Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Fly Eagle Vs Jet legend Vs Skymaster vs Fei Bao

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems
View Poll Results: A poll
SKYMASTER
43.49%
JET LEGEND
8.32%
FEI BAO
6.28%
FLY EAGLE
41.92%
Voters: 637. You may not vote on this poll

Fly Eagle Vs Jet legend Vs Skymaster vs Fei Bao

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 05:33 PM
BobbyMcGee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fly Eagle Vs Jet legend Vs Skymaster vs Fei Bao

Well, that certainly put all the nails in the coffin.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:44 PM
powerjets
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: LGM Graphix

ORIGINAL: powerjets

ORIGINAL: powerjets

ORIGINAL: PaulD

I can't vote.

There's no ''They're all crap'' option.

PaulD
Please share your experience...
Nothing ?

I can probably chime in experience wise with Paul here as we have had the experience together on many of these planes.

Skymaster experience, Viperjet, nice airplane, some awkward build but overall ok however........ One wing was fine, the other wing was missing the top spar!!!!!!!! Nothing on the top of the wing tube socket running down into the wing. This was fixed by cutting the wing skin open, adding a spar, and reglassing the wing skin.
The wing tube itself is garbage, we have seen more than one bend under normal flying loads. Unfortunately this airplane was lost after very few flights, I did not see the crash so I won't comment on the crash itself.

Fly Eagle experience, myself, Stefan and Wolfgang spent hours and hours on the design, cad files etc of the Liberty sport jet. I drew the original idea, Stefan spearheaded the project, and wolfgang used his engineering experience to create the airfoils, moments, and CAD files etc. In the end, the Liberty ended up being very different from those drawings. Certain elements that were designed specifically for flight characteristics were changed by FEJ's. The final product did not look like the original drawings as much as they should have. The airframes for the small ones were very heavy, and the large ones had structural issues. Those issues were addressed by me once I had my kit with extensive emails sent back and forth to no avail. The response I received from James was ''we are very busy with scale airframes and the Liberty is not priority''. Fine, it's not priority, but there were structural issues, so STOP SELLING IT!!!! Paul was very interested in this airplane before he bought his viperjet and decided against the Liberty after seeing it in person. I don't blame him. There were parts missing in my kit which admittedly FEJ sent out, but they took a while. However, there were air cylinders where the piston pushrod was rusted, their answer was to just polish them up but the pitting in the rod caused major leaks on those cylinders.
I also had a FEJ Rafale which was nice, Paul saw that airplane too, but it took aftermarket cylinders in the gear to make them work too as even the replacements that were sent out leaked just as badly.

Jet Legend experience. A BAE Hawk that has been nothing but a nightmare to deal with, primarily in the paint finish on it. Admittedly, the jet is being repainted, but nobody can give me an answer as to what the original in the mold paint used is and it wrinkles and bleeds through with every type of paint / sealer we've tried on it.

No Fei Bao experience that I'm aware of personally, but you don't hear much in the forums of them outside of the ones that have failed in flight.

These are just personal experiences and opinions. I personally am not interested in any of the chinese kits anymore, but if I were to buy one, I'd buy from Global jet club, never directly. Skymaster has had problems, but on some of their smaller/older designs I'd still maybe own one. FEJ from my experiences, as well as the experiences of others who WERE big FEJ supporters (one in your area in particular) but now would never touch one of their jets again, is a manufacture I'd donate to a museum if I was ever given one of their jets now. I would never fly it nor would I sell it to somebody who wanted to fly it.

Thanks for the explaination,
Although I agree that some of these models were/ are not up to an acceptable standard , I dont think Paul is right when he states "they are all crap"
that sounds like frustration, which is understandeble if models are lost. And you're right ; after some mishaps one of the biggest FEJ promotors here took a 180 turn..
I am flying Skymaster and FEJ scale birds and they have been great. But I carefully picked them from/after other peoples experience...Having said that there are some jets of these companies I would not buy.
As said many times before, they all have pros and cons...
Old 05-30-2012, 07:56 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've owned all of the Chinese jets mention in this poll and I have to say from my experience the nod goes to Skymaster because of their exceptional landing gear. However, Mike Lin does a wonderful job supporting Fei Bao and Jet Legend and he has made owning those planes trouble free. I put many flights on a Jet Legend F-18 and a friend has 100+ trouble free flights on their F-15.

Anton and John at Skymaster also provide really good service to me. They answer my emails in a timely fashion and have always helped me out if an issue arose. My last few Skymaster planes were built by Ian as I've been swamped over the last two years, but those planes have been bullet proof.

I have my first FEJ on the bench (1/7 F-14) and at first glance it looks good. Packing was exceptional, paint looks great, and build looks on par with other manufacturers. James and Lowell are very helpful. I'm not sure I like the honeycomb material over straight glass/wood, but time will tell. I absolutely hated it on a 40% 3W Extra when the plane needed repair, but it was fine for the hundreds of flights prior. Guys that know me, know that I fly A LOT, so if there are problems with the planes, it'll show up pretty fast. I'm not a rep or fanboy. Just a lifelong RC enthusiast that is happy there are plenty of options for us.

One thing I've learned is that you should never take a manufacturer's plane at face value. You have to go through the plane and improve aspects of it that give you pause. I even do this if I have a pro builder put my plane together... Probably to my builder's disgust!! LOL i just disassembled the majority of a newly finished Skymaster large Hawk so that i would have piece of mind when flying it. I consider all of these planes "almost" ARFs, so I go the extra mile in order to make sure the planes are airworthy and so far it's worked for me.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:17 PM
NM

When you obtain any RC Jet models from SKYMASTER, I am sure that you do not have any headache at all.
The company boss, Anton Lin-san is an excellent designer as well as he is a skilled flyer of RC Jet models.
He does test flights onhis production modelsbefore he starts the mass-production.

The company provides not only quality products but alsooffers the best service which includes all kinds of
techinical enquires. The price range of his manufacturing assemblies are also being set in very fair view.
SKYMSTERknows really what is the RC Jet models. He pays very keen attention to each small parts such
as gear door hinges, each connections of aileron, elevator, flap and rudder. The external lookling is easy to
get from the ourside materials.I know other 3 manufacutures have the same models in same scale.
Yoy may see that most of the popular RCJet models have come out from SYMASTER first.

The best of SKYMASTER is that he knows how these small partsare important whenthe RCJetmodels fly
over 200km/h in the air.

This is my main reasonwhy you will not haveany headache on his products.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:21 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ianober

Shaun, I agree to disagree.

Fair enough.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:43 PM
jlmaviation
My Feedback: (54)

I say get the jets from Global Jet Club. The ARF-Pro versions. They go thru each one reinforce where necessary and are pre-build.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:02 AM
Mark H

Skymaster built and owned,
2xF16 1/6th scale , F4, Sabre F86, A10 ,
Jet ledgend,
F22, 2xF16 1/6th scale,F15B, 1xF16 1/8th ,Mirage
Flyeagle,
F14, F16 1/8th, F18 A10.
Fei Bao
F4, Euro fighter.

Skymaster, out and out quality U/C that work, in the air and on the ground with superb handling quality, good scale outline, rivets and paint work all excellent, Quick to build as very few problems as all the ground work has been done, . I think most aircraft are damaged by gear problems and bad materials used in Landing gears, Skymaster do not suffer in this way,So its 1st place to Skymaster, It is total pieace of mind , I just have to wait so long for kits, why because so many people are buying Skymaster, perhaps thats an answer to this poll after all.
Demand must speak for its self,
I wish they would install horns, ......
As for a total package then Comp ARF must be looked at as must BVM and others but in the poll we were only given SM FEI JETL AND FLEGAL .
Old 05-31-2012, 02:02 AM
gab_arm75
My Feedback: (1)

I voted for Skymaster, because plane from them have normal quality and very good LG.
I dont have any plane from JL and FEJ and can't tell any feedback.
But i have problem with Fei Bao Hawk and can tell, this company have very bad quality for metal parts and accessories. He use soft alluminum for stab rods and lg.
This company never compensate any loss from for the quality.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10718218
Old 05-31-2012, 03:42 AM
aquaskiman
My Feedback: (46)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Doug Cronkhite

Near as I can tell, Skymaster gets their airplanes more close to 'finished and tested' than the others. Fly Eagle has had horrible landing gear problems in the past. Fei Bao and Jet Legend have been pretty good I think.

In the end though, as usual, if you want a REALLY good airplane, you build it yourself. All these build threads where people bolt a couple pieces together and install radio and engine make me giggle.
+1
Old 05-31-2012, 04:33 AM
fly_mark

over the last 15 years of jet models I particularly thank Anton for the support and cooperation and for the wonderful models that Skymaster has produced and marketed.
A company must also be evaluated based to the support after the sale and the personal relationship that can establish with the customer.

and for all this reason ... with no dubt SKYMASTER !!!!

Old 05-31-2012, 05:55 AM
Andrew Bailey

ORIGINAL: jlmaviation

I say get the jets from Global Jet Club. The ARF-Pro versions. They go thru each one reinforce where necessary and are pre-build.
That's what I thought. I loved my GJC (Fai Bao) L39 for all of 12 flights before the wing retaining bolt pulled part of the fuselage away allowing the wing to flutter gently back to earth whilst the rest of the plane destroyed itself by pretending to be a lawn dart.

The response from GJC was that I must have landed it hard enough to cause structural damage. No more that I expected, butI won't be rushing to buy another GJC or FB jet.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:59 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

I am letting this one run for now AND being a little lax about who posts where BUT please keep any negative contributions to yourself UNLESS you can back things up with examples and or pics.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:49 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: j.duncker

I am letting this one run for now AND being a little lax about who posts where BUT please keep any negative contributions to yourself UNLESS you can back things up with examples and or pics.
Good luck on that note lol. The topic is a time bomb getting ready to explode. I think..."your post tastes of fail".
Old 05-31-2012, 06:56 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Does Feiboa make Der Jet?
Old 05-31-2012, 08:00 AM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

This is interesting, reading the post you would assume people are going with skymaster but the polls seem to be indicating Fly Eagle is the way to go, I wonder if some parties are dupe voting.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:16 AM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

If you would look at the amount of jets fej is selling its easy to see the voting is correct.

I had a thread like this not to long ago asking for factual data on what right looked like, I wanted to know what makes a jet the best. Since all you seem to see is this vs that post and I wanted to know since I was new to jets. Things like materials used, landing gear, serivce and many others were brought up, and I discovered only one thing. No one jet is really better than the other, they all have pros and cons and depending on the persons personal desires each will be better in that persons opinion. The simple fact of the matter is every company listed has people that have success with something others say is junk. I think people forget that everyone has a different building level/experience and flying skill. I found jets easy to fly and after building my first one I dont think they are very hard to build either, others are on the other end of the spectrum so its hard to make anything of this type of thread. I stated before if you think something is bad then give facts to why its bad and then see how many have had the same EXACT problem, most of the time its very rare for everyone to have the same exact problem with a jet. If they do it normally gets fixed in some way.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:35 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: FenderBean

If you would look at the amount of jets fej is selling its easy to see the voting is correct.
Ah, but if you look at the number of jets actually *flying* - like at FIF this past weekend, you will see Skymaster has the vast majority...

Bob
Old 05-31-2012, 08:46 AM
FenderBean

Well from what i have seen this year FEJ has really come on board and lots of jets are going out the door, i would bet you will start seeing a lot more FEJs at the events. Skymaster has been around longer correct? I bet KY jets will have a lot more this year than last based the number of people on here that have them now.

oh and how do you double vote? once I voted the vote option went away.
ORIGINAL: rhklenke

Ah, but if you look at the number of jets actually *flying* - like at FIF this past weekend, you will see Skymaster has the vast majority...

Bob
Old 05-31-2012, 09:12 AM
Shaun Evans

I discovered only one thing. No one jet is really better than the other, they all have pros and cons and depending on the persons personal desires each will be better in that persons opinion.

FB,

To arrive at that, you have to first conclude that there is no one purpose for which these things are built...that the thing's utility is in the eye of the end-user. For none to be better than the other, then issues like people having to replace all of their air cylinders has to mean nothing. One ARF having missing or non-existent critical structures under the skin and the other being well-designed and well-built in its respective factory would have to not be a factor worth considering. I think I generally understand what you're saying, but the idea that if people have had issues with even the best kits out there means that they're on par with the worst kits out there (because some people report sunshine from heaven) is just a little too simplistic. Some of the manufacturers in this poll have put out some absolute garbage that's represented a ticking bomb in my opinion. I've built them and found issues so outrageous that I've stopped building, and called the customer to report that we were either going to have to renegotiate the job or that he needed to come pick up his refund and jet because I didn't want to be involved in a crash-waiting-to-happen. When a manufacturer proves to my satisfaction that nobody ever attempted to assemble one of their kits, then I can't put them on par with another manufacturer who at least test flies the equipment before they ship.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:13 AM
Wap4life
My Feedback: (3)

Bob
[/quote]

I guess everyone that flys jets attend FIF

Old 05-31-2012, 10:01 AM
rhklenke

Well from what i have seen this year FEJ has really come on board and lots of jets are going out the door, i would bet you will start seeing a lot more FEJs at the events. Skymaster has been around longer correct? I bet KY jets will have a lot more this year than last based the number of people on here that have them now.

Not really that much longer. I bought my first (2), and last FEJ jet(s) just about 4 years ago...

Bob
Old 05-31-2012, 10:06 AM
rhklenke

ORIGINAL: Wap4life

ORIGINAL: rhklenke

Bob
I guess everyone that flys jets attend FIF [img][/img]

Well, the vast majority of guys who I know that fly jets from Florida to New York to Kentucky and Tennesee were at FIF - a pretty big representative sample. I'm not sure where else but at a flyin you'd get to see that many jets flying... Flyins are one of the best places to see what *consistently* works and what does not...

We'll see what the story is at JoK, but based on last year, Skymaster would win there as well, although there were 2 or 3 more FEJ jets that flew, or attempted to, at JoK last year.

Bob
Old 05-31-2012, 10:46 AM
FenderBean

Its funny I have seen none of these issues in any of the three jets I have bought? My f16 required no mods to fly safely. My f15 looks good as well nothing looks wrong or badly designed. I don't have my f14 yet but enough people are flying them I don't expect to have any issues.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:07 AM
ianober
My Feedback: (12)

I don't have my f14 yet but enough people are flying them I don't expect to have any issues.

Huh???? I know of maybe 3 people who have successfully got them in the air and barely got them back in one piece. I think the F-14 is far from being labeled as an everyday flier such as the F-16 or F-18 they produce.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:41 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: YellowAircraft

I think I generally understand what you're saying, but the idea that if people have had issues with even the best kits out there means that they're on par with the worst kits out there (because some people report sunshine from heaven) is just a little too simplistic.

Boy you missed your calling, talk about diplomatic, you should be in the State Department!! :-)

Seriously, this arguement that: "they all have had problems" therefore "they are all the same" is so completely wrong.

"Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc"?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.