Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Another new blog article: Fligth controls geometry pt1

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Another new blog article: Fligth controls geometry pt1

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 01:25 AM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Another new blog article: Fligth controls geometry pt1

Hello everyone.
I wanted to post this article before I publish part 2 of the all-flying stabilizer article. This is mostly because part 2 will refer to Control Calc a lot.
So here is an introduction to Control Calc and flight controls geometry design.

http://www.ultimate-jets.net/blogs/f...eometry-part-1

As always, all questions/ comments are welcome.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:40 AM
tamjets
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Another new blog article: Fligth controls geometry pt1

ORIGINAL: olnico

Hello everyone.
I wanted to post this article before I publish part 2 of the all-flying stabilizer article. This is mostly because part 2 will refer to Control Calc a lot.

Great work... Love it. Our RC Jets community needed.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:42 AM
olnico

ORIGINAL: tamjets

Hello everyone.

Thanks Tam. I love your work as well ;-)
Old 05-25-2013, 02:45 AM
tamjets
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: tamjets

Hello everyone.

Thanks Tam. I love your work as well ;-)
Thanks.... Hope we can request this thread to be sticky. Good education for everyone.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:35 AM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Once again, REALLY good information and well presented Oli.
Enjoying this hobby can be a financial stretch for a lot of us and knowing this sort of behind-the-scenes engineering does take place with some manuafactures should add to the confidence of the owner, and become a serious consideration in an investment decision. For those that don't then the information is clearly available (ie. in your posted work or elsewhere) so there is no excuse for ignoring it.

I'm sure you will get a lot of questions on other design elements as you continue to develop this resource base. Perhaps creating a summary page that the articles can link too would be helpful as the database grows. Maybe even a "frequently asked questions" page, as well as a 'new owners checklist'. Something someone can use to check the integrity and design of their new (or used) airframe when they get it. Just some random thoughts/suggestions.

On a future topic idea, as a builder I've always been curious about trailing edge geometry. Some like squared off TE's and others like razor sharp TE's. why? Does it matter what the surface is and if it moves, etc? Anyway, make that topic a low priority, this geometry and flight control subject matter has an immediate need in jet production these days. As does modern material selection and proper useage.

Great stuff!
Old 05-25-2013, 07:27 AM
olnico

ORIGINAL: smchale

Once again, REALLY good information and well presented Oli.
Enjoying this hobby can be a financial stretch for a lot of us and knowing this sort of behind-the-scenes engineering does take place with some manuafactures should add to the confidence of the owner, and become a serious consideration in an investment decision. For those that don't then the information is clearly available (ie. in your posted work or elsewhere) so there is no excuse for ignoring it.

I'm sure you will get a lot of questions on other design elements as you continue to develop this resource base. Perhaps creating a summary page that the articles can link too would be helpful as the database grows. Maybe even a ''frequently asked questions'' page, as well as a 'new owners checklist'. Something someone can use to check the integrity and design of their new (or used) airframe when they get it. Just some random thoughts/suggestions.

On a future topic idea, as a builder I've always been curious about trailing edge geometry. Some like squared off TE's and others like razor sharp TE's. why? Does it matter what the surface is and if it moves, etc? Anyway, make that topic a low priority, this geometry and flight control subject matter has an immediate need in jet production these days. As does modern material selection and proper useage.

Great stuff!
Thanks Sean. You brought some nice idea. I'll to wait for making a FAQ page. Not enough questions at this stage!
I already have a summary page for myself, so publishing it is easy. But where?
The new owners checklist is also a great idea. This concept should be developed. I can make a 6 page long list about points to check. But who's got a borescope and access to an Xray machine?
The critical glue joints are almost always hidden...