Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Whats so special about jets?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Whats so special about jets?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 10:19 AM
k_sonn
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Whats so special about jets?

ORIGINAL: basimpsn
Does sounds like a turbine from the video
These fans are a nice alternative power source for those who want to fly a jet but their field doesn't allow turbines or those who perferr electric power. They sound even better in person than in the video.

Kirk
Old 09-24-2012, 01:45 PM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Still not the same... and you still have the same fire issues with that many LiPo's.... and that set up is just as expensive. Doesn't do anything for me.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:42 PM
k_sonn

ORIGINAL: Dr Honda

Still not the same... and you still have the same fire issues with that many LiPo's.... and that set up is just as expensive. Doesn't do anything for me.
No problem Tony. If your field ever becomes unfriendly towards turbines and you still want to fly jets, I'll be here to help you make the transition

Kirk
Old 09-24-2012, 04:03 PM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kirk. Real nice man. Did you build the Hunter? Sounds and looks great. That fan sou ds like it should be leaving a Con-trail. . Ha. Ha.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:18 PM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

I will be at warbirds,over the rockies this weekend I always look forward to the jets while I am there.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:10 PM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: k_sonn

No problem Tony. If your field ever becomes unfriendly towards turbines and you still want to fly jets, I'll be here to help you make the transition

Kirk
Hey Kirk, that does sound good, very impressive, thanks for sharing the vid!

Mike

Old 09-24-2012, 05:15 PM
Doomking
My Feedback: (38)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I only partly agree with that. Sure... there is a ''WOW'' when you see someone drag out a $20k jet.... but I get a wow factor from my ''Dollar Store'' jets all the same. (I have well under $1500 into any one of my jets)
Tony
Would you be able to send me some links where I can put a RTF jet for around $1500 ?
I am on a budget like most of us here, but If it would be great to fly one for that amount.

Thanks
Old 09-24-2012, 05:21 PM
larry11
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: Doomking

I only partly agree with that. Sure... there is a ''WOW'' when you see someone drag out a $20k jet.... but I get a wow factor from my ''Dollar Store'' jets all the same. (I have well under $1500 into any one of my jets)
Tony
Would you be able to send me some links where I can put a RTF jet for around $1500 ?
I am on a budget like most of us here, but If it would be great to fly one for that amount.

Thanks
It can be done. You just have to piece one together with used equipment and or cheaper arfs
You just have to be a bit patient to find the deals.

Without looking to hard here is one currently listed.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=871924
Old 09-24-2012, 06:28 PM
Dr Honda

No problem Tony. If your field ever becomes unfriendly towards turbines and you still want to fly jets, I'll be here to help you make the transition [img][/img]

Kirk

Don't get me wrong. I'm not against the EDF's... but they don't do anything for me, personally. It's just like the IC DF jets of yester-year. They were cool to look at, but I wouldn't own one. I will admit, that the new big EDF stuff has great performance... but I'm cheep, So... high-end EDF's aren't an option to me. I'll fly my big gasser sport planes.

And... as far as my field not being friendly... they aren't. I'm about ready to quit my current club. The b#@$&ds made the vote (no turbines) when the only waver holding member wasn't there. So... I'm going else where next year.

Sorry... just the way I feel.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:32 PM
Dr Honda

ORIGINAL: larry11

ORIGINAL: Doomking

Tony

Thanks
It can be done. You just have to piece one together with used equipment and or cheaper arfs
You just have to be a bit patient to find the deals.

Without looking to hard here is one currently listed.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=871924

Yep... what he said. This info is out there. I can tell you right now... NitroPlanes has the 120 falcons on sale for $127. (just got the email tonight)

http://www.nitroplanes.com/newsufa12063.html
Old 09-24-2012, 06:41 PM
JackD

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess is a very personal choice, but I would not trade a high performance large EDF for a tornado/reaction/shockjet kinda plane....

Again, personal choice, nothing wrong with any of them....
Old 09-25-2012, 08:59 AM
k_sonn

ORIGINAL: hooker53

Kirk. Real nice man. Did you build the Hunter? Sounds and looks great. That fan sou ds like it should be leaving a Con-trail. . Ha. Ha.
Thanks. The Hunter is a Ripmax/Flying Legends arf of the Mick Reeves kit. I have the Mick Reeves kit and was planning on starting it this winter but the arf came out so I went that route. If anyone is interested in the Mick Reeves kit, I can make youa good deal on it.

Kirk
Old 09-25-2012, 09:13 AM
k_sonn

ORIGINAL: luv2flyrc

Kirk
Hey Kirk, that does sound good, very impressive, thanks for sharing the vid!

Mike

Thanks Mike.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:27 PM
Doomking
My Feedback: (38)

Yep... what he said. This info is out there. I can tell you right now... NitroPlanes has the 120 falcons on sale for $127. (just got the email tonight)

http://www.nitroplanes.com/newsufa12063.html
Tony
Thanks again for your help.
The Nitroplanes Jet looks great and amazingly reasonable in price!!
I am surprised it can handle a turbine as well.
Is it ready to go out the box for a turbine or you have to do major mods?
Also what size turbine will it take to fly it rather well?

Sorry about all the questions.
I normally fly giant scale warbirds and I am really interested in jets lately.
However I am complete green about it, so if there is someone that would kindly list the additional accessories with used prices, just to get an idea of what price range I am looking for RTF NitroPlanes Falcon.

Thanks for all the help.

Fabio
Old 09-25-2012, 05:52 PM
jetflyr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tony
Thanks again for your help.
The Nitroplanes Jet looks great and amazingly reasonable in price!!
I am surprised it can handle a turbine as well.
Is it ready to go out the box for a turbine or you have to do major mods?
Also what size turbine will it take to fly it rather well?

Sorry about all the questions.
I normally fly giant scale warbirds and I am really interested in jets lately.
However I am complete green about it, so if there is someone that would kindly list the additional accessories with used prices, just to get an idea of what price range I am looking for RTF NitroPlanes Falcon.

Thanks for all the help.

Fabio
[/quote]

I'm not Tony, but having built one, I think I can answer some of your questions.
The Falcon is not even close to being ready "out of the box". However if you are a modeler, and can look at things and say "nope! I want it this way" it can be an amazingly inexpensive and fun airplane!
As far as engine size, I live and fly at 7000 feet - and flew mine just fine on a 15 pound thrust Wren. So anything from a P60, Wren 54, P70 is fine.

There is a 178 page thread on the Falcon here, as well as 110 (or so) on the Modellbau Tornado - which is an improved version of the Falcon. Lots to read - but lots of drivel that can be skipped ... and tons of good ideas for other "kit-bashed" projects.

If you have been flying warbirds for awhile, I imagine you have enough Robart and Springair gear for a lifetime, and good servos are just-good servos.
Keep it simple, read the threads (and make notes) and have fun!

Greg

Old 09-28-2012, 09:19 AM
gooseF22

Jets are like girls, they come in all shapes and sizes, and there is usually something desireable about each one in its own way..some not so much.. some are fast some are slow.. some have sexy lines, some are buttugly, but they all make the same sound and are def a challenge...

But for me its simple.. Im a retired jet pilot...speed addict..
Old 10-05-2012, 05:23 AM
rctech2k7
My Feedback: (1)

It took me a long time to read the whole of this interesting thread and post again. There’s so much reason why jets are so special, I can even see it from here but not all are doing the same way similar to what Dr Honda had mentioned. I remember when I was new, it's my passion to see high power jets but when I went to a field that nobody fly jets, I was flying my small light scale model when someone told me the reason why they don't like to fly on other field because of the noise and tension in the air caused by jets. I’m still learning but whenever I heard jet starting up, I land and watch this beautiful and very impressive aircraft. So I have to adjust when flying with aerobatic 3D guys but now, old days were past, they learned more about jets which turn out more impressive to accept and welcome jets nowadays.

Jets are development in aircraft, a collection and investment of knowledge, time, money and skills...