Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Is there any decent spry paints?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Is there any decent spry paints?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 05:52 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are there any decent spray paints? (Rattle Can)

Hi Guys,

Here's the deal....

I've got a hot spot that I've I received in a trade, but it needs a little love. The original engine threw a turbine wheel, and it scorched the tails. Then... the resulting landing, was less than perfect. Needless to say... it needs a little bodywork, and some paint.

Normally... I would strip it down... and do a proper paint job on it... but I've decided that I would like to set it up with a thrust tube, to play with a little 3D flying. Because of that... I don't want to spend a lot of time and effort with a nice paint job.

I know that I can get cans charged with automotive paint... and there are some 2-part cans out there... but I'm not really looking for that either.

So... have any of you guys found paint in a rattle can, that is OK. (Good coverage, goes on smooth) In years past I've tried Krylon... and it doesn't cover worth a dam. I was thinking about using Duplicolor from the auto parts store.

Let me know.

Just an FYI... If I don't kill it next flying season... I'll give it a real paint job next winter.

Last edited by Dr Honda; 10-11-2013 at 05:57 AM.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:41 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

The little spray paint cans from model masters works great and they have allot of colors and it goes on smooth and thin yet covers pretty well.
A pic of my old F16 I used model masters spray bomb on.

Last edited by gunradd; 10-11-2013 at 06:46 AM.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:48 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Recently I used a Rustoleum rattle-can to paint the spinner on my H9 Composite Yak54. I picked it up strictly because the cap on the can looked like a good match for the blue used on the plane. It actually sprayed very nicely and went on nice and smooth. It looks good and has held up very well so far. The biggest thing I've found with many of these paints is that you can't re-coat them after they have dried for more than like an hour unless you wait a very long time (1 week +). One of the paints I tried, while it was easy to apply, I tried to add a second color 24 hours later and the base coat wrinkled like I had used paint stripper on it. The second color was even the exact same product, just a different color.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:11 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

I second the Rustoleum recommendation. I have painted more than one airplane with that - including a couple of jets. For rattle can paint, its one of the easiest to use to get decent results.

By the way, I have taken to the practice of flying new jets in primer with some color flash on them, and then, after the kinks are worked out, doing the full finish ( or at least a full finish for my standards). For me, this has turned out to be the way to go - get the scuffs and scrapes of test flights, moving ballast, landing gear issues, etc. out of the way (and have some fun with the airplane) before investing the (considerable, for me) time and effort on the finish...

Bob

Last edited by rhklenke; 10-11-2013 at 07:15 AM.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:33 AM
dbsonic
My Feedback: (3)

Duplicolor has a bunch of acrylic lacquers. Be careful using these with anything else. If you use lacquers stay with lacquers and dont mix with acryllic urethanes.
I like the idea of Testors/model masters enamels. Although I am not sure what clear to use with those.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:35 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

I'd love to help you, but the RCU search feature sucks, after 40 minutes of trying I give up. All rattle cans work decently (even the cheapies) if you follow some specific rules and methods, I did a full write up of spraying with rattle cans, but do you think I can find it? God forbid we have a decent search function...... If I have time tonight I'll hit on the highlights of it.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:24 AM
Dr Honda

Thanks for chiming in guys. I've used Rustolium for random things in the garage, and It's always worked better than Krylon for me. I guess I'll just use that. I really wish that they still sold epoxy paints in spray cans still. The old Coverite paints were GREAT !!!!

LGM: While searching for info on the Lusterkote paints (and finding that guys didn't like it) I found an old thread of yours about using rattle cans. (From around 2005) I saw that you recommend warming them in a water bath, and do the normal surface prep. Also... I saw where you said to stop using the paint before it gets down to far in the can, to get even solids.

Here's the jet now...

I'm thinking about painting the belly white, and Re-painting the nose black. That would take care of the fuse. Then... possibly just painting the wings and tails white... and putting on vinyl graphics for color. (I have a vinyl cutter in the shop) That way, I don't have to mess around with buying a bunch of different colors of paint, and masking things off. (trying to keep it as simple as possible)

If you guys have any other suggestions... just yell.

Last edited by Dr Honda; 10-11-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:42 AM
flyaway
My Feedback: (2)

Tony
try rustoleum professional, Rich painted a jet with this stuff and a week later he buffed it out and it looked great

cliff
Old 10-11-2013, 12:37 PM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Hey Cliff that was a few years ago, I can't remember which model it was
Old 10-11-2013, 12:56 PM
rc4flying
My Feedback: (21)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I will usually go to the local auto paint shop that can mix paint. They canmix your choice of color and then put the paint into spray cans. I have gotten some great results.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:52 AM
dbsonic

I might be willing to give Rustoleum Professional a shot. What clears have people used on the lighter colors that work? Especially if the enamel takes forever to flash. I'm not interested in the amber colored polyurethanes like varathane. Need something crystal clear but would like to avoid the 2k stuff. Not happy with Jammin Clear as it turns out.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:07 AM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Duplicolor Acrylics . their filler and sealer primers are also pretty good.

Voy
Old 10-24-2013, 10:11 AM
RCISFUN

Just curious are you talking about a clear coat over Rustoleum Professional?
Is so why?
The colors go on shinny and if you don't like the texture (orange peel) you can wet sand and buff after a week or so...
Old 10-24-2013, 10:13 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The best advice I can give you is I love model masters

but the best tip I have gotten is when you are ready for a nice smooth paint finish, take your rattle cans and run them under very hot water for a few mins, shake a little more hot water, then shake and go.

It increase the presure in the can, and also helps the paint to lay flater and smother.

Sweet shop Im still drooling.

Mike
Old 10-24-2013, 10:14 AM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

+1 on the hot water thing ..

V
Old 10-24-2013, 10:35 AM
dbsonic

Fair point but I guess I would have to try and see first hand. The clear gives a certain depth and richness I've always felt. But can be a pain in the arse.
Generally I get a lot of orange peel with rattle cans so will try the hot water trick and see if it works and buff out.
I am going to shoot over a white Transtar urethane primer which is good stuff.

Originally Posted by RCISFUN
Just curious are you talking about a clear coat over Rustoleum Professional?
Is so why?
The colors go on shinny and if you don't like the texture (orange peel) you can wet sand and buff after a week or so...
Old 10-24-2013, 11:46 AM
sskianpour
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LGM Graphix
I'd love to help you, but the RCU search feature sucks, after 40 minutes of trying I give up. All rattle cans work decently (even the cheapies) if you follow some specific rules and methods, I did a full write up of spraying with rattle cans, but do you think I can find it? God forbid we have a decent search function...... If I have time tonight I'll hit on the highlights of it.
Jeremy I couldn't agree with you more, the RCU search function has become extinct. 10-15 years of expert Jet advice from all the best in the industry all up in smoke because the company Internet Brands blows. Anyways, perhaps you can find the Thread you started under "My Subscriptions". I would imagine you are subscribed to the thread. That is the only way I am finding old threads of interest, by remembering who wrote in them and then looking up their history of posts or by hoping I commented in the thread and looking it up under My Subscriptions.

Shaz
Old 10-24-2013, 11:56 AM
dbsonic

I gave up too. They wont let you search for something as simple as "CG"
What I do now is just use Google and search on something like this:

spray paint tutorial site:www.rcuniverse.com rc-jets-120
CG site:www.rcuniverse.com rc-jets-120

Last edited by dbsonic; 10-24-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:03 PM
RCISFUN

Originally Posted by dbsonic
Fair point but I guess I would have to try and see first hand. The clear gives a certain depth and richness I've always felt. But can be a pain in the arse.
Generally I get a lot of orange peel with rattle cans so will try the hot water trick and see if it works and buff out.
I am going to shoot over a white Transtar urethane primer which is good stuff.
I found the photos from the rattle can paint job, it was my Formost 150

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kd88954.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	1932661   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41478.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	1932662  
Old 10-24-2013, 01:27 PM
gsoav8r
My Feedback: (6)

Originally Posted by LGM Graphix
Is this maybe the writeup you were referring to?
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...mpleted-2.html
Old 10-24-2013, 01:36 PM
Red Raider
My Feedback: (86)

There is an epoxy spray paint. It's a 2 part paint that mixes in the can. There's a small container inside the larger one that you activate by pressing a release valve in the bottom of the can. The name of the paint is Spraymax. It's an automotive grade paint that can be matched to any car color code or paint chip. I use it a lot, especially the clear. It's very robust, the colors are intense and it's fuel proof. BUT, not cheap. You can get it at 66Autocolor.com.
RedRaider
Old 10-24-2013, 02:23 PM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Neither Krylon, Duplicolor, nor Model Master are fuelproof. Your best bet is Rustroleum solid colors. Metallic Rustoleum colors aren't fuel proof either. Set the can in a pan of hot water and shake well before spraying. There is no need to clear coat.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:37 PM
Dr Honda

Rich... That looks great for a rattle can. Besides... you know me... the "Low-Buck" jet flyer. (Lol)

I actually bought some of the Rustolium Pro a couple weeks ago... but I got sick, then the weather turned cold. Hopefully, I'll get a few 60 degree days next week to clean-up the Hot spot.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:05 PM
gearhead67

Just a simple question about the paints that are being used. I didn't see anything mentioned about them, and how they hold up to fuel? Will they hold up to Nitromethane, and gasoline fuels?
Old 10-24-2013, 04:12 PM
Dr Honda

Originally Posted by gearhead67
Just a simple question about the paints that are being used. I didn't see anything mentioned about them, and how they hold up to fuel? Will they hold up to Nitromethane, and gasoline fuels?

We burn Kero/Diesel/Jet-A... so it's not a concern. BUT... generally... no on high nitro. You will need a true epoxy clear to protect them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.