Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Pilot Dolphin Review and Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Pilot Dolphin Review and Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 05:31 PM
MorseAircraftDevelopment

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had mine within a week of placing the order. These tanks are awesome and well crafted! Plus made in the USA. Gary is a great guy to deal with and communicates well. He can also do custom tanks for you. This is one that he already has the molds for. Jump on his web site. There are many that would work with this jet and he can also split the tank for smoke. Almost any of the ones made for the Boomerang will fit in the Dolphin. Be sure and tell him you want the 3/16 fittings if you are running a 140 or so. And also if you have a UAT with the 3/16 fittings. Be sure to order his big clunks. They are great as well. I think they are 145.00 plus about 8 for a clunk. He also sells a very high quality Tygon if you need to replenish your supply.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:47 PM
myersflyers
My Feedback: (33)

Is that the same tank that fits the Boomerang Elan/XL/Sprint/Torus with a capacity of 125oz?
Old 04-08-2015, 05:48 PM
MorseAircraftDevelopment

Yes
Old 04-09-2015, 04:36 PM
rcbidder
My Feedback: (4)

Good news, Chief, shipped out my belly pan, today.

Pilots: would this Pilot from Dreamworks look to scale?:
Is the Dolphin considered 1/7 scale?
Old 04-09-2015, 04:39 PM
MorseAircraftDevelopment

That's great news they got you the belly pan! There is really not a scale on the Dolphin scince it is a sport jet, but here is a picture of it next to my 1/5 L39.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	1.99 MB
ID:	2087635  
Old 04-09-2015, 05:34 PM
viggkri
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by rcbidder
Good news, Chief, shipped out my belly pan, today.

Pilots: would this Pilot from Dreamworks look to scale?:
Is the Dolphin considered 1/7 scale?

I have the pilot from Dreamworks in mine Dolphin, it would look better if it was a little bigger.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:57 PM
dmattmul

Go to his web site. He will make a custom tank for about the same price. A 116 oz custom divided tank costs $185 in January. He does great work.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:26 AM
MorseAircraftDevelopment

Good morning everyone. First off, thanks for all the support you have given me in this thread and kind words on my review. As passionate as we all are in this hobby, I would like to take a moment to address a few things I have noticed talking to other people that have these planes that are coming from either warbirds or IMAC style airplanes.

It is very important that you get with a local experienced turbine pilot to help you with flying your jet for the first time. These Jets are marketed as a trainer jet, and for all purposes make a great trainer jet. We tested the sport wing version and his has been flawless for us. Now with that you have to remember that myself and everyone that flew it have flown for many years and know about jets and how to fly them without incident for the most part. To a guy coming from a piston style airplane, the jet may seem to be anything but a trainer without proper guidance from an experienced turbine pilot. You also MUST obtain a turbine waiver from the AMA to fly this airplane, it is good for all of us in the hobby to follow the AMA guidelines in all aspects of our flying. The AMA set up certain guidelines that you need to be proficient with to be a safe turbine pilot.

The point I am trying to make today is this. You cannot experiment with throws, or balance on this jet. Please follow the manual on the throws and mixing of the elevator to the flaps. Coming from an aerobatic background myself and not warbirds you may find yourself wanting to yank and bank the jet, or pull hard on the jet when things go bad on an approach. These things will hurt you on this jet, it will tip stall and spin, as will any jet. Although the surfaces allow for much more throw, it is not needed. Tony comes from the same background with building. He builds great aerobatic planes with a ton of throw. In his design for some reason he allowed the surfaces on the jet about the same as on a 3D bird. Which is fine as long as you don't use them. Please use the recommended throws that are given to you in the manual, they work. The Jet should be landed on low rates, now with that, even on low rates the jet can snap if you get it too slow, or even if you have plenty of speed but you yank the elevator because your flare is bad. I am addressing this because I want to help you guys be successful with your first Jet. But I am not a substitute for an experienced turbine pilot in your area to help you and look over your build. This is a whole different ball game than anything you have done before in the model aircraft world and you need guidance through it. I hope this helps and that everyone has a great time with the jet. I am currently building a "trainer" wing one right now and will be test flying it in the next week for a customer that is getting it at Joe Nall. I will post more pictures soon and am also coming up with a manual that will be in addition to the Pilot manual full of pictures and descriptions. It will be available on my website in the next few weeks. Hope this helps some of you that are new to turbine flying and set up.

Jordan
Old 04-13-2015, 06:59 PM
MorseAircraftDevelopment

Here are a few pics of one that I am doing for a customer. As you can see the test plane I did was not done to my normal standard as far as install of components.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Views:	222
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	2088968   Click image for larger version

Views:	204
Size:	682.6 KB
ID:	2088969   Click image for larger version

Views:	187
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	2088970  
Old 04-14-2015, 08:04 AM
Tip22v

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Very nice Jordan! Everything is looking good for my maiden flight this Saturday, hopefully my replacement brakes will get here in time. Thanks for posting the info about the larger tank option, definitely something I will look into after a few flights.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:41 PM
Helijet

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Tip22v

When you have completed the maiden could you provide us with the control throw measurements in INCHES. It would be helpful for those of us with trainer wings and rulers....lol

thanks
Dean
Old 04-14-2015, 05:51 PM
Tip22v

No problem. I have three flight modes configured with the min and max from the manual, along with an intermediate setting. I also have the recommended elevator mix configured with the flaps.
I will post my throws in Inches after I fly it. Everything is looking good for this Saturday!
Old 04-18-2015, 10:07 PM
Tip22v

I got two flights on the jet today. Both flights went very well. I have the trainer wing with the K140. I was amazed that the aircraft did not need even a single click of trim, it flew straight and level right from take-off. When deploying flaps to the intermediate level I did notice a very slight pitch down, this will be corrected with a very small amount of additional up elevator mix (I had the recommended mix configured, it just needs a tad bit more.) I flew the jet on low rates for the entirety of both flights, which were adequate but I will probably move to intermediate rates on future flights, I cannot see myself going to high rates ever. I noticed a bit of yaw wiggle on the downwind legs, we a had a slight choppy cross wind so I don't know if it was the wind or not, I will keep an eye out during future flights.

I will post some video soon.

I will post my throws in INCHES tomorrow or Monday.

Last edited by Tip22v; 04-18-2015 at 10:13 PM.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:28 PM
Tip22v

Here is the link to the video from yesterday's flights: https://youtu.be/j3yK0DQ_hK4
Old 04-19-2015, 04:27 PM
sailing1
My Feedback: (134)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn but that is a big wing. Plane looks like a good flyer though.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:22 PM
Helijet

Outstanding!!!!!!!!!!! Like the way it slows waaaayyyy down...like the color scheme
Thanks for giving us the numbers. Looks like mine will be ready to maiden next week...work permitting.
Hope to see you at Jets Over Whidby. We can do some formation flying!

Dean
Old 04-21-2015, 11:14 AM
MorseAircraftDevelopment

Nice job Tom, if you watch my high speed passes in my video you will see the yaw wiggle... some jets just do that, especially jets like the F4.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:08 PM
Tip22v

If the wiggle is normal I won't worry about it. Thx Jordan.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:16 PM
MorseAircraftDevelopment

It is normal on all the ones I've flown, we call it flying in its own bubble, as long as it stays there it's all good, the only thing that can stop it is a longer tail moment or ventral fins like an F16. Which I might do on my personal one. But honestly, if it flies good, don't mess with it, that's my rule of thumb anyway.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:38 PM
Tip22v

I agree, if it's not broken don't fix it. I can't wait to get out a fly it again!
Old 04-21-2015, 06:10 PM
MorseAircraftDevelopment

So glad you are happy Tom! As always let me know if there is anything I can do for you in the future, I don't sell them but am more than happy to help!
Old 04-22-2015, 01:43 PM
Tip22v

I did not get a chance to get any radar speed measurements on the Dolphin Jet but compared to a friend who was flying a BVM Bobcat the Dolphin was considerably slower, I clocked my friend's Bobcat at 170 mph (using radar). Now, I never went much over half throttle so I'm confident it will go a little faster but I still don't think it's going to be anywhere near the 170 my friends Bobcat was doing. I'm guessing it will max out around 150, maybe 155.

I'll be posting the throws tonight (sorry for the delay Dean).
Old 04-22-2015, 01:49 PM
MorseAircraftDevelopment

Yeah, 154 was my max SOG
Old 04-22-2015, 02:54 PM
Helijet

Tom

Not surprised about the speed. The BobCat is a pretty slick design and does not have the intakes. The Dolphin is quite a bit larger in every way drag wise. You will appreciate the slow speed characteristics when it comes down to those less than perfect days or unfamiliar fields. Not to say the Bobcat is not a nice jet. I have a couple of them over the years ( and yes - they wiggle too ....lol )
No worries on the numbers - whenever you can.

Enjoy!

Dean
Old 04-22-2015, 06:17 PM
Tip22v

I'm not disappointed with the speed, as you said I appreciate the fact that it's not a 180 mph machine

Here are the numbers on the throws I used on my first two flights:

Aileron: Low rates = .67"
High rates = 1.45"

Elevator Low rates = .5"
High rates = 1.1"

Flaps Intermediate = 1"
Full = 2.5"

Up Elevator mix for Flaps: Intermediate = .08" (2 degrees) I'm going to increase this to 3 degrees or .13 inches on my next flight
Full = .2" (5 degrees) I'm going to increase this to 6 degrees or .25 inches on my next flight

Rudder Low rates: 1.6" measured from the bottom of the rudder
High rates 3.5" measured from the bottom of the rudder

I only used low rates on my first two flights except I did use Full flaps on the second landing.

Hope this helps,

Tom

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.