Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Installing a cortex inverted

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Installing a cortex inverted

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 04:49 PM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Installing a cortex inverted

Hey guys I hate to ask such a simple question, I got a 2nd Cortex,

But this one needed to be installed inverted.

I downloaded the Cortex software, connect it up, got it to show on the software is vishion 13, etc. But I try to push the invert option and the equal signs on the right turn red with a slash, I go to the first page and try to send and it doesn't seem to do anything.

What am I doing wrong. Thanks
Old 07-08-2015, 04:41 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

It doesn't change to an = sign?

Thats odd.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:46 AM
mikes68charger

No it doesn't change.

So I built a bracket and mounted it the stock way inside the belly of the bi plane, all seems to be working correctly, but the ali don't react/move as much as the elevators or rudder. At 40 it bears moves and at 100 it only moves 5mm max.

The servos are useing 100 servo travel?
Old 07-08-2015, 11:09 AM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Apologies for a couple of (possibly) obvious questions but this is all I can think of with the limited info available:

For the 'invert' option, are you clicking 'Write All' on the software after changing the orientation in the software.

If the aileron correction looks too small, can you confirm that the learning process was done without any limited travel/rates turned on?
Old 07-08-2015, 11:16 AM
BarracudaHockey

Yes, you need to do the learning process in the highest rate that you plan on using.

Also, since you have the software make sure the gain hasn't been altered on that axis.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:22 PM
mikes68charger

Originally Posted by siclick33
Apologies for a couple of (possibly) obvious questions but this is all I can think of with the limited info available:

For the 'invert' option, are you clicking 'Write All' on the software after changing the orientation in the software.

If the aileron correction looks too small, can you confirm that the learning process was done without any limited travel/rates turned on?
Thanks for the input, So yes I get it to sync up, go to the options tab and click invert in gyro set up, then go back to the first tab and click 'Write All' and nothing seems to happen.

The only othere gyro I have are 5 Iceman gyros, and when you hit the send/update button it shows you its updateding and then the gyro moves the control serfaces, and the update has admedit effect right then and there.

Im going to try to see if they had a manual to down load, I admit I had a lot going on while I was trying to do this, dang cable guy.

Im also going to rebind it, and try the set up again.

Thanks
Old 07-08-2015, 12:44 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

If you don't mind me asking, what do you feel the cortex offers that the Iceman does not? Just curious.
Old 07-08-2015, 01:43 PM
BarracudaHockey

Cortex is hard to beat but I'll look forward to his thoughts on a comparison after he tries out the Cortex
Old 07-09-2015, 01:32 AM
DEMONjoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You seem to have done correct, anyway I want to repeat this whole procedure:
1) Connect the CORTEX to the PC software and power it, so that you get a green bar stating 'connected' in the right bottom screen.
2) Now, in case you did any changes before already, click 'Read all' in the Global page. This ensures that all data from the system is now available in the software too. The green equal sign in the right bottom needs to show up. From any changes on, do not care about the un-equal sign in the Reset window, as this only shows that the unit is not matching the factory state any more.
3) Switch to the Options page, click 'Inverted' (and in case set the orientation for the socket side). Herewith the green equal sign changes to un-equal. Now click 'Write all' right here (no need to change to the Global page again, but does not make a difference), and the equal sign needs to show up again.
That's it and must work. There is no reason why it should not, no setup issue that would affect this parameter not to be written and changed, even on a factory state unit with no teach-in yet (as this needs to be set correct prior to teach-in).

And update the firmware to V.15. Not affecting this special issue either, but highly recommended for best flight performance. Use the update firmware button in the Global page and follow the instructions.

Last edited by DEMONjoe; 07-09-2015 at 01:35 AM.
Old 07-10-2015, 07:06 AM
mikes68charger

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Cortex is hard to beat but I'll look forward to his thoughts on a comparison after he tries out the Cortex

Thanks guys, it seems like all is good, I love the Iceman Gyro on my war birds, There are so many more parmeiter that you can modifi to your tast with the Iceman, but You may beable to do the same with the Cortex but Im still learing.

The Iceman, I put the gain really high just on the rudder to help the war birds track stratight, then when gear go up, its back to a more resonable setting for flight.

I the issue most have the Iceman gyro is once you set it up, as it dose not learn like the Cortex which is very nice, the Iceman tends to over soften the roll rate only for some reason.

Me and 3 othere guys have used them and all felt the same way, with the Iceman on you have to go to high rates to get a roll that is like no gyro opps on low rate. But there is a setting that lets you dial down that effect per axi, but it takes a few flights to get it the way you want.

I went with the Cortex becouse I could not get the Iceman to work on my Carf Eurosport even thow it says it dose delta wings, it was just odd.

The Cortex I droped it in, set the gain to 40 and fell in love, Yes the Iceman is $70 vs $320 but It took me 20min to install the Cortex vs the few days it took me to get the Iceman dialed in nicely, so for me on jets the peace of mind and working great out of the box makes the Cortex a winner, but on my warbirds that all fly so diffrently I like the Iceman.

I got the Cortex working in the BiPlane last night and it was wonderfull, I thought I might had a glich but it could of been I put in heading old for sec. Im not sure if I can send it in for a good old check over.