Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Which radio?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Which radio?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 12:59 PM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
Default RE: Which radio?

ORIGINAL: skydve76

I've been reading up on SBUS, I think it is a joke. YOu have to buy a $70 hub for every 2 servos essentially.

OUCH

Only if you are using NON S-Bus servos
Old 11-08-2011, 01:06 PM
Roberto Denadai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys,

I need to buy a radio for my first jet

I ´m thinking in the Aurora 9 or JR 11

The price of Aurora 9 is really good. I think 9 channels is enough right ?

Best Regards
Old 11-08-2011, 02:31 PM
David Gladwin

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

Carsten, I agree with all you say. Seems just such a terrible shame that this company can offer such superb equipment but is clueless at even basic business management.

I have sent them orders for two friends recently, no reply to original email or follow up.

I just don't understand WIHIH.

Regards,

David.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:42 AM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's been my experience that radio manufacturers are like used car dealers. They'll promise that there equipment is the best but if there's an issue they'll take no responsibility...
Old 11-15-2011, 07:57 AM
essyou35

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I recieved my 8FG yestereday.  The gimbals feel way cheaper than the DX8.  Programming wise the screen reminds me of one of those Ti-84 calculators from the 90s. 

Its doesnt matter though, if it keeps my connection then its good to go.  The quality of gimbals and the interfact dont mean anything if the radio has "holds" and "lockouts" all the time, right?
Old 11-15-2011, 08:43 AM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: skydve76

I recieved my 8FG yestereday. The gimbals feel way cheaper than the DX8. Programming wise the screen reminds me of one of those Ti-84 calculators from the 90s.

Its doesnt matter though, if it keeps my connection then its good to go. The quality of gimbals and the interfact dont mean anything if the radio has ''holds'' and ''lockouts'' all the time, right?
Been flying with a JR 12X since it came out and I've never had a single hold or lock-out. I know people that experienced problems on Spektrum and Futaba, so pick your poison.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:01 AM
essyou35

Well in a hurry I tried to setup my habu 32 with my 8fg.  I did so with my dx8 at the field in about 20 mins.  After an hour I realize what you mean about the programming.  It has some serious stupidity issues with the interface.   I do programming for a living so anything that has some sort of logic is going to make sense to me.  But this thing has some issues.

After throwing the manual away, I found on futuabas wesite how to get the flaps working:
http://www.futaba-rc.com/faq/faq-8fg-2_4ghz-q1133.html

IT TAKES AN ENTIRE PAGE TO EXPLAIN IT.  On the DX8 it was very very simple.  Further, I have to use 2AIL+flap wing type thus losing a channel for no reason.  I have both ailerons on 1 channel, and both flaps on another.

If I experience a lockout on the futuba I will break into bits right there in the pits.  Futaba's interface is a joke so all it has going for it is reliability and it BETTER NOT let me down 

I'm sorry I am mad a SPektrum, it cost me a plane AND it cost me the rest of my flying season while I get everything setup on a new crazy radio.  ITs really nice outside now with 7mph winds, with 20+ mph predicted the rest of the week.  I have nothing setup yet with my 8fg.

So I am frusterated, can you tell?
Old 11-16-2011, 11:11 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Really? I've programmed a JR 10X, a JR 12X, a Futaba 9C, and a Futaba 12FG, and I find the 9C to be the easiest followed by the 12FG. The stupid JR mechanism of having to go to 3 or 4 different pages and use mixes, etc. to put a given channel on a given switch/slider/knob is totally obtuse to me.

I don't understand why for the Habu with standard flaps, why you can't simply leave it in single aileron wing mode and go into the Function menu, set channel 6 to be "Flaps" and set any of the switches/sliders to operate it. That's how it works on the 12FG and I believe that the 8FG programming is similar. It takes about 30 seconds to do...

I do agree though that for many tasks, the Futaba manuals are just this side of useless! I don't know about the Spektrum manuals, but the JR manuals for the 10X and 12X are only *slightly* better than Futaba's... [:'(]

Bob
Old 11-16-2011, 04:47 PM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I couldn't agree more about the 9CAP. Great radio, very easy to program. Once I started using my 12Z, I missed the simplicity of the 9C. The more recent Futaba radios employ a logic (or lack thereof) that sometimes baffles me and almost always frustrates me to no end. Learning not to over-think the programming is the first step to getting along with these radios. I won't even get started on Futaba's lousy manuals, except to say that they are not entirely useless. I keep mine in the bathroom. The pages are soft, strong and thoroughly absorbant.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:57 PM
essyou35

I got a temp solution for the flaps. However, it requires me to set the wing type to 2ail + 1 flap. I have both ailerons on 1 channel so I am wasting a channel doing it this way.

Iwent out a flew my habu, flaps were way off in terms of elevator compensation. Got that dialed in.

Now to get that channel back so I can put steering on it.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:13 PM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just select the wing with a single aileron channel and no flap. Then, assign flap to another channel as Bob previously noted. The radio doesn't know and doesn't care where that other servo is located, it will just do as you tell it.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:50 PM
essyou35

I dont know how to assign flap yet, but will work on it.  I had to get a flight in.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:20 PM
DougV

To create a new model:
Select NEW, press and hold RTN for 1 sec.
Model Type: select Airplane
Wing: Normal, scroll down to wing type and select 2 ail + 1 FLP or to 2Flaps.
Then go to Tail and select Normal or Ailevator for 2 elevator servos, then click YES to confirm then select the frequency you’ll be using 7ch mode or MULT mode.
You are done! All in on screen, less than 2 minutes.
Now you can go and tap LNK and there you can change the servo reverse and also your end points, go to the servo monitor to see what channels are what, your flaps will be set on the knobs (LD or RD) you can change this to any switch you like by going to the Function menu.

FWIW, I flew JR for many years, I still have a 9303, JR programming is a little easier IMO but to great extent it is due to the fact that they are far more simple (with less features) than Futaba (When compared apples to apples)

Hope that helps,

Doug.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:13 PM
essyou35

Doug, if I select  2 ail + 1 flp, I lost a channel since I run both ailerons on 1 channel.  I need 7 channels total, and I am using a 7 channel RX.  I need to have steering on separate channel to stop steering when gear retracted.  I used servo reverser for now.

However, one other crappy thing is that the 7th channel port is the battery port too so I have to use a Y harnes to connect in flight pack.  Would be nice if battery for RX had its own spot.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:12 AM
DougV

Ok, you’re using the R617FS receiver, you can use any channel or use a Y to any channel to connect the batt pack, but if using an ESC you will be getting power from channel 3 anyway. (well... depends on your setup)

Select 1 ail only.
Go to the function menu and scroll to channel 7 and select one of the AUX channels, Select the switch that you will like to use under CTRL and use this channel for flaps.

Separate nose wheel:
Go to the Function menu and scroll to channel 6, and select one of the AUX channels, under CTRL select J4 (rudder) and under TRIM select one of the knobs or sliders (so you can trim the nose wheel separate from the rudder trim), connect the nose wheel to this channel and you are done.

Hope that the attached .pdf for Malcom will help more.

Regards,

Doug.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Nl28383.pdf (858.8 KB, 37 views)
Old 11-17-2011, 11:40 AM
rcjets12
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: Roberto Denadai

Hi Guys,

I need to buy a radio for my first jet

I ´m thinking in the Aurora 9 or JR 11

The price of Aurora 9 is really good. I think 9 channels is enough right ?

Best Regards
I had a 9303 for years but on my F-15 I ran out of channels so I just upgraded to a 12X. If you use match boxes or reversed servos with Y then 9 channels wil be enough for most jets.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:11 PM
jetster81

ORIGINAL: ash 26

This is why I am using Multiplex M-Link in all my Jets for the last 18 month it works no issues for me great service and great back-up

cheers

Andy
plus one on that, I used MPX for more than 25 years on 35megs with no problems then I had a spell with Spektrum as I believed it to be the latest safe technology and at this period Multiplex had not a 2.4 system, but I was wrong and now I am back with them on M-Link with a Royal Pro 16ch TX and my confidence is completely restored. I am still very disapointed that Spektrum could put out such a fragile system for sale to the public knowing the possible consequenses.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:18 PM
JohnMac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: jetster81

ORIGINAL: ash 26

This is why I am using Multiplex M-Link in all my Jets for the last 18 month it works no issues for me great service and great back-up

cheers

Andy
plus one on that, I used MPX for more than 25 years on 35megs with no problems then I had a spell with Spektrum as I believed it to be the latest safe technology and at this period Multiplex had not a 2.4 system, but I was wrong and now I am back with them on M-Link with a Royal Pro 16ch TX and my confidence is completely restored. I am still very disapointed that Spektrum could put out such a fragile system for sale to the public knowing the possible consequenses.

I just waited for Multiplex to bring out their M-Link. The 35 MhZ system had never failed me in 25 years. I changed to Mlink as soon as the 4000 Modules became available and I now have the Royal Evo 16. Bullet proof. Last weekend I saw one of my friends using one of the far eastern brands loose complete control of a brand new jet. This is the 3rd such incident and this time there was no question as the jet was cavorting all over the sky with his hands clear of the Tx. He wont be using the F word again, he is switching to Multiplex. It's a shame that the US aghent does not see fit to get MPX radio type approved in the USA.