Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

A-10 nacelle liner

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

A-10 nacelle liner

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 12:03 PM
F106A
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A-10 nacelle liner

Hi,
I'm trying to install the nacelle liners in a Gen 4 Mibo A-10 without success, they simply do not fit.
Is there some type of trick to get them to fit?

I've tried reversing the liners, but either way they are to large to fit inside the recess in the formers.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Jon
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	A10 liner.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	504.6 KB
ID:	2076021  
Old 02-24-2015, 02:38 PM
AKB
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jon
Is the diameter too large or are the rails not fitting fitting in the notch down in the former. With my 5.5 it took just a bit of nudgeing here and there to get it into the former.

Alan
Old 02-24-2015, 04:22 PM
F106A

I measured the diameter of the front former which is 185 mm.
I then measured the circumference of the liner which is 590 mm which results in a diameter of 188 mm.
There is a difference of 3mm, a little more than 3/32" or 3/64" on each side.
Obviously, there's no way to force the liner inside the front former. When I tried, I get a "bulge".
People are fitting the liner, just can't figure out how.
Jon
Old 02-24-2015, 04:58 PM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

The installation tray front former sits in front of the nacelle front bulkhead, against it. It is fastened from the front with 4 M4 socket head screws.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:03 PM
olnico

Here is a picture of the tray just before it reaches the front bulkhead that can be seen in the background.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:26 PM
F106A

Thanks for the picture, but the issue isn't the front former fit against the nacelle former, the issue is the liner's diameter is too large to fit around the front former without a gap, as you can see from the picture.
It's been 4 years since I got the kit and it's been the most frustrating build I've ever done-NOTHING fits, from the wing fairings to the stab fairing, the liners and on and on.
The liners are the last thing I have to do to finish it up.
I just want to finish it and move on.
Jon

Last edited by F106A; 02-24-2015 at 05:28 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:32 PM
olnico

Sorry to hear that Gen 4 was that a bad fit.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:33 AM
kirkj
My Feedback: (61)

If i understand the question correctly....?
The ring is not supposed to fit down in the plywood diameter where the tray sits. it stays short of there by a few MM. and is basically unsupported at the aft end. you will understand why when you have your fingers in there fishing turbine cables and fuel lines as you slide in the tray with the turbine mounted
Old 02-25-2015, 09:35 AM
AKB

Originally Posted by kirkj
If i understand the question correctly....?
The ring is not supposed to fit down in the plywood diameter where the tray sits. it stays short of there by a few MM. and is basically unsupported at the aft end. you will understand why when you have your fingers in there fishing turbine cables and fuel lines as you slide in the tray with the turbine mounted
Hi Kirk
Does your Gen 4 not have extended rail ends on the tray that have tapered down end on the rail that then fits into a former about 2/3 of the way backwards on the nacelle that has notches in it for the end of the rails to fit into? Then you have the four bolts that secure the front end of the liner at the front. This is how it is done on the 5.5. Maybe I could take some pictures later tonight if you would like.

Alan
Old 02-25-2015, 09:51 AM
kirkj

Originally Posted by AKB
Hi Kirk
Does your Gen 4 not have extended rail ends on the tray that have tapered down end on the rail that then fits into a former about 2/3 of the way backwards on the nacelle that has notches in it for the end of the rails to fit into? Then you have the four bolts that secure the front end of the liner at the front. This is how it is done on the 5.5. Maybe I could take some pictures later tonight if you would like.

Alan
By "liner" i thought you were talking about the flimsy fiberglass ring that glues to the inlet bell.
Yes, that is how the Gen-4 tray loads into the nacelle. note that the left tray will not fit the right nacelle and vise-versa. mine fit perfectly. if it is the tray, then did you glue on the rear fiberglass cone correctly to the ID of the rear tray ring so it does not interfere?
Old 02-25-2015, 11:39 AM
AKB

Yes Kirk my inner fibre glass cone on the exit portion of the nacelle was glued on to rear part of the tray from the factory. I haven't tried it but that doesn't surprise me that you couldn't put the wrong tray in the wrong nacelle. That is because of the the 5 degree angle that needed for the of the thrust line of the engine, I would assume.
I hope this is helping you and is leading to a resolution to your problem. My mistake as far as not understanding my wording of liner.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:49 AM
AKB

Hey Kirk
I just went on Gen 4 thread on RCU titled 4th gen A-10 by Mibo jets and look at post #70 and Roger Shipley gives some good pictures of the engine in pod taken out of the nacell.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:46 PM
kirkj

Mine don't have a problem. they fit perfectly. just trying to help out because you started the thread with your issue.

and the left and right cant be swapped because the tray is mirrored. it will slide in, but the rear tabs wont fit...... by just a little bit, as the rails are offset from center.