Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New blog article: jet engine efflux protection for your electrical cables.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New blog article: jet engine efflux protection for your electrical cables.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 05:52 AM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default New blog article: jet engine efflux protection for your electrical cables.

I have just finished a blog on how to protect your electrical system for the heat generated by the engine and a possible catastrophic exhaust pipe failure.

http://www.ultimate-jets.net/blogs/j...haust-and-heat
Old 06-30-2013, 09:28 AM
Turbotronic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: New blog article: jet engine efflux protection for your electrical cables.

Nice, I like the kevlar shield hose idea. I agree a hot gas leak plume may be quite destructive.
The silicon wire puzzles me since all types of silicon I have used have a very poor resistance to kerosene, sort of goes snotty and swells up getting very soft?
Have never tried the servo silicon, no experience there.
Just built an e32 plane with silicon wires on the ESC and it exposed wire just about right away after getting nicked on a sharp edge. This was on an e-flight ESC.
Ptfe wire seems like a good idea but rather inflexible if I remember correctly.
Some readily available high temp servo wire with kero resistance could be a good seller....
BRG
Andre
Old 07-01-2013, 08:33 AM
olnico

Default RE: New blog article: jet engine efflux protection for your electrical cables.

Andre, our silicon servo wire have a resistance time to kerosene of 20 minutes. After that, they start swelling up as you said. In practice they hold quite well in the plane as long as you wipe off an internal fuel leak. In any case that should always be done to avoid damaging internal components and risks of fire.
The PTFE cables are virtually un-sensitive to kerosene and quite flexible in 22 AWG, as well as much lighter than silicon HD cables. So, perfect choice for people looking for total resistance to kerosene. However they are twice the price of the silicon servo cables.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:48 AM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the informative article. What is the safe temperature for a wiring loom to get to with regular servo wire? Is shielding it with heat blanket and foil adequate if you aren't worried about direct flame?
Old 07-01-2013, 10:32 AM
olnico

ORIGINAL: DrScoles

Thanks for the informative article. What is the safe temperature for a wiring loom to get to with regular servo wire? Is shielding it with heat blanket and foil adequate if you aren't worried about direct flame?
Well, there is no such thing as regular servo wire. It all depends of the wire gauge and type of insulation. You need to make a test with the servo wire you intend to use. Shielding with separate material can be adequate, but bare in mind that shielding is always as good as the weakest spot. If one zone is not properly covered, then shielding is useless. That's why I recommend using heat sleeves. The time you'll save wrapping around the cable and having a 100% heat and chemical proof shielding will largely make the price increase.
Have a look at this video:
[link=http://vimeo.com/69404938]Wrap around MIL spec sleeve demonstration.[/link]
Old 07-01-2013, 10:54 PM
Turbotronic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanx,
The Ptfe wire is interesting. Do you plan on maybe selling "starter kits" for doing the average jet? Another reason for high temp wire could also be to prevent fatal shorts in cabling where an overcurrent condition would soften/melt PVC. Seen this happen a few times.
Andre
Old 07-02-2013, 02:13 PM
Ozmodeller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: olnico

I have just finished a blog on how to protect your electrical system for the heat generated by the engine and a possible catastrophic exhaust pipe failure.

Thanks for the informative article.

On my FB T33 I acquired some nomex sheathing that is used in full size aviation wiring looms and have used that for the servo leads from the rear, the concern I have is the visible portion of the servo leads where they connect to the extensions, what do you think would be the best way to protect that area or would it not be an issue, I had thought of using some aluminium (aluminum to you guys) adhesive tape burnished over the area, thoughts?

Regards
Peter
Old 07-03-2013, 04:07 AM
olnico

ORIGINAL: Ozmodeller

ORIGINAL: olnico

Thanks for the informative article.

On my FB T33 I acquired some nomex sheathing that is used in full size aviation wiring looms and have used that for the servo leads from the rear, the concern I have is the visible portion of the servo leads where they connect to the extensions, what do you think would be the best way to protect that area or would it not be an issue, I had thought of using some aluminium (aluminum to you guys) adhesive tape burnished over the area, thoughts?

Regards
Peter
Thanks for the kind words oz.
It all depends if the servo connection is susceptible to get exposed to some kind of heat, and to what extend.
If this is the case, the wrap-around sleeve is pervfect since you can still access the servo plug easily...