Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

National 747 crash

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

National 747 crash

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 10:27 AM
cyphur01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: National 747 crash

Wow DiscoWings. What a jackass is right. ( used in correct context as a donkey) why don't you go strap about 7 lbs of lead to the tail of your F-18 and see if you can fly it. Take a video too so I can call it pilot error when it rotates and goes straight up and then into the ground in a fireball.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:44 AM
dbsonic
My Feedback: (3)

Horrible. sad indeed. That footage reminds me of the B-52 out of Fairchild and the crew perished.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:47 AM
Alex48

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Upsetting to watch... I'm lost for words
Old 04-30-2013, 10:49 AM
philakapd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There have been several reports indicating seven or eight crewmembers aboard.Five of the crewmembers are from Michigan.One member was just married earlier this month and not only leaves behind his new bride, but his one year old daughter as well.There were four pilots, two mechanics and one loadmaster aboard.
Please be kind to each other while posting as we are with heavy hearts.
-Clear skies to all
Old 04-30-2013, 10:50 AM
Hustler58
My Feedback: (1)

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think the nose would come back down if it were tail heavy. It would have done a tail slide.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:15 AM
Robrow

Just tragic to watch, heart goes out to the families.

Whatever the cause it's plain to see airspeed pretty much drops to zero with the inevitable stall.

Rob.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:21 AM
stevekott

Wow, so sad. And condolences to the families.

I wouldn't even consider pilot error. Any pilot with enough time to be flying big iron would have been shoving that nose down, muscle memory and instinct , IF it was possible.

My younger brother is a Mechanical Engineer at Northrop Grumman. Before that he was at Boeing working on cargo systems , floor rails and restraints. It was always priority 1 to prevent a load shift. It was common knowledge that a big load shift could easily lead to the tragic loss of the aircraft. The critical phases were in heavy turbulence and especially take-off. So sad for these guys and their families.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:26 AM
speed is life

ORIGINAL: Hustler58

I don't think the nose would come back down if it were tail heavy. It would have done a tail slide.
......WRONG, WRONG, WRONG

what you saw is a classic nose high "upset" or "departure" and spin entry.

Tail slide? ....... How long have you been flying full scale jet or transport category airplanes?

Old 04-30-2013, 12:20 PM
Hustler58
My Feedback: (1)

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: speed is life

ORIGINAL: Hustler58

......WRONG, WRONG, WRONG

what you saw is a classic nose high ''upset'' or ''departure'' and spin entry.

Tail slide? ....... How long have you been flying full scale jet or transport category airplanes?

That is what I said in a different way. Read it again! It would have done a tail slide if it were tail Heavy! I don't think it was tail heavy. Butch
Old 04-30-2013, 12:26 PM
speed is life

??????? That is still my point, even grossly tail heavy, a plane like that is not going to "tail slide". It will just depart and spin.  Besides, he was not going 90 degrees vertical in any case.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:27 PM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is hard to watch. The pilots must have known it was all going horribly wrong for quite some time.

If the fire does not damage the black boxes the investigators will have data to work with
Old 04-30-2013, 12:42 PM
Grodus

That is tragic. My heart goes out the the families. It appeared the gear was still down, dont care to watch it again to verify that, I suspect they were fighting with the aircraft trying to gain control of the pitch from the time of rotation.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:43 PM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

terrrible.

A thousand things can cause something like this.. hope the investigators can find quickly the crash cause.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:56 PM
smaze17
My Feedback: (60)

Absolutely horrifying video. Very sad indeed. That must have been a massive cargo shift for the plane to become that tail heavy if that is in fact what transpired.

Rest in peace gentleman.

S
Old 04-30-2013, 01:21 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

What??? Horrible loss, my deepest condolesense to those families, the American ones and the international too
Old 04-30-2013, 01:22 PM
Factorypilot

ORIGINAL: Grodus

That is tragic. My heart goes out the the families. It appeared the gear was still down, dont care to watch it again to verify that, I suspect they were fighting with the aircraft trying to gain control of the pitch from the time of rotation.
Yes the gear was down. I completely agree they knew something was wrong at rotation.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:17 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: DiscoWings

Would like to see more video, why was the jet pointing striaght up, was the pilot knocked out? What was he trying to do? Hover the jet?
Sad but seriously PILOT Error!
Wow. You clearly have no grasp of anything going on here. You'd be better off just not posting at all.

Rumor is the crew was heard on radio stating the cargo had shifted aft. I can't verify if that was true or not, but it WOULD explain what's seen in the video.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:23 PM
DAN AVILLA
My Feedback: (12)

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I was at the Reno air Races and watched the 51 go in. When you see video like this it makes you sick knowing the loss of life. I know of 2 jet buddys that fly cargo. I hope to here from them.  Just say a prayer for the families .  Dan
Old 04-30-2013, 03:50 PM
GSR
My Feedback: (145)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is a tragedy. Just hope they were all KOd on impact. Prayrs. S
Old 04-30-2013, 04:00 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Very sad and agonizing to watch.

For you full scale guys on heavy iron, is there any way to tell the load is off while on the ground besides doing the math? AND how far aft can the CG go before the jet is either light on its nose wheel or just tips on its tail?

Its amazing to me that will the sensors and technology employed in aerospace that there isnt a scale built into the landing gear, maybe through the hydraulics in the struts, to get some accurate read on the CG of the aircraft prior to flight.

Who knows what happened here but I hope the cause is determined soon for closure.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:20 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

For you full scale guys on heavy iron, is there any way to tell the load is off while on the ground besides doing the math? AND how far aft can the CG go before the jet is either light on its nose wheel or just tips on its tail?

Its amazing to me that will the sensors and technology employed in aerospace that there isnt a scale built into the landing gear, maybe through the hydraulics in the struts, to get some accurate read on the CG of the aircraft prior to flight.
This statement assumes the cargo was aft loaded prior to takeoff. As described by witnesses, the airplane took off, was climbing out, and then abruptly pulled the nose up sharply. Now, knowing how inaccurate witness accounts can be, I still get the feeling this is something that happened during the takeoff phase, and not some preexisting condition on the ground. Nobody really knows real factual data yet. That's what the NTSB investigations are for.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:22 PM
patrnflyr
My Feedback: (7)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If it was indeed a "shift", scales wouldn't have done squat on the LG. the word shift means that upon acceleration and rotation, the equipment used to tied down the equipment loosened, broke or shifted allowing the cargo to move aft causing the accident.

PS. As I was typing, Doug beat me to the punch... So ditto.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:34 PM
EDFJim
My Feedback: (2)

777 has a sensor in nose gear that measures weight and will alert if it does not agree with performance input into FMC for CG...
Old 04-30-2013, 04:37 PM
stevekott

The cargo floors in the 747's (or at least the ones I've seen) have steel ball rollers in them. This makes it easy to push around heavy pallets. But you can also imagine that if something failed in the cargo restraints all those pallets could be sliding rapidly to the back of the plane. Even if the pilot knew what happened he may not have had enough elevator throw to do anything about it. So sad, a tragic accident.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:40 PM
jdrd

Having flown 747 freighters for Northwest and being familiar with the hazard of load shift, I suspect that the truck shifted during the take off roll. A heavy take off takes about 45 seconds of roll from start to rotation. The full shift was probably complete right at or near rotation speed causing the unrecoverable pitch up with full power. All numbers in the FMC were probably correct for take off. There is a warning message during taxi if there is a CG problem. The nosewheel strut is part of the system. The accident aircraft appears to be a B-747-800 or 747-400.
My heart goes out to the crew and families. A nightmare scenario that could not be controlled once deep into the take off roll. There is not enough time/elevator or trim to recover controlled flight once that much weight shifts to the rear.

Joe Grice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.