Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

First Impression of new I gyro 3E ( Flying )

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

First Impression of new I gyro 3E ( Flying )

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 01:59 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

Rate mode will correct an unwanted action and return to neutral. Heading hold will hold a correction.

So, roll over and your plane wants to nose towards the ground, rate mode will let it eventually end up nose down. Wind gusts won't bother it but it will eventually do what the plane wants to do.

Heading hold, roll over, establish your line and let go of the stick and it will maintain that attitude dead level till you tell it to do something else.

Think of a weather vane. In a cross wind in rate mode there will be a series of correction to stop the movement, return to neutral, the movement resumes, the gyro corrects, and then returns to neutral. This will happen over and over though it will look like one long slow movement, eventually the weather vane will point into the wind.

Heading hold will add more rudder and keep it put, if the wind decreases it will use less rudder etc but it wont move till you tell it to move.

(sorry, I'm not Ali but I hope that answers your question)
Old 05-31-2015, 07:13 PM
essyou35

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I flew my gyro a few times today. I need to send some feedback to powerbox:
1) LABEL BOTH side of the gyro, I know after you get used to it you know where to plug things in but its a major headache for a new user. The servo side is not labeled.
2) Why cant I reverse the gyro action with the $35 programmer? I still have to resort to pushing buttons on the gyro.

I had a 10-15mph straight cross wind and I haven't flown for 6 months, the gryo was kicking the rudder for me and it came in straight like an arrow. I didn't try heading hold yet I am worried about that. I like to drop my nose in a turn and I think the HH would try to keep it from dropping with the rudder.

The only odd thing I noticed is that on a medium speed low pass it has a very fast oscilliation or twitch. Normally it would be rocking from the wind. It was a pretty fast twitch, do I need to adjust the refresh rate or something? It really fast and not a lot of movement but something I notice is new.
Old 06-01-2015, 04:12 AM
BarracudaHockey

Fast oscillation means the gain is too high.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:03 AM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The "fast twitch" or "oscillation" has been covered many times in the thread and is also in the basic instructions. Just as important as the immediate recognition of it is the immediate and graceful recovery of this sort of situation (hint, fumbling for a switch or taking eyes off model is not the way). Good inspection post flight too for loose hinges or attachment points would be in order. Then get the gains sorted.

Last edited by Eddie P; 06-01-2015 at 07:12 AM.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:17 AM
essyou35

Hmm,ok. I saw an oscillation when the gain was to high. It was bigger swaying motions. I didn't recognize this twitch as oscillation. What sucks is I barely have any Gain set. Is it common to be turning the gyro of and on during flight? The small gain was perfect for landing but not so good then for a 1/2 throttle pass. I'll find out the exact gain but it is under 20 percent.

Last edited by essyou35; 06-01-2015 at 07:25 AM.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:20 AM
BarracudaHockey

Question for you, I'm assuming since you saw that article on the Power Box site you didn't read those jet articles it referenced in Fly RC?
Old 06-01-2015, 07:24 AM
essyou35

I didn't read an article... I'll look back through. I assume this article had the information about the small oscillations destroying a jet? I want to read that part because that is interesting if it's that easy because I'm pretty observant of my jet and many people would not notice the twitch I am referring to.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:30 AM
BarracudaHockey

Well here's the abridged version.

There's two kinds of gain. Mechanical and electronic.

Increase the mechanical (size of control surface, amount of throw, or speed of the control surface through the air) and you have to decrease the electronic gain (how much the servo moves in relation to a given change of gyro position)
Old 06-01-2015, 07:38 AM
essyou35

The reason I'm offended by acting like I am destroying my jet i because the only way I noticed, the twitch is when I did a 1/2 throttle pass 4 feet up. If I didn't do that I would probably never notice it and others would not, and we'd have jets crashing all over. I did miss eddies post I couple pages back and I see now switching gains during flight is common. For me out may be switching off and on.

I have a jet legend viper.

While I did read instructions, I am curious if my issue may be with the refresh rate.

Thanks for ask the information. I dying blame the gyro for anything... my viper is way overpowered and tail heavy do little gain may make sense and I may just use the gyro for landing.

Last edited by essyou35; 06-01-2015 at 07:44 AM.
Old 06-01-2015, 12:31 PM
bri6672
My Feedback: (6)

I thought I would pop in with my assesment.

I just received my 3e on Sat and had in installed in about 5-10 min! I decided to start with my Habu32 which has a Jetfan 80 in it on 6s 5800. It is about a pound heavier than a stock habu32, better low end power/veritical and is about 130-135mph top speed (doppler). I followed the setup per the Fly RC article form Mr. fishhockey . The article is spot on and in 4 flights I was totally happy! So happy I ordered another one from Chief Aircraft this morning who has them on sale for $199. I have the USB adapter on the way but I did not need it for the Habu.

So I put the gain on the slider per the article with center point at 0 and all the way up is 100% rate mode and all the way down is 100% head lock. I started with rate mode which took 2 flights to perfect. The only mistake I made was to set the gain during 3/4 throttle passes which was at 64% it flew amazing BUT then I made a highspeed pass and there was the violent oscilation. I immediatly went to zero throttle and pulled straight up to bleed the speed and problem solved! I started dialing the gain back and settled at 40% which even with a full throttle down wind pass out of a big split S did not show any signs of oscilation. I was so impressed with the rate mode that I just spent time having fun with it for the second half of flight number two.

Flight number 3 and I tackeled the Headlock mode. It went very smooth and didnt show any bad signs. I ended up at 32% gain that stays solid even at full throttle.

Flight number 4 was with all the gains transfered to a 3 position switch and then go put it thru its paces!!!

So here is what i have taken from the one day and 4 flights with the 3e:

Rate mode produces that locked in feeling the everyone talks about! At 40% its good but better at 64% thou that will not allow for full throttle passes.. The first thing I really noticed was the slow rolls, it was ridiculous how much easier it is to do a nice super long slow roll with the gyro in rate mode and I was addicted to them In rate mode I did notice that I was able to fly with more travel. I normally use flightmodes with the habu (more throw for take off and landing, less throw for high speed acrobatic flight) with out the gyro the habu is pretty touchy at high speed with my take off and landing settings (plus I have a very aft CG) but with the rate mode it really softened it up and in a nice way! both flight modes worked well but on landing I want the extra travel on the elevator and with the 3e I dont need to flip a switch between rates anymore and will just fly with the more throw all the time!

Head lock mode, or what I like to call knife edge mode Headlock did not show any bad tendancies at all and did not require any changing to my current flying style. The slow rolls were almost as nice as in rate mode but not any improvment. Now Knife edge is where it shines, the habu despite being balanced pretty far aft, does require alot of rudder to try and hold knife edge for a decent length. I normally have to add oposite aileron to overcome the roll that alot of rudder creates BUT in headlock mode there was zero roll despite full rudder defliction. This is just one less control input needed to create a nice solid knife edge pass! The elevator also kept it tracking straight down the line!!! I did the entire 3rd flight in head lock mode including landing and again ZERO bad tendancies! My only complaint is that only the Ailerons and Elevator use the headlock feature while the rudder remains in rate mode... I hope we see a software update to add the rudder into the headlock mode in the future..

So thats my expierence, I think the only other thing I didnt like was that there is only 1 rudder output, I would like to have had a second one for the nose wheel that could be set up independantly for some of the models that have tricky ground handling.

Last edited by bri6672; 06-01-2015 at 09:07 PM.
Old 06-01-2015, 03:15 PM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bri6672
I thought I would pop in with my assesment.

I just received my 3e on Sat and had in installed in about 5-10 min! I decided to start with my Habu32 which has a Jetfan 80 in it on 6s 5800. It is about a pound heavier than a stock habu32, better low end power/veritical and is about 130-135mph top speed (doppler). I followed the setup per the Fly RC article form my fishhockey . The article is spot on and in 4 flights I was totally happy! So happy I ordered another one from Chief Aircraft this morning who has them on sale for $199. I have the USB adapter on the way but I did not need it for the Habu.

So I put the gain on the slider per the article with center point at 0 and all the way up is 100% rate mode and all the way down is 100% head lock. I started with rate mode which took 2 flights to perfect. The only mistake I made was to set the gain during 3/4 throttle passes which was at 64% it flew amazing BUT then I made a highspeed pass and there wass the violent oscilation. I immediatly went to zero throttle and pulled straight up to bleed the speed and problem solved! I started dialing the gain back and settled at 40% which even with a full throttle down wind pass out of a big split S did not show any signs of oscilation. I was so impressed with the rate mode that I just spent time having fun with it for the second half of flight number two.

Flight number 3 and I tackeled the Headlock mode. I went very smooth and didnt show any bad signs. I ended up at 32% gain that stays solid even at full throttle.

Flight numner 4 was with all the gains transfered to a 3 position switch and then go put it thru its paces!!!

So here is what i have taken from the one day and 4 flights with the 3e:

Rate mode produces that locked in feeling the everyone talks about! At 40% its good but better at 64% thou that will not allow for full throttle passes.. The first thing I really noticed was the slow rolls, it was ridiculous how much easier it is to do a nice super long slow roll with the gyro in rate mode and I was addicted to them In rate mode I did notice that I was able to fly with more travel. I normally use flightmodes with the habu (more throw for take off and landing, less throw for high speed acrobatic flight) with out the gyro the habu is pretty touch at high speed with my take off and landing mode but with the rate mode it really softened it up and in a nice way! both flight modes worked well but on landing I want the extra travel on the elevator and with the 3e I dont need to flip a switch between rates anymore and will just fly with the more throw all the time!

Head lock mode, or what I like to call knife edge mode Headlock did not show any bad tendancies at all and did not require any changing to my current flying style. The slow rolls were almost as nice as in rate mode but not any improvment. Now Knife edge is where it shines, the habu despite being balanced pretty far aft, does require alot of rudder to try and hold knife edge for a decent length. I normally have to add oposite aileron to overcome the roll that alot of rudder creates BUT in headlock mode there was zero roll despite full rudder defliction. This is just one less control input needed to create a nice solid knife edge pass! The elevator also kept it tracking straight down the line!!! I did the entire 3rd flight in head lock mode including landing and again ZERO bad tendancies! My only complaint is that only the Ailerons and Elevator use the headlock feature while the rudder remains in rate mode... I hope we see a software update to add the rudder into the headlock mode in the future..

So thats my expierence, I think the only other thing I didnt like was that there is only 1 rudder output, I would like to have had a second one for the nose wheel that could be set up independantly for some of the models that have tricky ground handling.
Thanks for the report !! Good info. Trying mine this Sunday, can't wait.

Danno
Old 06-01-2015, 11:20 PM
PowerBox-Systems GmbH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I hope we see a software update to add the rudder into the headlock mode in the future
You can activate the heading on the rudder with the computer. But you will find out in the first turn, that the model want to fly straight on! The rudder wants to hold the "Heading" while the aileron is told to fly in another direction. That´s the reason why HH on rudder is standard off!

Greets
Richard
Old 06-02-2015, 05:31 AM
bri6672
My Feedback: (6)

Originally Posted by PowerBox-Systems GmbH
Hello,

You can activate the heading on the rudder with the computer. But you will find out in the first turn, that the model want to fly straight on! The rudder wants to hold the "Heading" while the aileron is told to fly in another direction. That´s the reason why HH on rudder is standard off!

Greets
Richard

Well ill that makes perfect sense!

Thank you for making such a great product at such a fair price!

Brian Werner
Old 06-04-2015, 11:11 AM
cbooth1979
My Feedback: (22)

Ive been using my 3e now for a few flights and love it so far. My question is, once I establish the correct gain and then say move it to my flap switch can I also have a heading hold setting somewhere? My plan was to use my 3 pos flight mode switch (which is also flaps) and set the gain to increase as the flaps are lowered. I feel like I need another switch(mix?) to then activate heading hold? or would this not work...

Thanks
Old 06-04-2015, 11:28 AM
BarracudaHockey

Here's the deal, the gain is set to the output of the gain channel.

How you get that to where you want it is up to you.

I have mine on a 3 pos switch but I usually don't mess with it, but I do have a mix that bumps the gain when the gear is down (though I'm considering trying Kris' approach by using the flap switch.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:35 PM
heraldoboldrin

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

my surface that i will install the Igyro is not perfect level with the flight line.. is this a problem?
Old 07-06-2016, 06:12 AM
Bhodi11

Are there any differences between the SRS and 3e other than adjusting all 3 axis in a single flight? Trying to figure out which one to get. I use Jeti if that helps.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:27 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

Lots!
If you are using a Bus system then you can go SRS. If you are using PWM then 3e. The biggest difference was the GPS option of controlling gain, but you can now update the 3e to use the GPS II unit.

3e is simpler for first time gyro people
Old 07-06-2016, 06:28 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Bhodi11
Are there any differences between the SRS and 3e other than adjusting all 3 axis in a single flight? Trying to figure out which one to get. I use Jeti if that helps.
Well... I fly an F16 with the 3E and I also flew the same type of F16 with the SRS. I didnt like the feel for the SRS at all and the 3E was much better. The SRS might have not been set up properly but in my book the 3E felt better to me.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:38 AM
bluelevel
My Feedback: (39)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I prefer the SRS version also because of the display, this makes adjustments a whole lot easier. The 3e doesn't show you its settings, you'll have to use the computer or the cellphone app for adjustments.

Thomas
Old 07-06-2016, 06:39 AM
bluelevel

Originally Posted by gunradd
Well... I fly an F16 with the 3E and I also flew the same type of F16 with the SRS. I didnt like the feel for the SRS at all and the 3E was much better. The SRS might have not been set up properly but in my book the 3E felt better to me.
Must have been the settings, because the gyro function and software is exactly the same!

Thomas
Old 07-06-2016, 06:44 AM
Bhodi11

Thanks. I have plenty of gyro experience. Guadian, Cortex, AS3X, etc... All my nice planes have a Cortex currently. I thought I would give the iGyro a try. Particularly interested in how the heading hold works and feels. I did not care for it at all with the Cortex.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:47 AM
bluelevel

Thanks. I have plenty of gyro experience. Guadian, Cortex, AS3X, etc... All my nice planes have a Cortex currently. I thought I would give the iGyro a try. Particularly interested in how the heading hold works and feels. I did not care for it at all with the Cortex.
This post sums is up pretty well: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...l#post12047909
Old 07-06-2016, 07:52 AM
BarracudaHockey

HH on a Cortex, which is fantastic for 3D, is otherwise not the best choice for flying a jet.

Heading hold on the iGyro disengages that axis as soon as you move the stick off center and results in a much more natural feeling.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:20 AM
Bhodi11

I guess there is no concern with the SRS powering servos off a single power lead vs dedicated lines for the 3e? As I understand for Jeti purposes I can connect one of the bus outputs to one of the EXT ports in on say a REX10 receiver. I am still free to use that same receiver for throttle, gear, etc... One bonus of the SRS is since the flight surfaces are going through the EX bus I would be free to use all the channels of the RX for other stuff. So I could actually get 15 channels with only a 10 channel receiver. At least that is how I understand it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.