Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Wren Kerostart

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Wren Kerostart

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 03:02 PM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wren Kerostart

I have an old Wren 54 Mk3 with a ECO (manual start) ECU which I'm thinking of upgrading to kerostart.

Is anyone here running one of the newer kerostart Wrens and, if so, how are they? I know the engines are good but am interested in experiences with the start cycle. Is the start reliable? Are the plugs reliable?
Old 03-09-2013, 03:32 PM
Terry Holston
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wren Kerostart

Starts every time No problems at all. The nice thing about Wrens Kero plug, they are user changeable. I hava a spare, but have never needed it.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:34 PM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Here is a post in the Wren support forum showing how to set up their kero start conversion including a video. It's something they just added and looks good so far.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=11426039

PaulD
Old 03-10-2013, 07:13 AM
Wren Turbines USA
My Feedback: (39)

Wren ( UK ) will be holding their Spring Open Day in April. You are welcome to attend and have one of the staff guide you through the conversion!
Old 03-10-2013, 08:51 AM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi S'33,

I have three Wren 160s and one Wren 100, all kerostart. They start very smoothly and while Ron did supply me with a spare for the Kero plug I have yet to replace one.

I've attended the open day before and it's a great time .. and a good way to get the upgrade done and have some great food from the Man Grill :-)

Hope to see you in April, Ron!

Dave McQ
Old 03-10-2013, 08:59 AM
siclick33

Cheers,

I'll probably upgrade mine before the open day My engine has been removed from the model for a small tweak so now's a good time to do it. Good to hear that the system works well (which isn't a great surprise) and I'm looking forwards to ditching all my off-board starting cables, batteries and gas!!
Old 03-10-2013, 04:34 PM
dw_crash
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep in mind.....these are smaller engines.....how much weight extra is Kerostart?

DW_Crash
Old 03-10-2013, 05:18 PM
Terry Holston

Your plane will not know the difference. If you carry an onboard Propane tank , the weight will be less.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:42 PM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: dw_crash

Keep in mind.....these are smaller engines.....how much weight extra is Kerostart?

DW_Crash
An ounce or three depending on the battery you choose. On a 20 pound jet there is probably 2 ounces of dead bugs on the leading edges. For ARF guys, Get a dremmel tool out and grind away that extra glue seeped out of over glued joints that isn't doing anything but riding along without a ticket, that's 6 ounces right there. Even on a Wren 44 powered model (and I don't think you can get auto start on something that small) 2 ounces will even be manageable I'd think. If it's too heavy, then it's too heavy somewhere else.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:09 AM
HarryC

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: Eddie P
Even on a Wren 44 powered model (and I don't think you can get auto start on something that small)
The Wren 44 is auto-kero-start.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:26 AM
Gordon W

It sure is. I've got three 44 Golds, they are all auto-start, and they are a dream to fire up on kero-start. No more carting the propane bottle around in an inside pocket in my coat to keep the gas warm on winter days

Gordon
Old 05-04-2013, 02:20 PM
siclick33

Just a quick update to say that I did upgrade to Kerostart. I ordered the parts from Wren and Xicoy and did the conversion myself, which was incredibly easy. My first attempted start was this evening and it fired up first time .

This engine previously had a ECO ECU so I can now leave the starter lead, battery, gas canister and connector, glow plug and glow lead at home. Much more user friendly