Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Emergency safety alert: FEJ big F-18F Superhornet

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Emergency safety alert: FEJ big F-18F Superhornet

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 09:42 AM
Turbulence
My Feedback: (76)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Emergency safety alert: FEJ big F-18F Superhornet

Awesome save, glad it didn't hit anyone. Now for a Funny side, let's pick on the camera man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dechvhb0Meo

Ralph

ORIGINAL: AndyAndrews

Here is the video Boli made showing how bad the damage is. Again, must be the save of the century!
Old 05-24-2013, 09:49 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

ORIGINAL: RCFlyerDan

Wow! THere is still a lot of ignoraces here on the purchase of the product! Guys!!Keep on buying the FEJ product, so that you can keep this forum going ON and ON and ON! You are truly becoming the ignorant consumer to continue to by a pretty ''Army overhaul'', and think that it will hold up to a true test of Aerodynamics. How often does CARF or BVM make the headlines of RCU on more then 1-4 forums, especially of coming apart in the air?

QUIT BUYING THE PRODUCT AND PRETTY PICTURE IN THE WINDOW!!

TRULY TIRED OF YOU, AS THE CONSUMER, MAKING THE WRONG MISTAKE TO BUY THE ''PRETTY PUPPY IN THE WINDOW''!!!!

Wow!! The Buyers' will not learn!! This is a matter of survival of the fittest, and the American way. You guys are fu*ked up to continue to buy this product and fly it!! UNLESS you have modified the airframe with CF and other stuctual strenghts.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:50 AM
tamjets
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: gunradd

ORIGINAL: tamjets

ORIGINAL: gunradd

ORIGINAL: FLY EAGLE JET

The F18 was shipped with directly drive on his model. If you want to change it to be mechanism system , you will need to change complete bulkhead former design. We do not recommend customer to change himself.
Now, if you need complete Stuff to repair and change, we can send stuffs to you by emailing us.
Thanks
How is your direct linkage system was done? You had a photos of it. I like to see is that done right.
Tam here are a few pics of what they use now. They use a shaft driven from the servo directly into the elevator. This will put an insane load onto the servo topcase and bearing. Its a total joke and will cause the servo to wear out very fast. To make matters worse the servo gets installed from the backside pushing it even further from the flight control it self putting an even greater load onto it.

Kris,
They got some right idea. But was wrong how it final install.
My 1/8 scale F-16 rudder had internal linkage system done that way. Very solid system. It will work for F-14. The servo arm need to had sliding pocket closet to the center of the servo at neutral positon. That give max holding power and almost zero slop play.

Look through page 16-23 how I had my rudder done. This is good mechanical set up for elevator too. Just need done with metal servo arm for bigger model.
Tam your system is all good and solid. You dont have the twisting force on the servo case. You pin slides on the servo horn itself. The flyeagle system is the opposite.

The flyeagle system has that pin installed on the servo. The sliding slot is on the elevator. This puts a twisting force on the servo top. Also servo is installed a little ways from the elevator making the pin even longer to reach inside.
I didn't know they done that way.
The pin be on the surface solid.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:50 AM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Tam this is exactly how I setup my f-14 and f-15, some people worry saying this will cause binding issues but I always check my setups with amp meter to make sure the servo has no binding and I never have. I think they says its a geometry issue or something, thanks for posting

Here what I see with this set up was wrong. If you had this lingkage set up. I bet on anything it will flutter. Regardless which manufactures making the jets.
If you don't want your plane to be next hot topic.
Get it done right.
At least this resolve one of the linkage flutter problem.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:57 AM
EDFJim

Thanks Tam
Old 05-24-2013, 10:10 AM
tamjets

ORIGINAL: FenderBean

Tam this is exactly how I setup my f-14 and f-15, some people worry saying this will cause binding issues but I always check my setups with amp meter to make sure the servo has no binding and I never have. I think they says its a geometry issue or something, thanks for posting

Here what I see with this set up was wrong. If you had this lingkage set up. I bet on anything it will flutter. Regardless which manufactures making the jets.
Get it done right.
Inflight it only need little moving on the flying stabs. Only landing the stabs need more travel to flare.
The hole idea had mechanical advantage is reduce sloppy play from the servo to the surface.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:29 AM
Grodus

First thing that caught my attention in the video was "2 Jet Central Rhinos" . I thought holy cow!, this thing is a monster so I went to FEJ's website to see just how big it is. Largest F18 I can find on their site is a 1/6 scale that recommends 45-51lbs of thrust. Is this the model that was equipped with 2 Rhinos?

Cody
Old 05-24-2013, 10:48 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Tam I think one of the reasons these guys have a problem is they feel the need to run "pull pull" (for lack of a batter term) pushrods.

With 2 pushrods you have to have the horns equal length.

I agree with you. I run the ATV way up and make sure I have just enough surface throw. Longest surface arm I can use and then get the correct surface throw by adjusting the servo arm.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:57 AM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not trying to start a fight here, but I have said this plenty of times. I personally only like scale jets, and I dont like any of those jets. If BVM had a 1/7 scale F-15, 1/6-1/5 scale F-16 any size scale F-14 and a large scale f-18 I would have tried to buy from bvm, so until someone here in the US starts producing something other than these listed we are stuck buying from overseas companies to get the jets we like.

And as for grounding the fleet, if you do this every time something fails, not a single jet out there will be allowed to fly. Pilot error is still the number 1 cause of crashes
ORIGINAL: ravill

ORIGINAL: Wap4life

I would love to buy BVM as soon as they make something other than a F4 to fly. Don't like the sports jets.
BVM makes EXACTLY 8 scale jets.

1. ''little'' F-86
2. ''Big'' f-86
3. t-33
4. f-80
5. Mig-15
6. F-4 Phantom
7. F-100D
8. F-100F

Not to mention all the scale jets Comp ARF or Skymaster makes with a steadfast reputation.

Take your pick and stop endangering our hobby.

I'm at the point of taking personal offense to YOUR (and everyone else who continues to fly FEJ) moronic, lackadaisical and ignorant approach to what has proved, over and over and over again, to be unsafe airframes. These flying paper mache ''jets'' will kill someone and take my beloved RC Jet hobby away from me. And yes, I will take it personally.

To the OP, great save! Time to take all the stuff out of that airplane and put it into a safe airplane. Lesson learned huh?!
Then buy Skymaster, buy Tomahawk, buy Scale-Jets, buy Aviation Design. You said you bought FEJ because it was less expensive. You get what you pay for. And before anyone throws that back at me, I bought the FEJ F-14 because it was the only one available, not because of price.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:58 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

ORIGINAL: RCFlyerDan

I want to know what Dumb***** has been ignorate enough to purchase a number of production or kit of the new G-V that they are putting on the market!! You guys' just aren't learning, and will buy FEJ's next latest and greatest jet.

So?????????? Who has bought one? And think that it will hold up? Beautiful desk model for an owner in his Office!!!
Old 05-24-2013, 11:01 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Well, the Wap said he would buy a jet from BVM if they made anything other than that "f-4". I showed him 7 other examples. Just keeping ourselves intellectually honest.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:21 AM
gjhinshaw
My Feedback: (303)

3 in one year out of hundreds sold. So we need to ask how many jets they sell in a year, correct?? How many other jets go in in a years time. Now, wouldn't that be interesting to know?? Doesn't matter how made/built it, but just how many go boom in a year........ Interesting
ORIGINAL: David Searles

ORIGINAL: gjhinshaw

Why say ''ALL'' FEJ to be grounded?? Do YOU know for a FACT that ALL are faulty????? If you say ''yes'' Please provide ALL documents!!
I, for one, have never made any statement regarding "all FEJ to be grounded". After seeing video and photo evidence of three HC constructed jets experiencing catastrophic flutter failure in flight within the last year, including one built by FEJ themselves, I believe there is valid cause for concern regarding the structural integrity of these aircraft as provided by FEJ.

David S
Old 05-24-2013, 11:25 AM
gjhinshaw

Why? Why do I have to have full travel?? This doesn't say anything of flutter, Just says you now have full travel..... Please explain....

Get it done right.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:30 AM
gjhinshaw

LOL..ROF..... easy there...... by your words YOU will endangering it and the ignorant one by your commit. You can't tell people what to fly and what not to! If you don't like it pack up and leave, that simple. Your commit is out of line and so are you!!

I would love to buy BVM as soon as they make something other than a F4 to fly. Don't like the sports jets.

1. "little" F-86
2. "Big" f-86
3. t-33
4. f-80
5. Mig-15
6. F-4 Phantom
7. F-100D
8. F-100F

Not to mention all the scale jets Comp ARF or Skymaster makes with a steadfast reputation.

I'm at the point of taking personal offense to YOUR (and everyone else who continues to fly FEJ) moronic, lackadaisical and ignorant approach to what has proved, over and over and over again, to be unsafe airframes. These flying paper mache "jets" will kill someone and take my beloved RC Jet hobby away from me. And yes, I will take it personally.

To the OP, great save! Time to take all the stuff out of that airplane and put it into a safe airplane. Lesson learned huh?!
Old 05-24-2013, 11:39 AM
tamjets

ORIGINAL: mr_matt

Tam I think one of the reasons these guys have a problem is they feel the need to run ''pull pull'' (for lack of a batter term) pushrods.

With 2 pushrods you have to have the horns equal length.

I agree with you. I run the ATV way up and make sure I have just enough surface throw. Longest surface arm I can use and then get the correct surface throw by adjusting the servo arm.
Single good push rod would be much easy to do than pull pull.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:39 AM
mr_matt

If anyone can post a picture of the F-18 stab taken like this one of the F-14 I can calculate the pivot location with respect to the MAC.

The LMA inspector for the AMA should have already done this if this plane went for LTMA certification.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36260.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	1884863  
Old 05-24-2013, 11:40 AM
Zagzoo
My Feedback: (28)

ORIGINAL: Grodus

First thing that caught my attention in the video was ''2 Jet Central Rhinos'' . I thought holy cow!, this thing is a monster so I went to FEJ's website to see just how big it is. Largest F18 I can find on their site is a 1/6 scale that recommends 45-51lbs of thrust. Is this the model that was equipped with 2 Rhinos?

Cody
This would need a LTMA? Inspected? 72lbs of thrust, what is the weight?
Old 05-24-2013, 11:46 AM
mr_matt

Single good push rod would be much easy to do than pull pull.
Agree 100%
Old 05-24-2013, 11:57 AM
Area51.5

Skymaster makes a 1/7 scale f15 and a 1/6 scale super hornet?
ORIGINAL: dubd

I am not trying to start a fight here, but I have said this plenty of times. I personally only like scale jets, and I dont like any of those jets. If BVM had a 1/7 scale F-15, 1/6-1/5 scale F-16 any size scale F-14 and a large scale f-18 I would have tried to buy from bvm, so until someone here in the US starts producing something other than these listed we are stuck buying from overseas companies to get the jets we like.

And as for grounding the fleet, if you do this every time something fails, not a single jet out there will be allowed to fly. Pilot error is still the number 1 cause of crashes

1. ''little'' F-86
2. ''Big'' f-86
3. t-33
4. f-80
5. Mig-15
6. F-4 Phantom
7. F-100D
8. F-100F

I'm at the point of taking personal offense to YOUR (and everyone else who continues to fly FEJ) moronic, lackadaisical and ignorant approach to what has proved, over and over and over again, to be unsafe airframes. These flying paper mache ''jets'' will kill someone and take my beloved RC Jet hobby away from me. And yes, I will take it personally.

Then buy Skymaster, buy Tomahawk, buy Scale-Jets, buy Aviation Design. You said you bought FEJ because it was less expensive. You get what you pay for. And before anyone throws that back at me, I bought the FEJ F-14 because it was the only one available, not because of price.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:03 PM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Largest F18 I can find on their site is a 1/6 scale that recommends 45-51lbs of thrust. Is this the model that was equipped with 2 Rhinos?
With fuel these things are running 80 to 90 pounds
Old 05-24-2013, 12:04 PM
rcand

so why are people still buying Fly Eagle Junk
Old 05-24-2013, 12:10 PM
David Searles
My Feedback: (49)

3 in one year out of hundreds sold. So we need to ask how many jets they sell in a year, correct?? How many other jets go in in a years time. Now, wouldn't that be interesting to know?? Doesn't matter how made/built it, but just how many go boom in a year........ Interesting
ORIGINAL: David Searles

Why say ''ALL'' FEJ to be grounded?? Do YOU know for a FACT that ALL are faulty????? If you say ''yes'' Please provide ALL documents!!
I, for one, have never made any statement regarding ''all FEJ to be grounded''. After seeing video and photo evidence of three HC constructed jets experiencing catastrophic flutter failure in flight within the last year, including one built by FEJ themselves, I believe there is valid cause for concern regarding the structural integrity of these aircraft as provided by FEJ.

David S
No, Gary, we don't need to ask how many they sell in a year. It really doesn't matter. What matters is how many have "gone in" for the same apparent reason, which suggests there may be a consistent structural problem which might occur in other of their jets. Each of the three jets mentioned had the same central theme resulting in their crash. Flutter. Structural integrity. HoneyComb construction.

FAA groundings, or mfg recalls are not made because they "know" every other aircraft or product has the same problem. In many cases it is simply because evidence has been shown they there "MAY" be problems, and therefore need to be checked before future use. When human lives are at stake it is always better to be safe than sorry. Just because there is not a human pilot in our jets does not relieve us of the responsibility to protect life and limb.

Since you brought it up, exactly how many jets of these type would you need to see flutter and "go in" before you thought "wait a minute, there may be a problem here?" Maybe we should do something?

Smoldering batteries on two 787s, prompted authorities to ground the planes in January. Approx 100 had been delivered.

David S
Old 05-24-2013, 12:13 PM
smaze17
My Feedback: (60)

ORIGINAL: LGM Graphix

ORIGINAL: FLY EAGLE JET

Now, if you need complete Stuff to repair and change, we can send stuffs to you by emailing us.
Thanks

These are the statements that drive me nuts......... If you need complete stuff to repair and change.......... is that not a backhanded admission that there is a problem but it's up to the customer to fix it IF they ask for new parts? I don't get it, why is it acceptable for an airframe to need fixes to be safe, why are they not safe right from the start?
That right there is the F-18,000,000 question

S
Old 05-24-2013, 12:17 PM
Wap4life
My Feedback: (3)

1. "little" F-86
2. "Big" f-86
3. t-33
4. f-80
5. Mig-15
6. F-4 Phantom
7. F-100D
8. F-100F

I'm at the point of taking personal offense to YOUR (and everyone else who continues to fly FEJ) moronic, lackadaisical and ignorant approach to what has proved, over and over and over again, to be unsafe airframes. These flying paper mache "jets" will kill someone and take my beloved RC Jet hobby away from me. And yes, I will take it personally.

Ravill- since you at the point of taking "prsonal offense" with my FEJ jets and you concern with safety. Pay me the cost of my f-14 and Mig 29 and the f-15 and i will shipped them to you to do with ever you like with those jets and i will happly resplaced them with skymaster or whatever.

Let me correct my bvm statement about jets. When they start making, f-16, mig 29, tomcat and f-18 or a-10 then i will gladely buy one.

Once again the people constantly breaking the weight rules and speed rules will also take my beloved rc jet hbby away from me. I also take it personal.

Are51- We were talking about BVM. Is BVM and Skymaster the same company?

Old 05-24-2013, 12:27 PM
gjhinshaw

I don't see grounding ALL of there jets as some people say to do, Just the ones that are coming apart. To ground a whole factory is not likely but those jets that are having the issues. Do you think its the bigger models? They are making them TO LIGHT? I think they are to light and this is causing them the issues. To me they need to be built like a IMAC plane, on the heavy side with more ply and sorts. Lighter isn't always better!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.