.

DR
Old 11-06-2011, 08:48 PM
essyou35

ORIGINAL: DavidR

I'm using a DX8 on my Electra with somewhere around 50 flights on it since switching it from my 12X. I did this just for the telemetry. Have not had a problem with it or with my 12X. I have used JR/spectrum 2.4 since 2.4 became available. I would guess I have a coue thousand flights with 90% in jets both turbine, and high power EDF. Why did you keep flying the DX8 after you had the FIRST problem with it? I'd of sent it in and had it and the receivers checked out. My bet is you didn't have something setup right.

DR
The main reason is because of people like you. Youve had 0 issues. You claim something is wrong so Imove to the next jet expecting I'll research the other one later. But then there is always a chance of a hit.

Idont buy it, I think our fields in Nebraksa are just bad for jr and spektrum.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:52 PM
essyou35

BTW it appears teh techincal term for what I am experiencing is called a "hold".  The dx8 is prone to holds it sound like, esp when in dsm2 mode.

Mine is not on recall list but I highly doubt they will ever get the issues fixed.  I think if I used all dsmx rxs I would be fine.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:57 PM
rcguy59

Do you lube the gimbals with corn oil? Just kidding. Setup also has to do with adequate battery. Without that, no amount of rearranging things will help. Older Spektrum and JR 2.4 systems were especially vulnerable to this. Newer systems less so. Environment plays a part, though I doubt that's the whole problem. Send it in to be checked out. If you're still having problems, Replace it.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:06 PM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

I never had a problem with my 10X conversion, but with only 9 channels available to me in 2.4, I needed an upgrade. I went with the Futaba 12FG when JR did the recall and X thing. No problems, no satellites, and a really strange sense of calm and confidence....
Old 11-06-2011, 09:13 PM
DavidR
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: DavidR

DR
The main reason is because of people like you. Youve had 0 issues. You claim something is wrong so Imove to the next jet expecting I'll research the other one later. But then there is always a chance of a hit.

I dont buy it, I think our fields in Nebraksa are just bad for jr and spektrum.
Did you use the telemetry? What about a data logger? What kind of fades, data did you see? I haven't flown in Nebraska, but I have flown at a lot FO different places around the country. I am meticulous with my setup and especially my choice of batteries, I have not yet change to DSMX but have not felt the need to yet. Several people mention the comfort level they feel with Futaba I have always had that comfort level with JR/Spektrum stuff.

DR
Old 11-06-2011, 09:22 PM
Ruizmilton
My Feedback: (29)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Skydive:

I'll try to go back to your original concern, what you are looking for is good interference protection on the RF link, what this means is that if you have a radio with a low interference protection RF link and fly at a relatively interference free field, you may never have an issue with holds, so to rely on statements like 'I have 1,000's of flights with so and so system and never had an issue' is not a good source of data about a system's reliability because it will depend on the RF environment the system is being used on, my decision to go with Futaba was based on experience from others as well as mine that have flown at a field with heavy RF interference (confirmed by a friend's Weatronics spektrum analyzer) and have never experienced loss of control using Futaba while with Spektrum myself and others had several link issues.

I only made comments about the programming because since you already use a DX8, moving to a Futaba radio will expose you to a different type of programming.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:28 PM
FILE IFR

BTW it appears teh techincal term for what I am experiencing is called a ''hold''. The dx8 is prone to holds it sound like, esp when in dsm2 mode.

Mine is not on recall list but I highly doubt they will ever get the issues fixed. I think if I used all dsmx rxs I would be fine.

Don't beat yourself up with the 'what-if's'. You have your heart set on a Futaba radio, so do it.... just figure out which one you'll need now, and consider it for future jets you may want.

I've been flying Futaba since 1988... No problems ever occured. I've been using the Futaba MZ-HP 2.4 gig for over 3 years now with hundreds of trouble-free (radio wise) flights on electric/nitro helicopters, electric/ nitro/gas prop planes and turbines.... and this is at 4 clubs I belong to and I fly in several states.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:12 PM
essyou35

in a span of a couple hours, dx8 sold, and 8fgs purchased.

In closing, jr not equal to spektrum.

Maybe spektrum is ok, but in my area spektrum has issues. A month ago another guy using rx7 lost his bvm p-80 at same field due to a lockout

Ill try the 8fg and report back. The dx8 is a great radio and I will miss it. But spektrum lost my business over this. Maybe its just my area tough. But it is definatley a reliability issue
Old 11-06-2011, 11:20 PM
rcguy59

I hope it works out for you. Let us know what you think of the programming. That's where a lot of the "love-hate" comes from between Futaba and JR.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:55 PM
karenheli

Yes FUTABA 8FG is a wonderful choice, well there is another choice for you. Please see this link to find what you want www.wfly-usa.com
Old 11-07-2011, 12:03 AM
rcguy59

Chinese humor.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:34 AM
Shaun Evans

ORIGINAL: rcguy59

I hope it works out for you. Let us know what you think of the programming. That's where a lot of the ''love-hate'' comes from between Futaba and JR.

Well,

As my Grandma would say when faced with a statement she emphatically agreed with, "...You ain't NEVA lied!..."

As oddly at-peace I feel with the Futaba system when it's in the air; the programming is LAME compared to JR. You can at least go to the flying field with a new, unfamiliar JR system and have a snowball's chance of figuring it out, but without the 1/2" thick Futaba book, you don't stand a chance. Even then, I keep having to call my go-to guys... [&o]

Old 11-07-2011, 02:43 AM
geneh-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

How about the Hitec Aurora 9? I have been flying it for over a year in everything from Helicopters to Turbines and it has been rock solid. I have about 8 receivers now and it is great so far. I love the programming and updates are on the web and free. That being said, the only other radio that I would consider would be Futaba! I was a diehard JR guy for years but after seeing crashes due to lockout I would not buy one on 2.4!
Old 11-07-2011, 03:47 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

On two jets yes. Hoever they flew dozens of times on dx8 no issues, dozens of time on dx6i no issues. Then suddenly issues.

My habu 32 uses a LIFE pack and still lost connection. We can argue about brownouts but this is not the issue. I can tell because the following happens during lockout:

Jet continues dong what it is doing for a second or 2 but wont repsond. Suddenly goes into failsafe, which for me is 0 throttle and straight surfaces. ESC is still armed and comes back up quickly once link re-established.

A brownout cause it to shut off immediately and requires rearming of the ESC.
did you ever use a flight-log to see what was up? I've been flying spektrum dsm2 for well over 3,000 flights in everything from 450 to 90 size helis, jets, carbon fiber fuse hotliners (without the CF style rx's) and anything in between with a single hiccup. I've also used dx5's, dx7's, dx8's, 9303, 950, 11X transmitters in differing airplanes. Most of the radio "problems" i have noticed that others in my club have been having, is 100% associated with setup and install. One of those guys who always had "issues" was still using 4.8v.

Congrats on the new radio purchase, hopefully it proves well for what you want/need.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:06 AM
bob21

not one word about airtronics??? i have a airtronics sd 10g it is the best radio of all brands !! you pick it up and it really feels like a radio and not a toy like the new futaba 8 that everyone is talking about, and the same with the jr. has all features most will never use , i cant stress enough on just the way it is in your hands. great job airtronics now just the masses have to stop being followers and look into it..they have a great line up of recievers also...BUY AIRTRONICS THERE MADE IN THE USA, for the most part but they are teamed up with sanwa..
Old 11-07-2011, 06:26 AM
essyou35

ORIGINAL: bob21

not one word about airtronics??? i have a airtronics sd 10g it is the best radio of all brands !! you pick it up and it really feels like a radio and not a toy like the new futaba 8 that everyone is talking about, and the same with the jr. has all features most will never use , i cant stress enough on just the way it is in your hands. great job airtronics now just the masses have to stop being followers and look into it..they have a great line up of recievers also...BUY AIRTRONICS THERE MADE IN THE USA, for the most part but they are teamed up with sanwa..
im sorry but airtronics feel like a toy. You get what you par for.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:34 AM
bob21

[quote]ORIGINAL: skydve76

ORIGINAL: bob21

im sorry but airtronics feel like a toy. You get what you par for.
[/quo.... you have not felt the 10 sd then ... and they have no problems one early recall and thats it..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.