Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

When's the 12X replacement coming?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

When's the 12X replacement coming?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 06:55 AM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: When's the 12X replacement coming?

The same old arguments come around again and again.

Telemetry - you don't have to look at the TX for it to be useful. Alarms can be set which mean that the info can be passed aurally without ever having to take your eyes off the model. If your spotter is looking at an Iphone when you are flying, then who is actually spotting for you?

Difficulty programming - this only depends on what you are used to. I accidentally deleted all the settings for one of my models recently whilst trying to select the model memory on a Spektrum DX7. I have to think to do this as I only use this TX infrequently. Programming a Futaba TX, for me, is easy in comparison. If you consider that the Futaba TX is more complicated to program then you have to wonder whether it is just lack of familiarity or maybe it's because some of the Futaba TX's are far more flexible than some other brands.

As you can probably guess, I am a Futaba user. However having said that, I need a new TX very soon and I am considering switching to another brand (possibly Multiplex) where I can get all the features I need for a fraction of the price. If JR would come out with a higher end version of the DMSS XG8 with more channels then I might take a look at that too. Unfortunately, despite all the hype about other manufacturers joining the TX market (such as Jeti and Weatronic) we seem to be pretty much limited to JR, Spektrum, Graupner, Futaba, Hitec and Multiplex. I won't buy 'old' protocol radios for my jets so that rules out JR, I don't like remote RX's so that rules out Spektrum, I don't trust Hitec or Graupner, so that doesn't leave a lot of options left[&o]
Old 12-03-2011, 08:39 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

We sold 60+ DSX-12 radios, for one dealer in little old UK, that's a lot. My close circle of friends all fly them, that's around a dozen people, regular flyers...mainly jets, NOT A SINGLE problem.

It does everything I want from channels and simple programming, I know plenty of Futaba guys who don't/can't program their own radios....If there was a poll, we would get a load of varying answers, but I for one expect five years from a top end radio, I got nearly ten from my four PCM 10x radios and all have been perfect. Times not up yet.
The next top end radio from JR will be DMSS and the 11x is next for that as an XG11. I like DSM-2, its been good for me and I'm cautious about change...
I'll start using an XG8 any day and expect it to be typical JR...stress free.

Dw
Old 12-03-2011, 08:59 AM
schroedm
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave,

Purely out of interest, how would you setup a complex model like a SM A10 on an 11ch radio? Do you use several matchboxes/y-leads? You're known for 'proper' setups so how to tackle this....

A10, for example, 2 ail servos, 4 flap, 2 decelerons, 2 rud, 2 elev, nose steer, gear, brakes, 2 x turbine, 1 x lights, 2 x canopy release and lock.

What would your strategy be?

Cheers
Mark
Old 12-03-2011, 09:34 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

ORIGINAL: schroedm

Dave,

Purely out of interest, how would you setup a complex model like a SM A10 on an 11ch radio? Do you use several matchboxes/y-leads? You're known for 'proper' setups so how to tackle this....

A10, for example, 2 ail servos, 4 flap, 2 decelerons, 2 rud, 2 elev, nose steer, gear, brakes, 2 x turbine, 1 x lights, 2 x canopy release and lock.

What would your strategy be?

Cheers
Mark
Mark

I'd use my 12 channel radio Powerbox. I nearly always match box flaps even on simple models as it makes set up easy. so...
2 for ailerons. 2 for elevators, rudders one channel as easily matched mechanically and mirrored servos make direction right. I like separate nose steering, but could run the three through matched channels,
decelerons matched. All twins I have flown use a single throttle channel and with JC can still re start one engine "if" it miss starts, Gear and brakes 2, lights and cannopy locks, I'd probably have it so that the canopy lock had to be in for lights to work! good indication and could share channel.
I have no issues with high quality Y leads on smaller jets (rudder/nose steering), but tend to use PB in anything scale with longer leads and matchbox option is there now.

Dave
Old 12-03-2011, 11:11 AM
Xairflyer

Dave not many of the ARTF guys out there would know how to setup a model mechanically and cant survive without multiple channels and mixes.

My first Ducted fan jets back in 1990 were setup with std JR radios and when I got my first JR 6ch computor radio I could'nt believe things like travel adjust, and sub trim!
Old 12-04-2011, 02:25 PM
rolsen12

I use Futaba brushless with my 12X. When JR comes out with a brushless I will use them.I tried a lesser cost set of servos last year in one of my jets, andhalf way throuh the flying season one of the aileron servos failed. Got it down, bug got rid of the old servos.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:34 PM
allmetal plane

With due respect to all..Futaba, Hitec, Airtronics, and other radio manufacturers....

The ONLY Brand I use for flying my aluminum airplanes is JR DSMX. I have never had ANY issue, even with the older DSM2

Due to the other brands's single receiver configuration I would not even think of trusting 3000 plus hours of work. With a hiden single receiver set up, in a metal airplane, the signal will be completely blanked out. Remote receivers give me the option and realibility I would NOT have with other brands. Hopefully JR will come up with a more advanced equipement...

Old 12-04-2011, 04:48 PM
DavidR

ORIGINAL: Xairflyer

Dave not many of the ARTF guys out there would know how to setup a model mechanically and cant survive without multiple channels and mixes.

My first Ducted fan jets back in 1990 were setup with std JR radios and when I got my first JR 6ch computor radio I could'nt believe things like travel adjust, and sub trim!
Maybe that's the reason why we so often read about brand "X" having an elevator failure! I started flying RC back when there was not even servo reversing, I got a transmitter tha allowed me to do that and I thought I had the shiznit! If you look around at the guys that never seem to have "radio problems", or any other myriad of problems, most of those guys are the ones that still setup a there airplanes properly mechanically first then utilize the feature that our "modern" radios afford us.

DR
Old 12-04-2011, 05:01 PM
KC36330

ORIGINAL: DavidR

Maybe that's the reason why we so often read about brand ''X'' having an elevator failure!

+1

seen that for myself just a few days ago, someone put 3D sized control horns on an elevator which required the travel adjust to be turned down to almost nothing loosing all the resolution, not to mention the mechanical advantage of the servo then claimed the airframe had a design flaw where the elevator blanked at speed, it was simply an improperly setup linkage issue.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:29 PM
Xairflyer

Very true some dont realise a big 20Kg servo with the linkage 40mm out from the centre has the same torque as a 10kg one with the linkage at 20mm
Learn how to mechanically set up your models using 100-125% throw by mechanically setting your arm and horn lengths to maximise the servo torque and resolution and not using incorrect horns/arms then dialing it down to 50 or 60% on the rates or travel adjust.

Always if possible have the distance from the centre of the servo, to the linkage, as short as possible, and it should never be more than the length of the control horn, apart maybe from odd linkages like on some flaps.
Most models properly setup up don't need anymore than 10kg servos.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:58 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: DavidR

Maybe that's the reason why we so often read about brand ''X'' having an elevator failure! I started flying RC back when there was not even servo reversing, I got a transmitter tha allowed me to do that and I thought I had the shiznit! If you look around at the guys that never seem to have ''radio problems'', or any other myriad of problems, most of those guys are the ones that still setup a there airplanes properly mechanically first then utilize the feature that our ''modern'' radios afford us.

DR
Give that man a prize! We have a WINNER!
Old 12-05-2011, 12:16 AM
bigplumbs
Banned

ORIGINAL: RCJetBazz

ORIGINAL: dubd

It's been years since the 12X has come out and soon the Futaba 18MZ is will be out. What is JR's response? As much as I've like my 12X, it was outdated when it came out. It was basically a 10X with a 9303 UI. Anyone hear about it's replacement??? Years ago we heard about the 16X, but now, nothing... Is it too much to ask for upgradable firmware, lithion-ion batteries, touch screen, sd card, telemetry and a modern UI??

Anyone know if JR is working on anything new??? Seems like Futaba is innovating and JR is... well stagnate.
Agreed 100%, also the fact it lacks ball bearings, my left gimble on throttle has this intermittent coarse grainy feel for the 3rd year now.

I had that on my 11x Just take the back off it and remove tha metal strip that provides the resistance and wipe both bits. Put it back together and all fixed

Dennis
Old 12-05-2011, 01:55 AM
craigdyer

My MX22 with 12 channel Spektrum module does everything I need, Helis, jets, plenty of channels and switches to keep me happy.

I would buy an new engine or jet before I purchased a new radio.

BRG, Craig.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:47 AM
Mart (Ham)

ORIGINAL: craigdyer

My MX22 with 12 channel Spektrum module does everything I need, Helis, jets, plenty of channels and switches to keep me happy.

I would buy an new engine or jet before I purchased a new radio.

BRG, Craig.
Craig,
I still love my MX22 but only have the 9 channel speky module, I didn't think there was a 12 channel module available!
did you modify a 12 channel module to fit your MX?

Martin
Old 12-05-2011, 06:40 AM
Roger M

Fitting a Spektrum 12 channel module internally would almost certainly contravene the BMFA's guidelines on modifying Tx's, which could result in the insurance becoming invalid if you have an accident. You could fit the Futaba 12 channel module for the MX22 which gives you all 12 channels. I've been using mine for jets for well over a year now with no issues.

Roger
Old 12-05-2011, 08:17 AM
HarryC

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

20Kg servo with the linkage 40mm out from the centre has the same torque as a 10kg one with the linkage at 20mm
I am sure that you meant to say force, not torque! Servo torque is a fixed number regardless of where you connect the pushrod. A 20kgcm servo is always 20kgcm and a 10kgcm servo is always 10kgcm of torque. It's the force applied to the pushrod that varies with radius.

H.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:06 PM
craigdyer

Hi Martin,

Spektrum DM12 module has been avaialble for about 12-18 months now.

The module is the same as DM9, just plug it into the back of your radio and viola 12 proportional channels back again.

I run R1221X Jr Receivers and plug it all in and mix it ie: rudder steering servo, flaps etc.

The DM12 is available in Australia.

Kind Regards, Craig.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:33 AM
Xairflyer

ORIGINAL: HarryC

20Kg servo with the linkage 40mm out from the centre has the same torque as a 10kg one with the linkage at 20mm
I am sure that you meant to say force, not torque! Servo torque is a fixed number regardless of where you connect the pushrod. A 20kgcm servo is always 20kgcm and a 10kgcm servo is always 10kgcm of torque. It's the force applied to the pushrod that varies with radius.

H.
Yes you are correct, my point was mainly that the 10Kg one was applying the same push/force as the 20kg one
Old 12-06-2011, 08:12 AM
Mart (Ham)

ORIGINAL: craigdyer

Hi Martin,

Spektrum DM12 module has been avaialble for about 12-18 months now.

The module is the same as DM9, just plug it into the back of your radio and viola 12 proportional channels back again.

I run R1221X Jr Receivers and plug it all in and mix it ie: rudder steering servo, flaps etc.

The DM12 is available in Australia.
Craig,
The DM12 module you have does it have this part number on it SPMMS2142?
as this is what horizon hobby are saying I need,

Martin
Old 12-06-2011, 09:32 AM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Despite 12x being a perfectly good radio, I still think JR needs something new to compete with. Think about it, with the launch of 18MZ if the 12x was in Futaba's line up it would be their fourth from the top radio. After 18mz, 14mz and arguably 12Z. Why should JR's top radio only compete with Futaba's 3rd?

Mike
Old 12-06-2011, 01:20 PM
craigdyer

Hi Martin,

No part number like that, model number on label is DM12.

I will check out horizon and have a look and see if its the same.

BRG, Craig.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:39 PM
craigdyer

Hi Martin,

Checked out horizon but I did'nt see any thing like mine.

I did do a web search on DM12 a a lot came up referring to MX22 and DM12 but most of it was in german.

I recall the module being a replacement fro the Graupner MC18 and MC24 radios.

When I got mine I had to reposition the antenna plug from the side of the module to the back of the module but it was an easy modification.

If you like I can make some enquiries from the hobby shop I got mine from purchase it on your behalf and send to you, you can fix me up for the cost.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards, Craig.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:32 PM
craigdyer

Hi Martin,

I contacted the hobby store I got mine from and they are available for AU$269.

The Hobby shop is Kelletts Hobbies and they are located in Sydney.

I think they have a web site you could contact them through there.

The person to concact is Michael Towell, alternativley I will get it and post to you.

Kind Regards, Craig.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:50 PM
Mart (Ham)

Craig,

PM sent
Old 12-07-2011, 09:38 AM
Fugitivo

Perhaps this one is of your interest. It is compatible with JR receivers. The Spektrum DX10T

http://spektrumrc.com/Products/Defau...odId=SPM2800US

It has only 10 channels but what do you think?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.