Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New Futaba 18SZ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New Futaba 18SZ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 01:41 PM
Jgwright

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by afterburner
But is all that data coming through on the Jetibox or the radio? I assume the Jetibox.
I had the system just before getting the new 18SZ. I used an old R6014 receiver in the test aircraft as it does not use SBus servos. I have investigated using some data to go via the Futaba telemetry and some via the Jeti. I do not fly myself so as the spotter I can stand behind the pilot with the data and use the screen when he cannot look at the screen.

John
Old 10-15-2015, 06:55 AM
MX240
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple years ago I bought a 14 MZ and struggled with the menu.
Had to learn what "conditions were" "Air dams" "camber" ???
A whole new language that only a Windows tech could have programed in this radio.
A Futaba flyer told me it was a Window base program that the company converted for model plane use.

After coming from my JR 10 easy to use radio I spent hours learning how to set up a Futaba full house war bird.
Calling US Futaba was a joke as they know very little and instruction book is out of date with 72 Frec. info.
To the Futaba 14MZ credit it has never lost me big $$ airplane. Rock solid.
But I doubt I buy another "F" brand as my fill in Spectrum 9 has been working well and is super easy to program.
Company support has been top notch from Horizon.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:21 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

All I can say is you must be computer challenged? The 14mz has NAMES in little windows that tell you what to do. It's pretty much WYSIWYG.. what you see is what you get.. Would be difficult to make it easier.
I believe the JR 28X is now using the same principal with Icons on the screen.. very similar.
Old 10-17-2015, 08:06 AM
Jgwright

Having got to grips with the 18SZ I am starting to think about the 'best' receiver for my purposes.

My planes are often on the smaller size and mostly do not have very high power servos. In the large planes I have the choice of receiver and system is easy. 2 of the cheap Sbus R6303SB 3 channel receivers can be connected to the Powerbox SRS and running the 18 SZ in FASSTtest mode I believe I will get 18 channels but can only have 12 analogue servo channels in the Powerbox SRS. (One of which is the sequencer and retracts). However if I have servos operating in pairs on surfaces then they can be matched and up to 21 servos can be connected.

Now in single receiver planes I usually use a R6014 (12 channels proportional and 2 switch) with a Powerjack amplifier if the leads are long or the servos are large ones.

I have looked at the new R7018 SB 18 channel receiver. This can be run in FASST normal mode with 18 analogue channels, FASST High speed with 12 channels analogue but the first 6 channels are reserved for Sbus. The final option is 18 channels Sbus. The receiver is telemetry enabled but only for FASST High Speed or Sbus.
The receiver has a built in switch system that must be used, and has dual power feeds but no power regulation. It can handle 2s Lipo voltages directly if the servos will cope.
The price of this receiver is £189.99 which is similar to the R6014.

In my existing planes I am used to using Powerbox switches that regulate the current and in the larger planes I use the Gemini. Most standard cheaper servos are rated at 6 V.

I have no desire to buy SBus servos and get locked into Futaba completely. I use A123 packs for all batteries so would be running the servos at slightly higher than rated current, though most seem to get away with it.

The R7018 seems like a good choice for me for the time being. There is nothing to stop me mixing systems in different planes and if I really wanted telemetry I could use it in FASSTtest mode and use 6 channels with Sbus servos.

I did wonder about using a serial to analogue converter to cover the first 6 channels but this would make the receiver very expensive.

What do others think?

John
Old 10-17-2015, 08:13 AM
Carsten Groen

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I totally get your point John,
I was after a cheap way for smaller planes where a 7008 is not enough. I know there is the small 3 PWM output cables from Futaba that are a little pricey and they are only 3 (or 4) PWM outputs. I decided to roll my own with 8 PWM outputs from SBUS/SBUS2 instead (can also decode multiprop channels like the MPDX-1).
The 7018 is a good choice, I just don't like the price of it for smaller planes and the funny "6 servos" thing....

I like to have control over the stuff
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-10-13 14.56.00.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	3.12 MB
ID:	2125839  
Old 10-17-2015, 08:23 AM
modtron

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Carsten,

Not sure if you are aware of this, but Futaba released this item some time ago - S-Bus to normal PMW outputs.
http://www2.ripmax.net/Item.aspx?Ite...Search=p-sbd-2

In the case of the MPDX-2's - I am currently playing with 2 of these withe 7018SB receiver on my 18MZ - gives me a fully adjustable 32 channels radio !

modtron
Oxford UK
Old 10-17-2015, 08:32 AM
Carsten Groen

Thanks Modtron,
I was not aware that they did this one!
I primarily did the my own because of cost (around $45) and because it can be configured for both "normal channel use" and also for multiprop use (and soon with a sequencer feature). And it is a "first step" towards a even more sofisticated device that I'm currently doing
But the SBD-2 is nice !
Only thing that REALLY $ucks about Futaba is their telemetry support, they really have lost their grip on that one (as most of the tx manufacturers....)
Old 10-17-2015, 08:32 AM
Jgwright

Originally Posted by Carsten Groen
I totally get your point John,
I was after a cheap way for smaller planes where a 7008 is not enough. I know there is the small 3 PWM output cables from Futaba that are a little pricey and they are only 3 (or 4) PWM outputs. I decided to roll my own with 8 PWM outputs from SBUS/SBUS2 instead (can also decode multiprop channels like the MPDX-1).
The 7018 is a good choice, I just don't like the price of it for smaller planes and the funny "6 servos" thing....

I like to have control over the stuff

Carsten

This looks interesting, is it available generally and if so what price ?

Could you plug 2 into a SBus receiver?

John
Old 10-17-2015, 08:36 AM
Carsten Groen

John,
yes, available in a couple of weeks (but as modtron wrote the SBD-2 is also a neat device!). With my device you can put as many as you want on the SBUS/2.
If you take a 7003 and connect 4 of my modules, you will have some channels Also the module transmits the current "signal quality" as well as number of failsafe frames to the transmitter so you can set an alarm threshold in the transmitter (I can't imagine why Futaba did not do that in the first place with their own stuff.....)
Old 10-17-2015, 09:53 AM
Jgwright

John,
yes, available in a couple of weeks (but as modtron wrote the SBD-2 is also a neat device!). With my device you can put as many as you want on the SBUS/2.
If you take a 7003 and connect 4 of my modules, you will have some channels Also the module transmits the current "signal quality" as well as number of failsafe frames to the transmitter so you can set an alarm threshold in the transmitter (I can't imagine why Futaba did not do that in the first place with their own stuff.....)
Thanks Carsten

For the non tech guys like me I have problems with understanding the S-bus and why it was developed in the first place. I had not realised that Futaba does a cheap multi channel converter, but I still will be interested in what you are developing, so keep us in touch.

John
Old 10-18-2015, 09:16 AM
rfbenn

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Just flown both my jets today using my 18sz after copying all the settings from my 12fg, trim differences were so minor that one plane needed no changes and the other a bit of aileron trim but that was mainly due to some mechanical changes beforehand.
As expected signal was rock solid with no issues at all , really pleased with my new toy .

Rob
Old 10-19-2015, 04:18 AM
Carsten Groen

I played around with my friends 18SZ and my own 18MZ yesterday to see what differences there were...
A few not so important things (size of screen, resolution of screen, fewer selections in mixers (EXP, point etc). But to my surprize, you can NOT rename the sensors on the telemetry screen like you can on the 18MZ ?!?
So, if you have 3 temperature sensors in your multiengine plane etc, they are all just called "Temperature" on the screen. On the 18MZ, you can rename all sensors to something that gives sense. Not good, and hope this will be changed ASAP !
Old 10-22-2015, 03:20 AM
Jgwright

My 18 channel receiver has now arrived for my latest model the R7018 SB. I spoke with Ripmax and it seems I had not quite understood what it can do. The issue of the first 6 channels in FASSTEST mode only applies with the high speed setting. Apparently I get a full 18 channels at normal speed FASSTEST with telemetry and can use non S bus servos in all channels, which is great. Using the SBus mode I can have telemetry as well but I need Sbus servos. Seems like this does all I need. On my latest model I have 11 servos and it will be much better to have them all on separate channels and match them rather than use some Y leads. I will need an additional 3 channels for retracts, brakes and throttle so can use 14 without fitting a gyro.

Incidentally please supply feedback for things you think need changing with the Tx. Futaba will be listening!

John
Old 10-22-2015, 03:24 AM
Carsten Groen

That sounds great John!
But, when using all 18 channels as PWM outputs, are there no seperate SBUS2 connector in the receiver for connecting SBUS2 telemetry devices (temp sensor etc etc) ?
Old 10-22-2015, 03:41 AM
Jgwright

That sounds great John!
But, when using all 18 channels as PWM outputs, are there no seperate SBUS2 connector in the receiver for connecting SBUS2 telemetry devices (temp sensor etc etc) ?
Carsten

There are 18 channels aligned vertically for servos. In addition are underneath the 18 channels are 2 horizontally sited connectors for SBus. There is a third that is used for the special switch that it comes with.

John
Old 10-22-2015, 03:43 AM
Carsten Groen

Thanks John!
Guess that means that you can connect SBUS2 sensrors to one of these
Old 10-22-2015, 04:10 AM
Jgwright

Yes that is what it says in the instructions. Also on the back of the unit between the power input cables there is a small power socket to give telemetry voltage if needed.

There is also Multiprop support.

John
Old 10-22-2015, 04:59 AM
cyphur01

Search r7018sb on google and be sure to check discussions going on in other forums. This rx seems to have some strange limits such as only being able to use 6 hv high torque servos in it. Worth checking out.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:46 AM
Jgwright

Originally Posted by cyphur01
Search r7018sb on google and be sure to check discussions going on in other forums. This rx seems to have some strange limits such as only being able to use 6 hv high torque servos in it. Worth checking out.
In the second piece of instructions that came with the RX it does say the rated current is 12A peak 20A. As a rule they suggest that not to use more than 6 HV servos equal to or exceeding the BLS172SV specs (472 Oz.in 6v.) That is not an issue for me as I do not have any jets with such high power servos. Thanks though for pointing it out.

John
Old 10-22-2015, 06:11 AM
In the Haze

If I may be so foreward as to ask a simple question......

Can this receiver handle say 10 x JR 8911 servos, a gear door sequencer and valves etc. under normal conditions using 2 x LiFe packs. Nothing fancy, no high speed or high voltage whatever, Just as I have been doing for jonks with the 6014 receivers with no problems???
Old 10-22-2015, 09:44 AM
Jgwright

Originally Posted by In the Haze
If I may be so foreward as to ask a simple question......

Can this receiver handle say 10 x JR 8911 servos, a gear door sequencer and valves etc. under normal conditions using 2 x LiFe packs. Nothing fancy, no high speed or high voltage whatever, Just as I have been doing for jonks with the 6014 receivers with no problems???
Your application is clearly one where there may be a danger in overloading the current 6014 receiver. In my view you really should be using a Powerbox to distribute the signals to the servos. As I understand it the new R7018 has a higher rated power than the other Futaba Receivers but I would still not suggest you should use as many high powered servos directly even if you have got away with it so far.

John
Old 10-22-2015, 11:32 PM
In the Haze

Sorry forgot to mention "6014 with a powerbox"....

What I really wanted to ask was, can I now eliminate the powerbox using the 7018?

i seems maybe not.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:43 AM
Jgwright

The best option for a high power set up with 10 high power servos is to have 2 of the cheap S Bus receivers (capable of 18 channels) feeding either a Powerbox SRS or the Emcotech. This gives outputs for high power analogue or digital servos and there will be no problems with the power levels with power regulation. Also the SRS has an inbuilt sequencer as well.

John
Old 10-25-2015, 12:37 AM
izzy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

has anyone figured if we can add picture of the current model to the homescreen of the 18SZ like the 18MZ ?
went thru the manual and also the tx menus and could not find a place that will add this

also can we use the new 2018SB receiver with regulated 5.9V ( the tech info says 6.0v-8.4v)
Old 10-25-2015, 08:34 AM
Jgwright

Originally Posted by izzy
has anyone figured if we can add picture of the current model to the homescreen of the 18SZ like the 18MZ ?
went thru the manual and also the tx menus and could not find a place that will add thisalso can we use the new 2018SB receiver with regulated 5.9V ( the tech info says 6.0v-8.4v)

The instructions with the receiver says 6.0v to 7.4v (voltage range 4.8 to 8.4v). I presume that they mean it can take unregulated full 2 S lipo or A123 if the servos can handle them. In my next plane the servos are a mix of servos and I wouldn't want to use unregulated A123 just in case. I have bought a Jeti regulator of the same power level as the receiver and will feed it with 5.7V. As you know A123 will hold full voltage for most of the charge so this should work out ok. The regulator specifically says ok for A123.

John

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.