Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Best way to mount servos in really tight spaces Opus / Kolibri

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Best way to mount servos in really tight spaces Opus / Kolibri

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 12:49 AM
Xantos

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Best way to mount servos in really tight spaces Opus / Kolibri

I'm building my 3rd Opus Glider and wondering if there's a better way to mount mini servos in a really thin wing without having to glue it in.
Im using Futaba S3150 Mini servos in the wing and there just isn't any place .
In the past I've used RTV sealant on one occasion and aeropoxy in another airframe to glue the servo in.
Servos are glued on the side directly on the wing skin , this obviously has limitations i.e you can't get at the servo arm if you need a adjustment and in case you burnout a servo its difficult to get out .
Just wondering if anybody is doing it differently
Old 11-28-2013, 12:53 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

There are mounts for some servos, depends on hatch size. Best thing is to wrap the servo either in tape, or heat shrink it, rough up and glue that. You cust the tape/heatshrink to release the servo. Its easy to clean up and re install.
Use Hysol on either.
Old 11-28-2013, 01:05 AM
marc s

MKS servos are superb, thin with side lugs and a range of special wooden or ali frames which allow them to be mounting in tight spaces too - check out:

http://www.t9hobbysport.com/mks-ds6125mini-wing-servo

http://www.t9hobbysport.com/frames-for-mks-6125-servo

marcs
Old 11-28-2013, 02:14 AM
mitchilito
My Feedback: (7)

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

The absolute simplest, thinnest way is to glue the servos to the servo well hatch (perhaps using the above mentioned method). That way they can be removed to work on the horns etc. You can even use matching tape to hold the hatches on for the ultimate in streamlining simplicity.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:31 AM
marc s

Using the MKS wooden mounts glued to the servo hatch you achieve this without having to glue the servo to anything

marcs
Old 11-28-2013, 03:51 AM
Xantos

Wow,
Thanks for all the ideas !
I had some MKS 6125s & I tried the side mounts but the wooden frames are bigger than the servo pocket , and will be a squeeze to get the servo in.
The servo hatch covers are too flimsy on the Opus to mount a servo so not an option.
DW the Heatshrink and Hysol seem to be the best option - Just wondering how well hysol adheres to heatshrink ?
Old 11-28-2013, 04:43 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

I flat it down with 400grit paper to remove shine, wipe with thinners and stick...it won't come off!

I prefer mounts, many hatches are not large enough or are basically two layers of cloth. I have several moulded gliders which are 10 years old with the same method and still solid.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:33 AM
Jgwright

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use 2 layers of masking tape for servos where there is not enough space in the hatch. I use both epoxy and Hysol and both stick to it well. Recently I used the same method to secure lead in the nose of a plane where I knew I would need to change it. It was then a matter of cutting the masking tape and levering the lead out. It was surprising how well the masking tape held up. I got this method from Colin Straus.

John