Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JET LEGEND VIPER BUILD THREAD

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JET LEGEND VIPER BUILD THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 06:59 PM
cosmo21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: JET LEGEND VIPER BUILD THREAD

Hey guys,

can anyone give me a heads up how to operate the JL electronic gear valves.
Never used this b4, always servos ect.

Im using a JR DSX 9 system.

I plug in the gear plug to gear on the rx and one valve lights up, the other does nothing.
So far the brake valve is not doing anythind at all.
What am I doing wrong? Theres no F$%$^ing instructions, so I'm guessing at best.

cheers

Matt
Old 05-20-2013, 07:14 PM
Jeremy_D

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You also need to plug the brake lead into your rx. They work on separate channels
Old 05-20-2013, 07:32 PM
cosmo21

Gday Jeremy,

Ive plugged the gear into the gear slot on rx, and the brake into aux 4, which is operated on a slider switch.

I'll try again.
Are the end point all 100 percent ect, any tricks?

Matt
Old 05-20-2013, 07:44 PM
cosmo21

The 2 white valves are the gear up/gear down valves? Yeah Ive got them switcing over, on/off. The red leds. but strangely, it's marked as the brakes in the little circuit board. Bloody confusing.

Matt
Old 05-20-2013, 07:56 PM
mikedenilin
My Feedback: (67)

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Hi Matt for the end point on the brake, use max. end points 130+/- so you can get both the pulsing (anti-lock) from mid section of the lever and fully lock position toward the end, about 7/8 to the end of lever.

Mike
Old 05-20-2013, 08:00 PM
cosmo21

Thanks Mike,

can you confirm that the bake valve is the black one? I'll give it a try.

The circuit board is tell ing me the gear and brakes are opposite.

Matt
Old 05-20-2013, 08:06 PM
mikedenilin

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Based on your description, it looks like that they got the indicators reversed. The 2 white ones are for the retracts, and the 3rd lone unit is for the brake. I am not sure about what color of the wires are for the brake. A picture is worse a thousand words, maybe you can post a picture of the set up so we can help indicate the right wire. Mike
Old 05-20-2013, 10:54 PM
Pierre747

Hi Guys,

how long is your grass runway?
i'm planning to buy a viper with a 120N, do you think I can fly it on a 85m runway?

thank you,
pierre
Belgium
Old 05-20-2013, 11:04 PM
cosmo21

Thanks Mike,
I got it sorted, I brought the end points up and brakes are now working, or at least the valves are. Havent hooked up the lines ect yet.
Yeah it appears that the markings on the control board are the wrong way around. Talk about making me think...... no instructions and contructed back to front....sheesh.

Cheers for ya help fellas..

Matt
Old 05-21-2013, 05:28 AM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I have about 120M usable for my runway. With a 120 AND if you adjust the tank setup for a more neutral CG on take off you can do it with half flaps. But you have no room for error at all. Build it light, no smoke. Use smoke tanks for fuel, use only one front tank.

I have a 100N turbine so the extra thrust will give you an advantage if you hold the brakes and let it biuld power before releasing.

85M is alost too small except for 3D plane. If some EDF jet cant use it.

That madien will be scary! Please video.

ON a day when the grass is too long, you will lose your viper.

ORIGINAL: Pierre747

Hi Guys,

i'm planning to buy a viper with a 120N, do you think I can fly it on a 85m runway?

thank you,
pierre
Belgium
Hi Guys,

thank you,
pierre
Old 05-21-2013, 08:06 AM
jeff sewell
My Feedback: (1)

We have about 150 metres of grass and I can easily get mine off with the T12, no flap and standard fuel tanks in less than half. Landing is about the same but obviously full flap. I hold the Viper on brake and wind up the turbine and release.
As Essyou35 says though with an 85 metre strip you have very little room for error. If you can, get some practice at a bigger runway so you can get used to its handling characteristics and gain some confidence before trying at your strip. It will be worth the effort as the Viper will reward you with lots of great flying...

Jeff
Old 05-21-2013, 10:35 AM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Does anyone else have a slight bend in the wing spar? I have issues getting mine in and out of the fuse, like it sticks. Its very slight, have to roll on the ground and I can hear it, not see it.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:48 PM
noahb

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys, received my retracts today and have a few questions:

1. Are the main tires hollow? Mine seem to be pressed in easily and I am concerned that they will end up hitting the rim and damaging the sides on landing. The main tire is solid.

2. The air nipples on the retracts are very small. The airline they sent me (two sizes) will just barely fit onto the fitting, it takes very little to remove the airline. the larger size wont even stay on. What are you guys using to secure the small diameter line to the retract cylinders and brakes?

Thanks
Old 05-23-2013, 03:00 AM
noahb

Ok, i figured out what to do with the small air fittings.

However, if somone can chime in and let me know if there main tires are solid or are they hollow? Mine I can without much pressure squeeze the side walls in and have them touch each other.

Thanks
Old 05-23-2013, 03:02 AM
jeff sewell

Hi,
The tyres require pumping up! There is a valve somewhere on the hub apparently. This is new to the Viper as mine hasn't got pneumatic tyres but completely solid.
You need to use the small ferrules supplied to secure the 2mm tube onto the 2mm nipple. Find the ferrule and insert the tube so it is flush with the bottom. Push the tube and ferrule onto the nipple with a small (blunt if you have them) pair of side cutters as these will locate onto the waisted section of the ferrule and allow you to apply some force. Be careful not to push too hard as you can break the nipple. It should go on easily, if not then try again. I've pumped my system up to 200psi to test and nothing blows off!

Alternatively, replace every 2mm nipple to a 3mm one (they just swap out) and use 3mm tube

Jeff
Old 05-23-2013, 04:15 AM
ceffi

and ferrule onto the nipple
Be careful not to push too hard as you can break the nipple
keep caution,
the ferrule have different diameters in the holes each side.
The greater hole is for the nipple side.

Christian
Old 05-23-2013, 04:28 AM
jeff sewell

Like he says...
Old 05-23-2013, 02:21 PM
noahb

Well, I have not found any nipple to air up the tires, and they are rather soft. I will contact GJC and see about getting the solid tires. These are just too soft
Old 05-23-2013, 04:16 PM
Sterling McC.

If you look closely at the wheel it looks like a screw is missing, but it's not.....that is where the little fitting with the black hose screws in and you inflate the tires, it's really a slick setup! Just don't put too much air in or it will rub on the strut. Don't ask how I know!
Old 05-23-2013, 04:23 PM
noahb

Thanks, just seen that. Can you tell me how long they hold air before you have to put more air in?
Old 05-23-2013, 04:25 PM
noahb

Also, have you had any problems with the air up tires as of yet? Do you have many flights on them?

Thanks
Old 05-23-2013, 04:42 PM
littlepiston
My Feedback: (12)

nice!
Old 05-23-2013, 05:55 PM
Sterling McC.

I've only got five flights on mine but it has been over a 2 week period and once I got the tires sorted out pressure wise I haven't had to touch them. If you over inflate like I did, you have to remove the wheel and loosen the screws to get them to deflate. Once set tho they seem reliable. Good luck!
Old 05-23-2013, 06:16 PM
noahb

So what's your opinion so far on the viper?
Old 05-23-2013, 07:37 PM
Sterling McC.

I am a rookie turbine pilot but have been flying rc for 30 years now. I transitioned to jets last summer and currently own a TBM DV8R with a P120 in it. A good first jet with some unique traits but it wasn't long before I was fairly comfortable. I test flew my viper a short time ago and have it set up as per the advice on this thread. ie smoke tanks are fuel and one of the main tanks are smoke. I am very happy with my Viper, the build was fast and all the components fit as they should. It flies great....incredibly fast if you want and with the crow setup as suggested in this thread lands easier than my DV8R. I have the Jetlegend smoke pump on board but I use Tam's smoke injector. If I half fill the tank (roughly 24 ounces), I have a good 4 or 5 minutes of really good smoke and I'm using diesel not smoke fluid! Anyhow you asked what I thought of the Viper so far....the only complaint I have would be the manual that is online could be a little more comprehensive. For anyone buying one I would suggest reading this thread from the beginning...tons of good honest advice and setup info. Have fun with yours, once you get it dialed you will love it! I sure love mine...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.