Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Models for the Wren 44 - AGAIN!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Models for the Wren 44 - AGAIN!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 07:03 PM
jetflyr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=invertmast;12038074 <SNIP> So,here's what i'm wondering.

Would you guys want built up, foam core or all composite? It utilizes full flyingstabs and the linkage will likely be all internal.
= = = = = = =
I'm a fan of foam core wings. they are simple, inexpensive and easy to repair/reproduce/modify.

Flying stabs are cool and work well 99% of the time - but on a smaller airframe like this I would vote for fixed stab and elevator (generally needs a smaller (and lighter) servo.

Retracts- what do you guys use weight category wise? i'm planning to utilize off the shelf units.
= = = = = =
At 9 pounds I like Spring Air 602 series. For the weight I anticipate this - I'd use either the "regular" 5/32 Spring Air's or Robart's 550/530 series. Light and simple.

Gear doors, yay or nay?
= = == =
Nose maybe, mains nay

flaps- yay or nay?
= = = = =
ALWAYS ...errr....yay!

Greg
Old 05-13-2015, 07:37 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Unfortunately due to the location if the stab and the sweep of it, a conventional setup isnt possible. I'm planning to keep the linkage simple and have the stabs easily removable but done think it will be necessary.

It'll also sit on all three gear without the wing panels installed.

As far as the flaps, I'll probably give a few options on hinge styles. Id like to do some slotted/fowler flap hinges to really help slow it down for landing.

Gear doors ill leave the option for all three if you guys decide.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:04 PM
jetflyr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=invertmast;12038198 <SNIP>
As far as the flaps, I'll probably give a few options on hinge styles. Id like to do some slotted/fowler flap hinges to really help slow it down for landing.
= = = = = =
Slotted, using something like Tam's external hinges work well and look "scalish" ... not to mention, they are easy!

Greg
Old 05-14-2015, 05:05 AM
Gordon W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Scott Todd;12038104]Sorry I'm late responding Gordon...

The e brakes have been doing well. You need to take them apart every 10 flights or so and make sure there is no sand or dirt in them. It just takes a few minutes and I make it part of my post flight so When I put it away, its ready for next time. My 15lb model is doing fine with them. [\QUOTE]

No problem Scott, and thank you for your helpful reply. Cleaning them out often sounds like a good idea, especially with the short bearing surface. Before I re-assemble mine I'm going to see if I can make a replacement longer and more substantial bearing from some brass round bar I have.

I had some issues with the Eflite retracts but sorted it out. I had too many extensions and splits and the voltage drop was causing them to freak out. I hard wired everything except the wing connections and they have been working good since.

Thomas, my 83% 15lb Turbinator flies really well. I think if it was a few pounds lighter, it would be a lot nicer and easier on things like gear and brakes. Its not built heavy, it just needs lots of ballast to balance. I hate to see full flying stabs. They induce more load on system and I have found them to be flimsy and a failure point. Just ground handling or bumping into them can induce large loads where a fixed stab could easily absorb them. Just my opinion....Foam cores are alright. If done right, it can simplify the build a bit. Gear doors look cool and may give a few MPH's but otherwise are a pain. A nose gear door can produce more speed but the main doors don't do much for us. Definitely flaps Jets are slippery enough as it is....
You're correct regarding flaps. Even though it's only a small amount on the smaller turbines, the residual thrust on landing makes them even more slippery at a bad time!

Kind regards

Gordon
Old 03-17-2016, 05:29 PM
hobbyaire
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The HSD Super Viper Turbo Ready version is ideal. I have one w/ Wren 44 and it performs as a pattern ship as well as a turbine jet. Max speed 110mph