Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Another lithium polymer fire

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Another lithium polymer fire

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 10:52 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bigfoot3387
thats a good ? sell phones and laptops as well
I have heard of cell phone and laptop battery fires but their battery are not as large of capacity nor the amps of our hobby batteries so generally there is less damage from their fires.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:12 AM
N410DC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ira d
I have heard of cell phone and laptop battery fires but their battery are not as large of capacity nor the amps of our hobby batteries so generally there is less damage from their fires.
True; I think this makes a difference.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:09 AM
bchapman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ira d
I believe that Lithium Ion batteries, commonly used in cell phones are not the same as Lithium Polymer batteries that we use in our hobby. They are two different battery types and their chemistry is not entirely the same. Lithium Ion does have a greater energy density than Lithium Polymer, but doesn't pose an equal risk of fire as the latter.

This is my understanding, but I'm not an expert in the field, so there may be other issues I may be overlooking

Last edited by bchapman; 05-02-2014 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:28 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bchapman
I believe that Lithium Ion batteries, commonly used in cell phones are not the same as Lithium Polymer batteries that we use in our hobby. They are two different battery types and their chemistry is not entirely the same. Lithium Ion does have a greater energy density than Lithium Polymer, but doesn't pose an equal risk of fire as the latter.

This is my understanding, but I'm not an expert in the field, so there may be other issues I may be overlooking
You may be right but, I have heard of quite a few fires especially cell phones.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:46 PM
geeter
My Feedback: (110)

these things scare me............i'm sticking with nitro.....BRO
Old 05-27-2014, 09:02 AM
hmjets

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One more spontanyou lipo fire..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF9fhlr9S5s
Old 05-27-2014, 09:24 AM
N410DC

Originally Posted by hmjets
One more spontanyou lipo fire..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF9fhlr9S5s
Lesson learned: if a customer bring in a defective battery and/or drone, put the battery in a fireproof container, in case it was damaged.

I am glad no one was hurt, and that there were people in the building when it happened. If not, the building may have burned down.