Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Sebart Mini Avanti w/ K45 build thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Sebart Mini Avanti w/ K45 build thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2019, 08:24 PM
Razmo
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few Questions..

1) Does the JP Hobby Brake controller require an open channel in for operation?

2) Does the gear channel power the sequencer which then powers all three retracts and door sequencer servos plugged up to the sequencer? If so, does anyone what the amperage draw is on gear channel when loaded?

3) In the event a door sequencer servo jammed and/or a retract, could this spell disaster?

Thanks,
Raz
Old 11-21-2019, 02:58 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by didiwatt
Anyone interested in a stock landing gear set including door sequencer and servos etc. In unused condition. $125 shipped.
Did this gear come stock in your Avanti?
those struts are a much better design than what came in my MB 339
Old 11-21-2019, 05:02 AM
BarracudaHockey

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Razmo
A few Questions..

1) Does the JP Hobby Brake controller require an open channel in for operation?

2) Does the gear channel power the sequencer which then powers all three retracts and door sequencer servos plugged up to the sequencer? If so, does anyone what the amperage draw is on gear channel when loaded?

3) In the event a door sequencer servo jammed and/or a retract, could this spell disaster?

Thanks,
Raz
Yes
Yes
No, it shuts down on an over current
Old 11-21-2019, 05:49 AM
raydar

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob_B

Did this gear come stock in your Avanti?
those struts are a much better design than what came in my MB 339
They are the JP upgrade struts, minus the braked wheels. They should not be stock on any kit.

I have fitted a JP 45mm wheel to replace the 40mm one that came with the upgrade retracts I bought to replace the originals.

Last edited by raydar; 11-21-2019 at 05:53 AM.
Old 12-06-2019, 03:50 AM
belb99

What c of g is everyone one using or is the 145mm behind leading edge right.
thanks Brian.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:57 AM
smcharg
My Feedback: (1)

Received 124 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by belb99
What c of g is everyone one using or is the 145mm behind leading edge right.
thanks Brian.
145mm measured at the root rib is the CG for this aircraft. It matters not what motor/engine combo that you use. Stick with that as your starting point and move to suit your style but I think you'll find 145 to be pretty much dead on.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:03 AM
belb99

Thanks for that just wanted to confirm.
Old 12-20-2019, 09:03 AM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I took delivery of my Red and White version, Merry Christmas to me
I look forward to starting my Turbine conversion, this should be a fun throw it in the car and go fly type of jet when you want to get a quick turbine flight in at a local field.
Old 12-21-2019, 08:01 AM
emart

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You will enjoy it Rich they fly great

Ed

Old 12-21-2019, 08:46 AM
drfred58809

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am using a bag for the fuel made by Evernew with 900ml- it weighs nothing and you will never worry about air......no uat necessary.....just invest in a proper fuel station that measures pressure to avoid that the bag is stressed too much. VSpeak offers these fuel stations and they have a link to a website for custom made bags in almost any shape

The company Richter Tankverschluss sells caps for the bags with all necessary parts.....I find that war easier, safer and less Heavy than old school tanks

Old 12-21-2019, 03:10 PM
emart

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

for some reason the youtube link didnt work

Old 12-21-2019, 03:57 PM
ltc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by drfred58809
I am using a bag for the fuel made by Evernew with 900ml- it weighs nothing and you will never worry about air......no uat necessary.....just invest in a proper fuel station that measures pressure to avoid that the bag is stressed too much. VSpeak offers these fuel stations and they have a link to a website for custom made bags in almost any shape

The company Richter Tankverschluss sells caps for the bags with all necessary parts.....I find that war easier, safer and less Heavy than old school tanks
Unfortunately, for reasons I don’t know the history or reasons why, bag or flexible tanks are not allowed here in the USA per the Academy of Model Aeronautics.
Old 12-21-2019, 09:29 PM
drfred58809

Originally Posted by ltc
Unfortunately, for reasons I don’t know the history or reasons why, bag or flexible tanks are not allowed here in the USA per the Academy of Model Aeronautics.

Aha, now I understand the reason why I never see one in any of the jets over here ...... what a shame.......bit similar to the fact that brakes are mandatory even when flying from grass......

thank you for the explanation

happy holidays

markus
Old 12-22-2019, 05:59 AM
ltc

Originally Posted by drfred58809
Aha, now I understand the reason why I never see one in any of the jets over here ...... what a shame.......bit similar to the fact that brakes are mandatory even when flying from grass......

thank you for the explanation

happy holidays

markus
Yes, we are not permitted to use flexible tanks and must have both brakes and rudders.
I never heard the reasoning why. You can make a fuel tank out of a discarded soda bottle but you can’t buy a purposely designed flexible fuel tank that is used successfully everywhere else in the world? Seems odd.

Have a happy and safe New Year!
Old 12-22-2019, 07:00 AM
Helijet

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I can shed a little light on this. Turbine rules were first written in the mid '90s and while it is time to revisit some of these, national organizations are slow to change.
Having witnessed some spectacular, plasma bag / turbine powered aircraft burst and explode on impact, the AMA and MAAC ( Canada ) committees opted to ban flexible
bag use. While the material now used in IV medication bags has changed ( much stronger and puncture resistant ) in the past 20 years the rule still stands.
IMO it should be revisited.

Old turbine technology exhibited high residual thrust. In many cases, an aircraft could not remain stationary while at idle and due to slow spool up and down times, brakes were mandated.In the event of a runaway, the aircraft could be at least slowed down. Technology has moves on and this is another rule that could be looked reconsidered. Lower residual thrust, faster spool up and down times make the requirement of brakes less imperative. Rudder requirement was primarily for ground control ( crosswind / take off and landing ).

Dean W.

Last edited by Helijet; 12-22-2019 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-22-2019, 07:44 AM
ltc

Thank you for the background. My kids are both nurses, so I know how tough modern bags can be.
Personally, with all this drone nonsense os is probably not the right time for turbine rule changes ! I’m just hoping once the snow melts, I will be able to fly next season without a 10lb transponder strapped to my plane and a government employee assigned as my spotter!
Assuming of course I can pass the new upcoming airworthiness test. After all, fly8ng since 1974 means nothing anymore ...
Old 12-22-2019, 11:28 AM
drfred58809

I‘m working in the chemical industry and even there US regulations are like „made in the 70/80s“ allowing old technology which is more dangerous rather than modern, less hazardous ingredients.....so a lot of similarities

I hope that one day you guys are permittied to catch up with 21st century tech ......
Old 12-22-2019, 11:32 AM
BarracudaHockey

That's one of my missions, to work on getting the turbine rules updated.

For example, to get a waiver you need a plane that weighs at least 12 pounds dry so you need a waiver to fly the Avanti as a turbine, but it doesn't qualify as a plane that you can get your waiver with.

Old 12-22-2019, 01:20 PM
ltc

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
That's one of my missions, to work on getting the turbine rules updated.

For example, to get a waiver you need a plane that weighs at least 12 pounds dry so you need a waiver to fly the Avanti as a turbine, but it doesn't qualify as a plane that you can get your waiver with.
So are you proposing wing loading versus weight as the criteria for a waiver jet ?

For example, could you get a waiver using a 4m wingspan Fox glider with single 120 turbine on top, but perhaps then be unprepared to fly an Avanti with a significantly different wing loading/stall speed/handling?
Old 12-23-2019, 05:59 AM
BarracudaHockey

That's an interesting question and there's always situations where you say "you can get your waiver on this then fly that"

When I sign a waiver off (I'm a fixed and rotary turbine CD) i want to know if a person is conversant in proper installation and maintenance practices, fuel handling, fire suppression from ground or flight mishaps,and how to handle a complex model during flight.

I could always find some example of doing a waiver flight on a 12.1 pound plane means they can fly a twin 160 F-18. We (turbine sign offs) aren't to prove they can fly every conceivable model they could put a turbine on, we are there to make sure they can safely operate a model turbine and have the airmanship skills to handle a complex and potentially highly wing loaded model
Old 12-23-2019, 05:58 PM
smcharg

Hey guys,

I’m wanting to buy some carbon fiber plate and am wondering what thickness I should buy. If I’m making a plate to mount things on, what thickness do I need? Is 1 mm thick enough or do I need thicker?

Thanks,
Scott
Old 12-24-2019, 12:17 AM
raydar

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

1mm carbon plate is plenty strong for mounting stuff on, just bear in mind real carbon plate shields 2.4 ghz so personally I would avoid mounting your receivers on it if that is the plan.
Old 12-24-2019, 09:34 AM
smcharg

Originally Posted by raydar
1mm carbon plate is plenty strong for mounting stuff on, just bear in mind real carbon plate shields 2.4 ghz so personally I would avoid mounting your receivers on it if that is the plan.
Thank you.

Also, the new K45G3 is the same size as the K30 saving 300 grams. Because of this, I'll have to build some new mounts as the whole engine fits in the "gap". So, if I use the same 1mm plate to extend the mounts, do y'all think that'll be strong enough? I saw a picture on a previous page of someone doing something similar but it wasn't the carbon plate.
Old 12-24-2019, 10:10 AM
ltc

Originally Posted by smcharg
Hey guys,

I’m wanting to buy some carbon fiber plate and am wondering what thickness I should buy. If I’m making a plate to mount things on, what thickness do I need? Is 1 mm thick enough or do I need thicker?

Thanks,
Scott
You can also use carbon fiber with a wood core lamination. Very light and strong.
Old 12-27-2019, 09:16 AM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

As this is a small micro turbine, aircraft grade 3 mm or .12" thk plywood would be plenty strong enough for motor mounts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.