Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Types of Jet guys, which type are you?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Types of Jet guys, which type are you?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 05:08 AM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 128 Likes on 89 Posts
Default RE: Types of Jet guys, which type are you?

Bob, at our age I've been told to never trust a fart...be careful.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:37 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: AMTdude

I'm a stealth guy - i get the job done and nobody knows i was there. :-)
I don't even like when club members at the field know I have a jet
Old 03-05-2013, 08:31 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Updated list.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:38 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Scared to think of where some of the RCU members would put me... :P
Old 03-05-2013, 08:47 AM
JackD
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: LGM Graphix

Easy: Canadian!!!
Old 03-05-2013, 08:48 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: JackD

Easy: Canadian!!!
There are quite a few that would fall under that dubious category They could have a subset of their own.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:40 AM
bchapman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: essyou35

Based on my limited experience here are some types I have noticed. These can apply to all aspects of RC but the jet community, and the cost thereof, create a unique dynamic. I havent captured all types but just the ones that stick out to me. Not intended to insult anyone but just something to think about how you might come off to others. Most of the people I have met outside this forum are just great, but there are some like below and to me they stick out and are hard for me to get over. As I mention below, about 3/4 of the jet community I have met are ''cool guy''.

Trainer Guy: This is the guy that only flies trainer type jets. He doesn’t fly them real well either, and has some crashes, and rarely flies at that. However, he has a lot to say about how others fly, follow rules, land, and build. This is the guy who usually pulls his trainer out to give me ''advice'' on how to land my scale jet, and usually biffs the landing during the ''demo''.

My favorite is when he says ''let me show you how to PROPERLY start your jet'' because I do it wrong of course, and he proceeds to burn the tail off his boomerang/shockjet/mach jet during the ''demo''. He'll usually preach about how my flying is dangerous to the hobby as well.

Non Flyer guy: This guy may have lots of jets, but rarely flies. He has a lot to say about how others flies, constantly talks smack about how many jets he has, how nice his stuff is, how bad my stuff is. But never flies it. He's scared. When he does fly, he usually turns into trainer guy above, the main difference being he actually owns nice jets, that he doesn’t fly. This is the guy that shows up to a jet rally and sets up his jet, doesn’t fly it, but when the rally is over he will gladly report the 50 flights he got on his foamies, that he flew amongst the multi-thousand dollar jets. However, he will pretend they were all turbine flights. He will also claim ''he never crashes'' only because he never flies. He has a long list of everone elses mishaps that he will gladly point out to you when his skills are questioned. Also, if you get the same jet as him, he will gladly point out how bad shape your 5 year old jet, with 400 flight on it is, and how nice his jet is (that never flies) because he is ''that good''. Oh when and when he does fly, he usually has someone else fly his jets, he may take a couple circuits but hands the xmitter over for landing.
See Non Jet Guy below.

NASA Guy: This guy knows everything. He spent $1000 on a private pilots license and this gives him all the skills of an aeronautical engineer. He may know some basic highschool math and will usually start his scientific arguments off with F=mA. He knows nothing of calculus, differential equations, or even basic aerodynamics for that fact but his post or conversations wont admit that. He knows it all. This type also usually never flies. But when he does fly, he wants to prove to you that a tail wind cant cause a stall (because we all know that airspeed cant go negative in a strong tail wind), and he usually ends up spiraling in, of course due to ''radio issues''. Its ok to be NASA guy if you have the background to support it. But if you dont know what differential equations are and how to apply them, forget it.

Know it all guy: This guy is like NASA guy, but doesnt really think about it scientifically. This is more along the lines of he gives advice about a Jet Cats but doesnt own one. This guy states with authority the answers to questions, about something he has no experience with. For example, stating that jet cats suck because (list reasons here), though he has never owned one. Someone who conjectures about how something ''might work'' does not fall into this category, expecially when trying to answer an unanswered question.

Ego Guy: This guy may fly real well, and fly a lot at that. He preaches safety and goes over the same rules with you every time you see him. He talks about how people threaten the hobby with inexperience and stupid actions. His crashes are rare, but he does crash. However, never bring up that point that his own crashes also put this hobby at risk. He could easily crash into a hangar/house as much as I can, but ignore that. His crashes don’t count, what does count is the fact the everyone else is the real danger to our hobby,field whatever.

Non Jet Guy (poser): This guy don’t even own jets, he may of got a waiver from flying ''Non Flyer Guy's'' trainer jets or back from the day you could get a waiver flying a souped up slow stick. But he don’t actually own any jets himself. He never flies because he cant. He'll show up at rallies and he thinks he is allowed in the pits despite not registering to fly because has no jets, but really he is a ''jet guy''. Hes online giving advice, asking questions, and in a fantasy world. He'll never own one because he has no formal education and won’t ever have a real job, he'll need his bread winning wife or mommy to buy him a jet, if it ever happens.

Old Fart guy: This guy is ancient and looks like he has a jet somewhere the sun don't shine. He wants nothing to do with me and if I ask him a question he doesn’t listen but rather is hoping I drop dead in front of his eyes. He's been flying jets long before I was born. He was good at one time, in some ways still is, but like many old guys he losing it, and we all will get there. Don’t approach this guy for help, a waiver, leave him to his cronies and stay out of his way. I will never be part of his circle, and there is little difference between me and a toddler wearing diapers.

Outcast guy: This guy is out casted by the jet community. He bought a scale jet instead of a trainer, and the fact he flew it successful to get a waiver is just not acceptable. He fights against injustice at the field and online, and no matter how good he is he really ''sucks''. This guy is a danger to our hobby because he is violating the traditional thinking you need to have a slow stick with a turbine on it to start out with. He is also not afraid to stick it to trainer, NASA, and Ego guy. Leave old fart guy alone though, he might shoot you. You'll see him posting online pointing out how crappy getting into turbines can be.

Cool Guy: This guy is cool. Hes usually not even online, but there are some are out there on RCU. He flies well, and is always willing to help. He may even scratch build some jets. Hes open to new ideas and doesn’t think so traditional. Its this type of guy we should all strive to be like. He likes my setup no matter what it is. Even if I need some more practice he will compliment me. I would say this type represents at least 3/4 of the jet community, but you have to get out to rallys to really see it. You wont see it online. It also hard to see if when you have minority other types who really stick out.

PS: My favorite is trainer guy. Its just such good entertainment.

No offense, but It sounds like you have "issues" and need to perhaps find a new club, or just fly on your own land or something. Your post was really funny and we all can relate to those categories of people at the field, jet flyers of not. However, I don't think that labeling people and putting them in boxes is the right approach. Just enjoy the hobby. I don't know about anyone else, but I thought it was kind of mean spirited because what we're all doing is making fun of people.

I don't fly jets because I can't afford to buy one, but I did have a Byron F-16 back in the 80's that my dad and I built together, so I guess they may make me kind of a "jet" guy?? I'm only 42 though, so I'm not sure if I can be an "old Fart guy" either, plus I'm always willing to help anyone at the field and I try not to offer so much "advice." If I had to choose I would put myself in the "cool guy" category.

Now that I think about, I bet the ducted fan guys, if there are any, are real outcasts at the field now a days. I think we need a new category for them?
Old 03-05-2013, 10:23 AM
essyou35

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Hmm, doesnt own a jet, thinks hes a jet guy..

ORIGINAL: bchapman

No offense, but It sounds like you have ''issues'' and need to perhaps find a new club, or just fly on your own land or something. Your post was really funny and we all can relate to those categories of people at the field, jet flyers of not. However, I don't think that labeling people and putting them in boxes is the right approach. Just enjoy the hobby. I don't know about anyone else, but I thought it was kind of mean spirited because what we're all doing is making fun of people.

I don't fly jets because I can't afford to buy one, but I did have a Byron F-16 back in the 80's that my dad and I built together, so I guess they may make me kind of a ''jet'' guy?? I'm only 42 though, so I'm not sure if I can be an ''old Fart guy'' either, plus I'm always willing to help anyone at the field and I try not to offer so much ''advice.'' If I had to choose I would put myself in the ''cool guy'' category.

Now that I think about, I bet the ducted fan guys, if there are any, are real outcasts at the field now a days. I think we need a new category for them?
Old 03-05-2013, 10:39 AM
flyinfool1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Geeezzzzz

Not sure where I fall
I am not the greatest pilot around for sure, but good enough that I very rarely ever crash.
I do try to help out anyone that asks for help.
But I do end up preaching a lot of safety.
I am older than dirt.
I am the only active jet pilot in our club.
Having been flying toy airplanes for over 45 years I do have a fair amount of knowledge on a variety of subjects pertaining to modeling.
The only time anyone else has ever flown my jet is on a trainer box where I was trying to introduce them to jets.

Does that make me the "Trainer NASA Ego Old Fart Outcast Cool Guy"?
Old 03-05-2013, 10:41 AM
ravill

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

ORIGINAL: flyinfool1

Geeezzzzz

Not sure where I fall
I am not the greatest pilot around for sure, but good enough that I very rarely ever crash.
I do try to help out anyone that asks for help.
But I do end up preaching a lot of safety.
I am older than dirt.
I am the only active jet pilot in our club.
Having been flying toy airplanes for over 45 years I do have a fair amount of knowledge on a variety of subjects pertaining to modeling.
The only time anyone else has ever flown my jet is on a trainer box where I was trying to introduce them to jets.

Does that make me the ''Trainer NASA Ego Old Fart Outcast Guy''?
YUP!

But you can't call yourself a "cool guy". Someone else has to do that.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:43 AM
bchapman

ORIGINAL: essyou35

Hmm, doesnt own a jet, thinks hes a jet guy..

No offense, but It sounds like you have ''issues'' and need to perhaps find a new club, or just fly on your own land or something. Your post was really funny and we all can relate to those categories of people at the field, jet flyers of not. However, I don't think that labeling people and putting them in boxes is the right approach. Just enjoy the hobby. I don't know about anyone else, but I thought it was kind of mean spirited because what we're all doing is making fun of people.

I don't fly jets because I can't afford to buy one, but I did have a Byron F-16 back in the 80's that my dad and I built together, so I guess they may make me kind of a ''jet'' guy?? I'm only 42 though, so I'm not sure if I can be an ''old Fart guy'' either, plus I'm always willing to help anyone at the field and I try not to offer so much ''advice.'' If I had to choose I would put myself in the ''cool guy'' category.

That's true, because I don't own a jet anymore, but there are too many things under that category that don't apply. I could be "old school guy" maybe?
Old 03-05-2013, 10:51 AM
bchapman

Let me think...Old School Jet Guy...

Flew a ducted fan jet back in the "good ol' days" Doesn't have the money now to get into turbines, but wants to after he gets house remodeled and kid through college. Fly's scale planes like the Top Flight T-34 Mentor, but dreams of flying a nice F-100 or something like that. Doesn't offer the jet guys at the field advice, but watches them to learn. Helps as a spotter when the real jet guy fly's and learns what to do and not to do. Try's to be friends with everyone at the field regardless of interest.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:56 AM
FlyinTiger
My Feedback: (45)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me think...Old School Jet Guy...

Flew a ducted fan jet back in the ''good ol' days'' Doesn't have the money now to get into turbines, but wants to after he gets house remodeled and kid through college. Fly's scale planes like the Top Flight T-34 Mentor, but dreams of flying a nice F-100 or something like that. Doesn't offer the jet guys at the field advice, but watches them to learn. Helps as a spotter when the real jet guy fly's and learns what to do and not to do. Try's to be friends with everyone at the field regardless of interest.

"wanna be" comes to mind...
Old 03-05-2013, 11:58 AM
jefflangton
My Feedback: (23)

There's more than one kind? ?
Old 03-05-2013, 12:50 PM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

Cool guy!
Old 03-05-2013, 03:29 PM
telejojo

Which one is the the guy who started this thread?
Old 03-05-2013, 05:33 PM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That would be "thread starter" guy.