Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JetCat 180rx

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JetCat 180rx

Old 09-17-2012, 07:08 AM
rc4flying
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default JetCat 180rx

Does anyone know when the JC 180RX will be available ?
Old 09-17-2012, 09:21 AM
bruno borges

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: JetCat 180rx

Old 09-17-2012, 09:22 AM
bruno borges

That's a great question, I sent this same question to the JetCat, it told me it was to be available in August, Masate now nothing they arrive.
What I've been knowing that they walked and having some problems with some turbines RX 180 that were the first to be marketed. Here in Brazil had 3 180RX turbines that have problems and were returned to the JetCat.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:51 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 160 Likes on 132 Posts

There has been some turbine wheel issues due to a foundry problem. Checks before assembly are slowing down the deliveries, but more P-180RX turbines will be coming through very soon. Existing owners might want to talk with the supplying dealer, who can deal with JC about any questions. Basically there are a few turbine wheels with a less than perfect profile on one blade.

Dw
Old 09-17-2012, 12:31 PM
Jetkopter
My Feedback: (1)

Its more than just a bad wheel, the NGV needs to be opened up to let more oil flow to the rear bearing and the combustion chamber needs modification or exchange. I think Jetcat USA has contacted all P180 owners to advise them to send there motors in for the upgrades. The good news is that the 180 rx will start shipping the end of September. I have had several on order since January and am glad to see that this motor has finally been sorted out.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:39 PM
bruno borges

I really hope the JetCat has solved all the problems of the RX 180, because I'm an F-86 turbine only waiting to fly. If they take longer'm thinking of putting a EVOJET.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:44 PM
Jetkopter

Been waiting since January myself, it usually ends up being worth the wait. JetCat Germany seems to have the best technology when it comes to turbines but you would think that they could make a clock that actually keeps the same time where on or a calendar whos months are the same as ours, not the fantasy land time there on.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:47 PM
indubitably
My Feedback: (14)

Bruno - I hope you are ahead of me, then i can move up on the list. I hear that the pump, and filter may be under the hood, making the installation just that much better. Im waiting.
John
Old 09-17-2012, 05:45 PM
Jetkopter

Its is under the hood, they took the stock pump and milled the corner off it, they also have the solenoids under the cover as well. The trick is the new software and the bubble detection feature they have come up with for priming since now you cant see the pump.I know how its supposed to work and sounds good on paper but Ill be running it on the test stand first!
Old 09-17-2012, 07:26 PM
indubitably

Sounds like the P 180 RXI
Faster response, and a whole lot tidier, and simpler to install. Thats progress. Along with other improvements in our planes. No air, and no propane, hope to never go back to those inconveniences. Are we loosing anything? Such as mystique, the joys of complexity??? The questions of whats that for? We are becoming just like the electrics. Engine, fuel, radio, switch. No more awe of tubes of all colors, and actuators, and electronic duplicators.
John
Old 09-17-2012, 09:52 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 160 Likes on 132 Posts

I'll be very surprised if you see an RXi this year....my face to face talk tells me its a way off. The 90RXi has finished development and is a month and a half away, I'm expecting all my next few deliveries to be P-180RX's as they are. We have had no bearing or combustion chamber issues and have motors with over 10 hours running. None of the pilots I have spoken to in Europe have had problems either...!?

Dw
Old 09-18-2012, 03:17 AM
Mavrik!

Does the P140RX have any issues given it is exactly the same can?

On that note what exactly is the difference between a P140 and P180?

Mav
Old 09-18-2012, 04:44 AM
bruno borges

I just hope the JetCat has solved all the problems of the RX 180 as an excellent brand and turbine and want to continue using it.
For turbine equal to 160 had not, I never heard that she had been a problem, this turbine was one of the best that the JetCat already produced.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:53 PM
Jetkopter

There is no issue with the 180 RX combustion chamber as is, there fine. Problem is that the other mods like the mod to the rear oiler are causing the combustion chamber to be moded or replaced . Big difference between 140 and 180 totally different internals 140 run like clocks!!!!
Old 09-18-2012, 02:34 PM
Mavrik!

ORIGINAL: Jetkopter

There is no issue with the 180 RX combustion chamber as is, there fine. Problem is that the other mods like the mod to the rear oiler are causing the combustion chamber to be moded or replaced . Big difference between 140 and 180 totally different internals 140 run like clocks!!!!
Which one spools faster the 180 Or 140?

Also what makes the 180 give 4kg extra thrust from same can size 140 and same compressor and turbine wheel size?

Mav
Old 09-18-2012, 03:40 PM
Jetkopter

Different compressor, ngv, combustion chamber, egv and wheel not to mention more fuel. Dont know how the 180 spools as I dont have any yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im sure there close. We are all so concerned about how fast they spool, truth is there all very close and where getting spoiled,some of my first turbines you could nail the throttle and go get a cup of coffee and not miss anything, you actually had to be a head of your airplane. New guys today dont know how good they have and how far these motors have come in a short time.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:03 PM
Mavrik!

I have a 140 yet to fly it (just bench start).

I wanted a 180 but was put off by all the issues.

When will we see reliable 180's?

Mav
Old 09-18-2012, 11:37 PM
Aussie Bart

Chris

I have a 180 in my Euro and it runs like a treat. How abouts you take the Euro for a spin on the weekend, I'm sure you will like the way the 180 pushes her around.

Shane
Old 09-19-2012, 12:06 AM
Nhalyn

I'm flying not only jets but also all sort of planes, from small to big scale, electric powered (up to half scale), gazoline powered, or jets. My Jetcat P160SX is by far not the slower reactive engine that I fly ! Even my electric engine (AXI 5330) is less reactive on my half scale plane with it big propeller !

Even my Zenoah 62cc with tuned pipe and 22x10 propeller is less reactive than my JC 160SX for the slower throtlle response ! Thi splane is a tow plane so I have hundreds of landings with it ! I've fly for a try a big plane engined with a 150cc 3W engine and was astonished how poor was the response of the engine was compared to what I know.

So when I maindened my Futura I was very scared to what should be the turbine response during approach and landing, but finaly found it to be just as my well known gazoline engines ! Since that I've bench tested a P140Rx for a friend and my feeling is that it's an instant response turbine and that we don't need more ! We are even manualy regulating the movement on our stick just to ensure a minimum of realism and not to endure too much secondary effects !

Spool up time of any engine (electric, gazoline, jet) is one of the parameters a pilot have to work with. Speedy engines are simpler to fly maybe, but that should not let you not anticipating your flight and actions...

I'm currently looking to replace my P160SX for a P180RX in my futura, I need the P160 for a scale project... I'm sure Jetcat will produce very soon a perfect engine, as usual for Jetcat.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:37 AM
Mavrik!

ORIGINAL: Aussie Bart

Chris

I have a 180 in my Euro and it runs like a treat. How abouts you take the Euro for a spin on the weekend, I'm sure you will like the way the 180 pushes her around.

Shane
Hi Shane, doing half a days work office tomorrow Thursday then heading down! Thx for offer! Would be good to hear first hand experience with the 180. Curious about fuel also as I only carry 3.4 L F22!

See you shortly!

Chris
Old 09-25-2012, 08:51 PM
furloughed ual
My Feedback: (31)

Hey guys, I have the newest version of the 180 RX. As far as I know, it's the only one out there right now. It is the latest verions with all the above mentioned mods done. It's got the new combustion chamber, a shaft tunnel mod, oil system mod, and new turbine wheel. This is the version that will be availabe soon as the production 180RX.

I have 4 hrs run (29 runs or so) time on it now. Bob sent it to me and told me to "torture it". I've been really pleased with it. It has very good acceleration and hasn't missd a beat. Very smooth and consistent starts each and every time. I am able to set both the throttle response for IDLE RPM to "FAST" and the HIGH RPM to "FAST" and slam the throttle stick from a stabilized idle and get very smooth transitions to max RPM. This was done at 8000' density altitude without issue, so it will be superb for you "flat landers". No matter what I do to the throttle, I can't get it to hiccup. As I mentioned, acceleration is very good even up here in CO. The best part is that is has a really nice "feel" to it in flight. Nice response and feel when making throttle changes at low RPM on final.

A very nice turbine. The wait was worth it.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:18 PM
indubitably

I take it that the pump is under the hood, and when you say these are the mods, then may we be optimistic that the i version will be available soon? As in the next delivery of the180RX (i).
From what Dave said, it might be a two step - Internal mods like you mention, then the geographic move of the pump and filter later.
That s the problem with mods. Once you hear of them you want them sooner than later. But i will take the 180 RX when its available. And maybe the move inboard can be done later with "parts".
John

I had heard that you had the prototype of the full - new 180RXI?
Old 09-25-2012, 09:33 PM
furloughed ual
My Feedback: (31)

As far as we know, the 180 will not be the i version at this time....only the 90 for now.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:02 AM
rc4flying
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So...... Does anyone know when we will start seeing these start shipping in the US ?
Old 09-26-2012, 07:38 AM
schroedm

ORIGINAL: furloughed ual

Hey guys, I have the newest version of the 180 RX. As far as I know, it's the only one out there right now. It is the latest verions with all the above mentioned mods done. It's got the new combustion chamber, a shaft tunnel mod, oil system mod, and new turbine wheel. This is the version that will be availabe soon as the production 180RX.

I have 4 hrs run (29 runs or so) time on it now. Bob sent it to me and told me to ''torture it''. I've been really pleased with it. It has very good acceleration and hasn't missd a beat. Very smooth and consistent starts each and every time. I am able to set both the throttle response for IDLE RPM to ''FAST'' and the HIGH RPM to ''FAST'' and slam the throttle stick from a stabilized idle and get very smooth transitions to max RPM. This was done at 8000' density altitude without issue, so it will be superb for you ''flat landers''. No matter what I do to the throttle, I can't get it to hiccup. As I mentioned, acceleration is very good even up here in CO. The best part is that is has a really nice ''feel'' to it in flight. Nice response and feel when making throttle changes at low RPM on final.

A very nice turbine. The wait was worth it.

Hi,

Please can you explain what you mean by "the only one out there", "latest version with all the mods" etc etc. When did you get your 180 and when was it produced by Jetcat? As an owner of 4 180s I'm keen to find out exactly what engine you have compared to mine.

There have been 180RXs out since the beginning of the year. I have spoken to Jetcat Germany about your post (to see if mine were due updates) but they are not aware of 'new versions' or 'latest mods'. There was a minor manufacturing issue which led to some 180RXs needing some remedial work but that was a just a casting issue - not an engine redesign.

Look forward to the gen.

Rgds,
Mark

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.