Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Evojet booster 90 issues

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Evojet booster 90 issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 08:43 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts
Default Evojet booster 90 issues

I picked up a second hand Booster 90 w/ 1:30hrs of run time since overhaul. Im having a problem with the thing getting started. It'll fire up and get into the acceleration stage, but around 22,000 rpm, it flames out and gives the "minT" error. The temps are around 450-550 when it starts accelerating, then as it passes through roughly 15-16k its up at the high 500-low600 temps and the temps decrease as the rpms increase until the temp falls below 500* and then the turbine flames out and gives a puff of white smoke. Battery voltage is fine and there are no visible airbubbles in the fuel line to the engine.

Ive been pulling my hair out with this thing all day and am clueless on what to check next. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Thomas
Old 06-18-2015, 11:03 PM
Jgwright

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thomas

People have reported problems when it is humid and hot. I notice you are in Florida where it is no doubt both. I presume you are using the correct battery .

The manual says Min-T:-
The exhaust gas temperature falls below the value specified under LIMITS 34:EGT-MIN.This is usually caused by air bubbles in the fuel supply system leading to a flameout in thecombustion chamber. Accompanied by considerable smoke emissions.
Solution: Use a better fuel tank system with a membrane fuel clunk or an AirTrap tank.

Min EGT in limits section is set at 250C You can check that this is the case.

I repaired a Booster 80 recently and apart from the many mechanical problems it developed problems in starting that were traced to the thermocouple. This was replaced with an externally mounted one and it has run fine ever since. Working on the Boosters is a bit of a nightmare and there are very few that offer to repair them since the firm that made them closed.

Good luck with it.

John
Old 06-19-2015, 12:30 AM
w4ste

Good Luck

When its Humid and hot you going to struggle with an Evojet turbine.

We have the same issue here in South Africa where as the Evojets works at coast but will not work in at High altitude, hot and humid conditions.

Thanks
Old 06-19-2015, 04:36 AM
chrigui

when hot and high % umidity some engine with fast accelleration ramp report problem...
then modify accelleration ramp.. and startup ramp..

same issue on 90 evo serviced..solved modify accelleration ramp

try to use diesel also

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20150612_131908.jpg
Views:	716
Size:	470.5 KB
ID:	2103965  
Old 06-19-2015, 04:40 AM
invertmast

John,
im using a 4s A123 battery. During the start, the temp never falls below 250 and the fuel system has been gone through twice now, there are no air bubbles.

I got a response from Arno last night and he said the ecu needed a firmware update to "adjust for the aging pump". I dont understand that, but ok. I then asked if a faulty data cable could be a problem as when i first received the turbine and had hooked everything up, the Egt was reading -80 to -100*c, he mentioned that was a possibility to.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:55 AM
chrigui

go to AUTOSTART menu --> change ACCE-RAMP from 16s (standard) to 30s or max 40s

Last edited by chrigui; 06-19-2015 at 04:58 AM.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:57 AM
invertmast

Originally Posted by chrigui
andare al menu AUTOSTART e modificare il valore ACCE-RAMPA ... standar è 16s ... provate con double..max è 40s
Thanks, ill try adjusting the acceleration-ramp time.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:43 AM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Good chat yesterday amigo. Sorry couldnt be much help with troubleshooting. I can say with certainty though..... That particular motor does not perform well under hot / humid conditions.

I look forward to seeing some of your projects roll off the assembly line

happy Father's Day

Last edited by yeahbaby; 06-19-2015 at 06:04 AM.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:48 AM
invertmast

Originally Posted by yeahbaby
Good chat yesterday amigo. Sorry couldnt be much help with troubleshooting. I can say with certainty though..... That particular motor does not perform well under hot / humid conditions.

I look forward ward to seeing some of your projects roll off the assembly line

happy Father's Day
the things we figure out after the fact..... I had a feeling i should of just saved a little longer and gotten a kingtech
Old 06-19-2015, 05:58 AM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Yeah sorry bro. Winter is right around the corner and in cooler temps it's a god lil motor. Perhaps the acceleration ramp might help, just boost airflow with a leaf blower to keep temps down.

My fear is you will spend a greater amount of time near peak EGT while it calibrates.

The leaf blower should help.

Last edited by yeahbaby; 06-19-2015 at 06:30 AM.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:06 AM
invertmast

I'll try that to. If murphy keeps working like he has, now that i have the turbine and can get it running, work will end up swamping me to the point that i would get to fly for a few months....
Old 06-19-2015, 06:12 AM
chrigui

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	--1.jpg
Views:	849
Size:	221.5 KB
ID:	2103976   Click image for larger version

Name:	--2.jpg
Views:	663
Size:	310.7 KB
ID:	2103977  
Old 06-19-2015, 06:47 AM
Jgwright

Thomas

Looks like you had instant help from knowledgeable people, none better than Arno who developed the ECU. Hope you manage to cure it or if not sell it to someone living in cold conditions, like the UK!

John
Old 06-19-2015, 06:48 AM
invertmast

Originally Posted by Jgwright
Thomas

Looks like you had instant help from knowledgeable people, none better than Arno who developed the ECU. Hope you manage to cure it or if not sell it to someone living in cold conditions, like the UK!

John
If it doesnt run, ill be having a talk with the guy i got it from and he can deal with it.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:20 AM
invertmast

Increased the ramp acceleration all the way to 40seconds and that didn't change anything. At this point i'm thinking the firmware update is an idea and that the pump just isn't supplying enough fuel during the start so once it hits 22k rpm, the starter blows out the flame.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:48 AM
invertmast

So I put in a new pump and it accelerates past 22k rpm now. but once it hits 25-26k rpm, it turns into a really pretty flame shot out of the tailpipe...
This is with both a 3s lipo, 4s A123,16second ramp or 40 second ramp, doesn't make any difference

Last edited by invertmast; 06-19-2015 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-20-2015, 05:14 AM
garyhyde

How old is your fuel? To much oil? Just asking
Old 06-20-2015, 06:27 AM
invertmast

Originally Posted by garyhyde
How old is your fuel? To much oil? Just asking

Its older than i like, but its also is in a sealed container. Oil is the same amount ive always used and whats suggested for the turbine.

Anyways, its been decided that ill be getting a refund and this piece is going back to the seller. Its no worth the my headache or expense to deal with an engine that may or may not operate during summer months and doesnt have any US based support. I'll put the money towards a new kingtech or something.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:17 PM
chrigui

Originally Posted by invertmast
Increased the ramp acceleration all the way to 40seconds and that didn't change anything. At this point i'm thinking the firmware update is an idea and that the pump just isn't supplying enough fuel during the start so once it hits 22k rpm, the starter blows out the flame.

OK.. could be various problem.. but it's very difficoult to give a diagnose by web

then you can check

1-kerostart valve leak (then too much fuel)..you can check remove cover or test leak when closed
2-lubrication needle
3-fuel leak into combustion chamber
4-fuel start point too high..
5- other

Last edited by chrigui; 06-21-2015 at 10:25 PM.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:36 AM
invertmast

Originally Posted by chrigui
OK.. could be various problem.. but it's very difficoult to give a diagnose by web

then you can check

1-kerostart valve leak (then too much fuel)..you can check remove cover or test leak when closed
2-lubrication needle
3-fuel leak into combustion chamber
4-fuel start point too high..
5- other
This is what it does with a new hausl fuel pump.

https://youtu.be/zfo1Hap35gQ

ill be keeping it as i was made an offer i couldnt refuse to by the original seller. Arno is convinced a firmware update will solve it, so ive got the us. Adapter, new cable set and a pump on order.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:46 AM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Its older than i like, but its also is in a sealed container. Oil is the same amount ive always used and whats suggested for the turbine.

Anyways, its been decided that ill be getting a refund and this piece is going back to the seller. Its no worth the my headache or expense to deal with an engine that may or may not operate during summer months and doesnt have any US based support. I'll put the money towards a new kingtech or something.
That's good news Thomas!

I bet you wouldn't have bought it if you had asked beforehand.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:12 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

I have to ask, what is causing the vibration? I've never seen a jet shake so much on start up.

This is what it does with a new hausl fuel pump.

https://youtu.be/zfo1Hap35gQ

ill be keeping it as i was made an offer i couldnt refuse to by the original seller. Arno is convinced a firmware update will solve it, so ive got the us. Adapter, new cable set and a pump on order.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:45 AM
invertmast

Originally Posted by LGM Graphix
I have to ask, what is causing the vibration? I've never seen a jet shake so much on start up.
That was the pump pulsing. I didnt feel like strapping it back to the mount for the 6th time in 24hrs.
Old 06-22-2015, 03:05 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Gotcha. I had two g booster 80 turbines that I received directly from booster years ago. I sold them both without running them. Those ecu's were Arno's design as well. Sadly both turbines when the new owner ran them did what yours is doing. I agreed to take them back and get them running or send them back to Didi. Didi wanted me to also do the software update and sent me the cable and program. I updated and both turbines ran flawlessly for me. My friend Paul was there as we used his test stand. I sent them back to the fellow that bought them from me. He emailed back stating they were running great and all was well. I later heard through the grapevine a whole pile of bs regarding the engines which I will not get into of course as its over and done with but part of all the issues revolved around, let's call them untruths on everyone involved in the boosters at the time. After the run around I had I will never own another booster product again although I will admit my G Booster 160+ was one of the best engines I ever had. I just can't be bothered to to deal with the companies again. I hope the software flash sorts things out for you!
Old 06-22-2015, 03:54 PM
invertmast

Originally Posted by LGM Graphix
Gotcha. I had two g booster 80 turbines that I received directly from booster years ago. I sold them both without running them. Those ecu's were Arno's design as well. Sadly both turbines when the new owner ran them did what yours is doing. I agreed to take them back and get them running or send them back to Didi. Didi wanted me to also do the software update and sent me the cable and program. I updated and both turbines ran flawlessly for me. My friend Paul was there as we used his test stand. I sent them back to the fellow that bought them from me. He emailed back stating they were running great and all was well. I later heard through the grapevine a whole pile of bs regarding the engines which I will not get into of course as its over and done with but part of all the issues revolved around, let's call them untruths on everyone involved in the boosters at the time. After the run around I had I will never own another booster product again although I will admit my G Booster 160+ was one of the best engines I ever had. I just can't be bothered to to deal with the companies again. I hope the software flash sorts things out for you!
yea i hear ya on that, the more research i did once i received this thing, the more frustrating it began, but the deal i was made, i couldnt not keep it. If the software update really fixes it, ill be happy, hell im happy either way now. Having this, even if it means shipping to germany for services, is way better than the Ram and the crap service i got from Carlos and Rti, atleast there is a manufacturer to provide parts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.