Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Pulse jet engines?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Pulse jet engines?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 04:01 PM
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Honda
At this point, they are a "Novelty" again.
I totally agree with this, Pulse-Jets have been around for years but are in the spotlight now because they are suddenly very affordable.

The attention generated here on RCU and other forums will ensure plenty of them are sold.

My prediction is that the majority of people who acquire these cheap pulse-jets will buy them, try them and quickly retire them.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:41 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree. The sound is so very disagreeable. About the only reasonable way to operate one would be to fly out in the desert with no one around like Bruce Tharpe does!
Old 10-26-2013, 05:33 PM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I think that is funny that some people think that pulsejets are loud, dangerous and should be banned.

Ever seen boom cars driven by kids on energy drinks or worse?

Rob2160 : Agree 100% with your post.

Last edited by erbroens; 10-26-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:48 PM
rjbob
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vettster
I was elected as president by a unanimous vote(several years now). I was elected to look out for the well being of the club, Now! and in the future to the best of my ability. THAT'S How it works

Since informing my members of the ban on pulse jets.. I have only received replies of "Good Idea" and "Wise Move"
I crown you "King of the Sheep".
Old 10-26-2013, 07:57 PM
Woketman

Originally Posted by rjbob
I crown you "King of the Sheep".
Oh that is rich!!! How right on the mark!
Old 10-27-2013, 01:20 AM
Jetflyer3000
Banned

I have 2 Toki Ductys laying around. I think this pulsejet would work ok in one of these
Old 10-27-2013, 04:04 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

You guys do realize that you are arguing with an individual with a mere 6 years of r/c experience under his belt qualifying him as still a rooky, look at this Vettster fella's very first post on the subject, he demonstrated his lack of knowledge base right out of the gate by stating how dangerous the PJ was because, 1 it gets hot, and 2 you can't kill the monster once it has been awaken, even though it was and is obvious it is fuel fed and could and can be shut down with a servo impute at any time. You want to know who participates in the really dangerous part of our hobby is?

Those Old Free Flight Boys, the nerve of them firing up those noisy little bumble bees and then letting them go with no regards to throttle or directional control... LOL.. Here's your sign.

Bob

Last edited by sensei; 10-27-2013 at 04:22 AM.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:01 AM
Vettster

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow! such negative comments coming from people that have never done anything! for their clubs.

And Ive been flying 8 years now. 7 of them have been with turbines.

Think Im going to ban FPV today..LOL
Old 10-27-2013, 06:46 AM
Art ARRO
My Feedback: (5)

I've posted some pulse jet operating procedures in the "The Clubhouse" forum under the "This is the Danger...." thread. I've also ordered the HK pulse jet and will further comment on this engine upon receipt.

Rgds,
Art ARRO
Old 10-27-2013, 06:48 AM
erbroens

Wow! such negative comments coming from people that have never done anything! for their clubs.
Welcome to my club Sir, I had direct responsability for its design and building among with my friends. Pulsejets are welcome at our club, as long they respect our safety code of procedures. However, they are a rare sight this latest years, as most of the club members fly turbine jets.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	main_03_1000x350.jpg
Views:	1628
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	1933545   Click image for larger version

Name:	clubefenix.jpg
Views:	1823
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	1933546  
Old 10-27-2013, 07:00 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

I don't think they are dangerous. They are just WAY louder than any club (in suburbia) is going to allow. And since there isn't a throttle on them... they aren't much fun.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:13 AM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

Originally Posted by Dr Honda
I don't think they are dangerous. They are just WAY louder than any club (in suburbia) is going to allow. And since there isn't a throttle on them... they aren't much fun.

I take it you don't like pylon racing either? How can an event possibly be "FUN" if you don't have a throttle on your engine/motor, and the noise that those pylon racers is just ridiculous?
Very myopic observation.
Admit it Dr Honda, you just don't like pulse jet engines, pulse jet planes, and the people that fly them. That is fine, but don't condemn a whole area of our hobby just because you don't like it.
I'm moving over to the other pulse jet thread...this one sucks.

PS....Your Signature isn't really a signature, it is an advertisement for your business, and isn't even related to the RC hobby. Not even sure if this is allowed.

Greg

Last edited by OldRookie; 10-27-2013 at 09:07 AM.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:49 AM
dmoody19
My Feedback: (24)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jetflyer3000
Another profit of doom. They have been on ebay for years
lol GUYS if you are gonna say profit at least get the spelling right. profit is making money on top of what you spent. However: a PROPHET is what is here or in better words FALSE PROPHETS :-) .... lol
Old 10-27-2013, 08:06 AM
Vettster

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by erbroens
Welcome to my club Sir, I had direct responsability for its design and building among with my friends. Pulsejets are welcome at our club, as long they respect our safety code of procedures. However, they are a rare sight this latest years, as most of the club members fly turbine jets.

And Welcome to MY field Sir...

Note the town of 500 people directly South of the field 1 Kilometer away. Note the Forest to the W and N of the field.
Note the farm fields ALL around our sod farm that is growing corn 8' high. Note the Houses directly W of our field. Note that this year the police have paid us a visit because the neighbors in the town had complained about the NOISE from a 30cc gasser.

Note that you should not presume that EVERY field in the world has a 3000' paved runway with Zero obstructions for miles around and identical to yours.

Note that to get permission to fly on our field that I had to lobby MAAC for 5 months to change their out dated rule that states that Clubs cannot operate within 4klm of each other. I was successful at that. What does this mean? It means that not only was my club permitted to move within 2.5klm of another club...But that ALL clubs in CANADA are now permitted to more easily open clubs at time when finding new field locations is becoming harder and harder.

I did all this in my first year as president. Our club charges $20 to join and $5 a year to renew(not a typo) So if someone has a problem with not flying the Dangerous and Extremely LOUD Pulse jet engine at our field.. They are more than welcome to take their 5 bucks elsewhere.

enough said..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Baxter field.png
Views:	115
Size:	829.6 KB
ID:	1933550  

Last edited by Vettster; 10-27-2013 at 08:28 AM.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:26 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have only received replies of "Good Idea" and "Wise Move"
From the vastly experienced club membership who have bought into your prophecies of doom and destruction no doubt. Maybe even from the guy who nearly creamed me with an OS .61. The guy who attempted to take off his Etrich Taube through my torso I think is long gone however.

There is nothing wrong with protecting a flying site and your club by avoiding offensively loud models. "Dear members - due to the operational noise level of pulsejets we cannot allow them to be flown at the club field." No argument there - they are LOUD.

But noise is not danger. Claiming they are dangerous publicly in capital letters is fear mongering, plain and simple. Save this for the local soapbox.

All model engines are dangerous in the wrong hands. RC models are dangerous in the wrong hands. So are ball peen hammers, rolling pins, lawn darts, several common kitchen implements, baseball bats and pry bars.

Pulsejets are no more and no less dangerous than all of our larger model internal combustion and turbine systems. We are required to follow the same safety code as turbines, and by doing so this ensures an equivalent level of safety. Throttles aren't required for safety, but engine cut off is. Funny, not for glow models however. With the huge popularity of turbine engines and models, off the shelf models capable of 150-200mph speeds and with complex gear installations, we are already at a point where an equivalent level of potential hazard exists as a norm in the RC club environments. Checkout the crash and burn turbine videos al lover Youtube.

The only two fatalities related to RC modelling I know of in the last decade or so are from RC helicopters. Are they allowed at the club field?

If somebody could post some bona fide evidence that shows that pulsejets are somehow more dangerous than other popular forms of modelling rather than pointing out the obvious fact that they are more dangerous than sitting in front of a computer*, the doomsayers would have something to point to other than a copy of Chicken Little.

* I tend to think more people have been injured or died at their keyboards than at the hands of pulsejets, V-1 notwithstanding.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:46 AM
dmoody19
My Feedback: (24)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was elected as president by a unanimous vote(several years now). I was elected to look out for the well being of the club, Now! and in the future to the best of my ability. THAT'S How it works

Since informing my members of the ban on pulse jets.. I have only received replies of "Good Idea" and "Wise Move"
Of course friend. Those that agree with something speak up while those that do not normally stay quiet in the background. Have a club vote with secret ballot and you might find you aren't that right after all. Make sure ALL the members get to put in a vote and not just the few that show up to meetings all the time. Remember ALL members pay for the privilege to fly in your club right? You may be suprised. Pulse jets can be dangerous. so can a car, a lawn mower, taking a bath next to a radio or walking down the street. I will use mine to chase the birds out of the trees. lol.... then put it on a nice plane and fly it. Since controlling it is SIMPLE not hard with a simple fuel cutoff I wont be worrying too much about this so called uncontrollable monster. I agree they are loud. So most folks will find areas that are safe away from others and enjoy them. If compared to something like FPV I would pick the ram jet every time as the safer of the two. I know several beginner pilots still barely getting a trainer off the ground that have decided they need fpv and THAT my friend is a scarey thing....
Old 10-27-2013, 08:49 AM
erbroens

Note the town of 500 people directly South of the field 1 Kilometer away. Note the Forest to the W and N of the field.
Note the farm fields ALL around our sod farm that is growing corn that is 8' high. Note the Houses directly W of our field. Note that this year the police have paid us a visit because the neighbors in the town had complained about the NOISE from a 30cc gasser.

Note that you should not presume that EVERY field in the world has a 3000' paved runway with Zero obstructions for miles around and identical to yours.

Note that to get permission to fly on our field that I had to lobby MAAC for 5 months to change their out dated rule that states that Clubs cannot operate within 4klm of each other. I was successful at that. What does this mean? It means that not only was my club permitted to move within 2.5klm of another club...But that ALL clubs in CANADA are now permitted to more easily open clubs at time when finding new field locations is becoming harder and harder.

I did all this in my first year as president. Our club charges $20 to join and $5 a year to renew(not a typo) So if someone has a problem with not flying the Dangerous and Extremely LOUD Pulse jet engine at our field.. They are more than welcome to take their 5 bucks elsewhere.

enough said..

And you should not presume either that our 600 feet runways magically appeared in the middle of a appropiate place to fly.. It took decades of commitment,hard work, research and money from all the club members to make the best r/c club we could make.

Of course, all that work wouldn´t have been necessary if we banned or badmouthed any aspect of the hobby that didn´t fitted the current facilities or our perception of safety at the time they appeared,,.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:12 AM
Woketman

Originally Posted by Art ARRO
I've posted some pulse jet operating procedures in the "The Clubhouse" forum under the "This is the Danger...." thread. I've also ordered the HK pulse jet and will further comment on this engine upon receipt.

Rgds,
Art ARRO
Art, please put your review of your new HK engine here for us to read. I am quite interested in what you think of it.

Thanks.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:58 AM
Jetflyer3000
Banned

And Ive been flying 8 years now. 7 of them have been with turbines.

Think Im going to ban FPV today..LOL
I have been members rep on the committee at my club for about 5 years now. Is that doing nothing
Old 10-27-2013, 11:44 AM
Art ARRO

Woketman,
I'll surely post my comments upon receiving this HK pulsejet which I've ordered. Can I send a copy to PJH? You may lose your next wager with him. LOL.
Rgds,
Art ARRO
Old 10-27-2013, 12:32 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Note the farm fields ALL around our sod farm that is growing corn 8' high. Note the Houses directly W of our field. Note that this year the police have paid us a visit because the neighbors in the town had complained about the NOISE from a 30cc gasser.

enough said..
Nice field. The club has moved more times than I can counted in the last three decades. Tough when there are so many sod fields around but it is so hard to get permission to use and continue using them. You should protect that effort jealously. And obviously flying pulsejets that close to Baxter would be a dumb idea.

From my perspective I have zero problem banning them from your field due to noise sensitivity. They are grossly, offensively loud. But that's it.

But I do have a problem with you posting "Dangerous.. pulsejets" on an internationally read forum when in your own pictures you show that you fly turbines on the same field. Without direct experience, knowledge or evidence to support the theory that they are more dangerous than turbines (because there isn't any), unsupported fear mongering should be avoided. The rest of us have enough problems without a self-proclaimed prophet exclaiming the evils of pulsejets to the world.

I actually do have access to a massive field to fly them with two >2000' grass runways, in the (relative) boonies, and I can do so legally, safely, and within the constraints of the MAAC safety code and with the field owner's permission and without pissing off the neighbours. So I am no threat to your club, to MAAC or its reputation, or anyone else - any more than you are. And as an aside, I have had a direct hand in affecting federal regulations (the CARs) to the benefit of MAAC and other modelling associations operating within Canada - this is primarily with respect to model and high power sport rocketry, not fixed wing, but it counts in my books. This was accomplished by suppressing the fear mongering others and educating TC (and other agencies) about that area of the sport, the mandatory safety codes, and what it is the participants really do with the stuff and what it capable of. As a result there are regulations in place now that allow these sports to continue unhindered as long as the safety codes and all regulations are followed, and those rules and regulations are quite livable and reasonable.

I am firmly on the side of doing things by the book and staying safe. I am not a renegade modeller.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:15 PM
byrne1157

OMG!!! The sound of rubber bands being wound is just too much! And dangerous!! One might snap and put somebody's eye out!! Uncontrolled model airplanes? We need to ban all Freeflight airplanes!!!--- Sheesh!!!
I'm glad I fly at a public site, with other GROWNUPS that know how to police themselves....
Old 10-27-2013, 04:32 PM
Woketman

Originally Posted by Art ARRO
Woketman,
I'll surely post my comments upon receiving this HK pulsejet which I've ordered. Can I send a copy to PJH? You may lose your next wager with him. LOL.
Rgds,
Art ARRO
I seriously doubt there will ever be another wager. He will never agree to one again! But I can dream!!!!
Old 10-27-2013, 05:10 PM
dirtybird

I remember when pulse jets fist appeared. I think it was about 1946. Nobody thought them as dangerous. I flew one ona control line under the lights in a ballpark in 1950. With the audiance about 50 ft away behind a chickenwire fence.It made lots of noise and little diamonds formed in the exhaust For the second flight I think everone in that small town came to see what the noise was. They loved it, especially the kids
Old 10-27-2013, 05:19 PM
GlenR
My Feedback: (18)

Thank you Carlnoki for the pulse jet fuel recipes.

OMG!!! The sound of rubber bands being wound is just too much! And dangerous!! One might snap and put somebody's eye out!! Uncontrolled model airplanes? We need to ban all Freeflight airplanes!!!--- Sheesh!!!

Byrne 1157 it's not always about SAFETY,,,SAFETY,,,SAFETY,,,it's about respect. I respect my neighbor's right to the expectation of peace and quiet. That is why I would never start my pulse jet in the house with the windows open.
The Darwin Theory 101 glenr

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.