Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

DX18 Yes or No need advise please!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

DX18 Yes or No need advise please!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 06:57 AM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DX18 Yes or No need advise please!

ORIGINAL: dubd

ORIGINAL: AndyAndrews

I just wish JR would come out with a 18x and I'm holding out for a better JR. I don't trust anything with Specktrum's name on it.
Unfortunately I've come to the same conclusion... I really did try and stick with Spektrum with the DX18, but that was short lived.

So now you get an 18mz again why didn't you post in this thread you had 3 DX18's with screen problems? I suggested an 18mz earlier in this thread and the JR/Spectrum extremist went ape *****.

After 4 versions of 2.4 its questionable if JR/Spectrum has there act together:

DSM
DMS2
DMSx
DMSS

I bet there will be a 5th within 1-2 years.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:03 AM
JimJones1
Banned

ORIGINAL: DiscoWings

I just wish JR would come out with a 18x and I'm holding out for a better JR. I don't trust anything with Specktrum's name on it.
Unfortunately I've come to the same conclusion... I really did try and stick with Spektrum with the DX18, but that was short lived.

So now you get an 18mz again why didn't you post in this thread you had 3 DX18's with screen problems? I suggested an 18mz earlier in this thread and the JR/Spectrum extremist went ape *****.

DSM
DMS2
DMSx
DMSS

Millions of DSM 2.4 Gig flights world wide with no problem so why do you keep thomping on about a radio that costs over £2000 (Ridiculous)
Old 02-17-2013, 07:29 AM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DSM
DMS2
DMSx
DMSS

What's the relevance of Spektrum updating their 2.4 protocol? Futaba has as well. I've logged thousands of flights with my 12x on dozens of planes and had zero problems. I wanted more than 12 channels for my A-10 and F-14. I thought the DX18 would be a good solution, but I had hardware problems. I could have either dealt with the problems or find an alternative. Because JR has been incredibly slow in releasing a 12x replacement and because they are splitting from Spektrum, I got a 18MZ. JR will eventually release the 12X replacement, but 12x owners will still have to buy all new receivers and I don't want to be an early adopter on a new 2.4 system. My primary radio before the 12x was a 14mz, so getting a 18mz isn't a big deal.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:42 AM
DiscoWings

ORIGINAL: JimJones1

Millions of DSM 2.4 Gig flights world wide with no problem so why do you keep thomping on about a radio that costs over £2000 (Ridiculous)
Look, keeping everything in perspective £2,000 radio is not that off when you are dealing with £6000 aircraft. If you were flying park flyers, I would say you have a point.

I had a 12x for about 3 months, and looked at the DX18 for a solid week, checking out the programming and other features. I couldn't stand the scroll wheel to do things.

Having had, an Aurora 9, 14mz, JR 12x, the 18mz stands alone, and if you have more than a couple jets it should be a no brainier.

If you are intent to stick to JR, than the only sensible option is to wait for a 12+ channel radio for JR under the new DMSS spec, buying a DX18 on old DSMX (amazing, 1 year is now considered old) is wasting money.

Having on hand experience with DSM and DMS2 I can't tell you that these protocalls lock out, in fact there were Jet events where DSM and DSM2 have been banned out right, I haven't seen DSMX but I think this protocol is much safer. As for millions of people flying without problems, not true at all:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n63lfsXp998[/youtube]

Also dubd, futaba hasn't updated there protocol, FASST is still the main and preferred 2.4ghz system and has the most features, all SBUS 2 rx are FASST base.

F-HSSS is japanese spec to meet Japanese RC requirements, the same that JR had to do with DMSS to meet Japanese RC requirements. The new Futaba Radios can run either mode.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:51 AM
JimJones1
Banned

Look, keeping everything in perspective £2,000 radio is not that off when you are dealing with £6000 aircraft. If you were flying park flyers, I would say you have a point.
I am afraid I would not agree with that at all. I think it is way over priced. Heck Futaba has just come out with a 14 ch radio at £400 so I guess they were worried also.

I have many jets and other planes and generally use an 11X Zero on DSM2 and a DSX9 on DSM2 and have had great success.

To pay twice as much for a TX as you would for a very high spec computer seems bonkers to me

I will make a guess and suggest that you also have apple computers ?
Old 02-17-2013, 07:53 AM
JimJones1
Banned

I had a 12x for about 3 months, and looked at the DX18 for a solid week, checking out the programming and other features. I couldn't stand the scroll wheel to do things.

Having had, an Aurora 9, 14mz, JR 12x, the 18mz stands alone, and if you have more than a couple jets it should be a no brainier.

If you are intent to stick to JR, than the only sensible option is to wait for a 12+ channel radio for JR under the new DMSS spec, buying a DX18 on old DSMX (amazing, 1 year is now considered old) is wasting money.

Having on hand experience with DSM and DMS2 I can't tell you that these protocalls lock out, in fact there were Jet events where DSM and DSM2 have been banned out right, I haven't seen DSMX but I think this protocol is much safer. As for millions of people flying without problems, not true at all:

Also dubd, futaba hasn't updated there protocol, FASST is still the main and preferred 2.4ghz system and has the most features, all SBUS 2 rx are FASST base.

F-HSSS is japanese spec to meet Japanese RC requirements, the same that JR had to do with DMSS to meet Japanese RC requirements. The new Futaba Radios can run either mode.
I understand that it was an aileron servo that went bad that caused that Hunter crash
Old 02-17-2013, 08:00 AM
DiscoWings

No I hate macs, but that is because I'm a windows/linux programmer and developer.
If Futaba still had the 12Z I would tell you that this would best radio to get, at 1100 (or 700 used) its has almost all the main features of the 18mz,

the 14sg is the same as an 8FG with telemetry (you can unlock the 8 to 14 channels).

On the JR side, wait for an updated 12+ channel JR on the new DMSS spec, you'll be future proof for a good couple of years, this is the protocol that JR came out with, they aren't licensing the spectrum spec as they did with previous radios.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:46 AM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Disco, you're just a veritable wealth of MIS-information!

1. DSM is a park flyer protocol, if you were flying jets on that , I understand why you were having problems.
2. What jet events ever banned DSM-2?
3. That Hunter crash on video was NOT RF related
4. JR's DMSS was not developed to satisfy Japanese RC requirements, Spektrum DSM-J and DSM-x do that just fine.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:55 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If all of my stuff wasn't JR I would go with the 18MZ. The only reason I went with JR over Futaba in the first place was because that was the radio that most jet guys liked and it made since to use what they used when I first got into jets. Mostly because of he channels needed at the time. I love my 12x. It's a great radio. I also like Futaba. They make great stuff. My first RC radio was a futaba.

But that being said, now that I'm kinda locked in with JR - Plus I love all of the bind and fly foamie stuff I can get with JR. Futaba doesn't have that.

I'll just keep waiting for them to get off their bums and come out with a TX with more channels. I WON'T be buying any Spektrum crap though. I've lost too many airplanes to their bs.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:06 AM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Andy, I was in the same situation. I will keep my 12x for BNF planes and the like. Were your Spektrum issues with Sprektrum radios or 2.4 related. I had a DX-8 that destroyed a Trex 700 because of a hardware problem... later I found out I had one of the radios that were being recalled. [:@]
Old 02-27-2013, 08:44 AM
harttvboy04
My Feedback: (32)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I understand that it was an aileron servo that went bad that caused that Hunter crash
Meaning that the Aileron caused some interferance? It is quite clear that when the airplane crashed that the Pilot had the elevator mashed in the full up position - he was inverted and attempting to correct the nose down attitude. That actually looked more like a radio lockout than anything else - notice before the crash the plane rolls inverted - it seems that was the last commanded action. It would be nice if the pilot had the ability to chime in so the circumstances could be better explained. I, myself, converted to DMSS after seeing how easily the remote satellite connectors could be removed or damaged causing a possible radio link failure. To be rid of remotes AND remain JR was a relief for me. Just my opinion.

Best,

Chris

Old 02-27-2013, 09:23 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Meaning that the Aileron caused some interferance? It is quite clear that when the airplane crashed that the Pilot had the elevator mashed in the full up position - he was inverted and attempting to correct the nose down attitude. That actually looked more like a radio lockout than anything else - notice before the crash the plane rolls inverted - it seems that was the last commanded action. It would be nice if the pilot had the ability to chime in so the circumstances could be better explained. I, myself, converted to DMSS after seeing how easily the remote satellite connectors could be removed or damaged causing a possible radio link failure. To be rid of remotes AND remain JR was a relief for me. Just my opinion.

Best,

Chris
+1

The cause of this crash looks more like a Aileron failure..but could also be a lockout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkTRSGZyjPA
Just my opinion
Old 04-09-2013, 08:06 PM
RJE
My Feedback: (13)

Anymore input about the status and use of this radio....

Thanks
Old 04-10-2013, 01:07 PM
never-enuff
My Feedback: (11)

I am extremely happy with mine!
Old 04-10-2013, 03:05 PM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

The hunter crash was from a dead receiver battery.

This was beaten to death years ago when it happened....with the pilot also being in the discussion.

Beave

Old 04-11-2013, 07:58 AM
E.N.T.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Easier than JR for programming.

ENT
Old 10-13-2013, 06:17 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

*******UPDATE**********

Hi guys,

I know at the begining of this thread, I posted on how to make the 3-step trim work on the regular DX18. AND... some guys didn't like it, since they thought it messed up other functionality of the radio. I just wanted to say, that I have been flying with it all year, and there has been ZERO issues. Since I got the approval to use it from a Spektrum tech... I figured I was going to be safe.

Anyway... I've also been running a second "Mod" from the data file. The regular DX18 only has a plane, Heli, or glider icon in the programming. BUT... the icons for other models are there too. So, by adding a simple line to the code, you can change the icon to a jet, or other model.

The details on it can be found here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1982727

Just a final FYI... there is a lot of DX hacking over on RC Groups also. They have decoded the i2c data for the telemetry system. So... this winter, I will probably work on a Xicoy ECU telemetry unit. (if Gasper doesn't do it first)

Last edited by Dr Honda; 10-13-2013 at 06:24 AM.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:53 AM
Justflying1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have also did the three step trim with no problems. Works great with my twin jet set up. As with all program's you do on a radio do go over EVERYTHING to make sure nothing is effected regardless on make, brand radio.

Ivan