Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Electric retract routine maintenance ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Electric retract routine maintenance ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 01:16 PM
sc0tt
My Feedback: (61)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Electric retract routine maintenance ?

For those with a high amount of flight cycles on your electric retracts, are you performing routine maintenance like cleaning and lubing the jack screw on a regular basis?

Various manufactures refer to regular maintenance and it seems higher than with air. Electron for example says "It is recommended to clean and lubricate the spindle every 5-10 days of flight, or more often if you fly on a dirt runway." Access to accomplish this can be a hassle depending on installation and may require retract removal for proper maintenance.

I still keep going back & forth on using electrics. After years flying jets off grass my air systems have not had any issues and basically no maintenance. Still trying to justify the switch for me.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:24 PM
DominicM

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I have an occasional look at my LADOs and give the jack a wipe and squirt with Teflon cycle chain lubricant.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:57 PM
number27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Electron retracts on two models faultless. wipe over occasionally with cotton bud. Fly off grass. Nothing else to fly off although at present its dirt.

From Electron manual
Electron retracts has designed very compact systems for need a low maintenance. The spindle system are made in auto lubricate materials, and all “delicate” parts are very protected by the high strength 7075 aluminium black main body.
Is advisable keep the spindle clean and lubricated, specially if your plane flies on unpaved runways.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:10 AM
mario tavarez14
My Feedback: (37)

I used down and locked and I have all the problems with this system at the point that I have to come back to air again, I change the little motor in my system 7 time and 3 controlled , for me I am done with this freaking system , I ever never have problem with air before with my other jet
Old 10-20-2013, 07:29 AM
757Driver
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Down n locked in 5 jets. Love them. Only occasionally lube threads.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:35 AM
mario tavarez14
My Feedback: (37)

Locky you no me with this system
Old 10-20-2013, 08:35 AM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

my last jet had down and locked they worked pretty good. The gear itself was the problem but I eventually got it figured out. My other two jets have them as well, the only thing I do is every so often clean the screw drives and add a good lubrication that doesn't attract dust.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:40 PM
scoeroo
My Feedback: (9)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Dry lube such as a grafite pencil rubbed on the threaded section works wonders,
It doesnt attract dust and is super fine to get up into the threads in the trunion,
I used grafite back in my skate boading days with very good results.