Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Define a drone

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Define a drone

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 04:10 PM
jofunk

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Not always. We asked the county for some field improvements and we got a brand new field, and of all places Cook county Il.
Old 12-30-2015, 04:27 PM
stevekott

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jofunk
Not always. We asked the county for some field improvements and we got a brand new field, and of all places Cook county Il.

WOW! That's great!

I live in Commiefornia, things are different out here.
Old 12-30-2015, 04:52 PM
jofunk

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Anyways, back to asking permission, Hopefully he did. If not then that's how the problems start………………… If you ever come to Chicago bring your flying contraption. There are 9 R/C fields in Cook county.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:06 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tiporarefun
This is interesting, sorry off topic. Over 500mph in a 300' circle and no motor to boot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFPJ6DUAY10
Great video..even with the howling wing. Love the understatement of the century at the .25 second point....."thats fast". uh...YA!
Old 12-30-2015, 06:32 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Originally Posted by SushiHunter

Nope not interested the least bit in seeing the terrain from the perspective of something like a flying tennis ball. Plus if that's being flown outside of LOS isn't that now against new FAA policy?

Hey Rob
Like I always say if U can't find something one likes in this hobby go buy a Sail Boat a Lawn chair and a 6 pac. Now when U sober up U can use your FPV to find the Sail Boat or maybe another 6 pac and to He]] with the dumb boat.

Besides U assies ain't got a goofy FAA down under either. Hey can ya fly one of them there mix master (quads) under the influence. Just Kidd'n guy. Hows your summer going. Parts of the USA ain't havin a good winter. Tornados, flooding and Blizzards Kill'en People and all.

p.s. running in and out of the ruins looks like a blast.
Yes what gives with that weather? we are seeing it daily here on the news also. I hope 2016 brings a better year for all of us. CASA can be goofy sometimes too but they have treated me well over the years so no real complaints.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:55 PM
Rob2160

Some day if/when my hand/eye coordination isn't like it used to be when I was younger I'll get into flying a multirotor "drone". I'll need that safety net of just taking my fingers off the controls so it stops moving and just hovers dead in it's tracks until I regain coordination and continue on. Damn jets and planes! Can't just stop them moving forward when loosing control.
LOL, good idea, but now you are comparing apples to oranges - these GPS equipped self stabilised machines are not the ones I am talking about.

I am comparing fixed wing flying to flying acro multi copters in manual mode - apples to apples, you do understand the difference right?

The fact that fixed wing aircraft must keep flying forward is what makes them so easy to fly in my opinion - they are aerodynamically directionally stable.

Performing a smooth 360 turn in a fixed wing is a piece of cake - just bank and apply elevator - aerodynamics and directional stability does the rest - the heading changes automatically around the turn - no input is needed from the pilot.

The shape of a fixed wing aircraft also makes it easy to orientate in flight and it flys in the direction it is facing.

An acro multi copter has no airframe aerodynamics and no aerodynamic directional stability - it can fly equally in any direction and therefore requires constant attention from the pilot to maintain orientation.

Completing a coordinated turn in an acro multi requires more skill than in a fixed wing. You bank, apply extra thrust to compensate for the tilted lift vector, adjust pitch to maintain speed then manually yaw at a rate that matches the turn radius otherwise it will get messy within seconds.

There is no aerodynamic directional stability doing the hard work for you.

The same applies to basic aerobatics. My wife can fly loops and rolls in fixed wing RC aircraft after a quick demonstration. She still can't do a loop in a multi copter without crashing as that requires more coordinated inputs.

How long do you think this multi copter would keep flying if you let go of the controls? Lets stick to comparing apples to apples please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWYt3JYlOHY

Last edited by Rob2160; 12-30-2015 at 07:20 PM.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:01 PM
porcia83
Banned

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	58875046.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	2138663  
Old 12-30-2015, 07:06 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by porcia83
Don't get me wrong, My fixed wing planes have given me years of enjoyment. If I didn't have to drive an hour to a turbine approved flying field I'd probably have one or two in the fleet also.

Most of my RC flying these days is at a local park while the wife exercises and jogs. I get a regular jet engine fix in full scale anyway.

Last edited by Rob2160; 12-30-2015 at 07:18 PM.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:15 PM
Duncman

Originally Posted by AndyAndrews
What most people don't understand is that the FAA, just like the ATF defines and redefines things on the fly. Their definition of a drone is about at good as the electrons used to type these words. They can change it anytime they want without authorization from congress. So in essence, we are at the mercy of some Washington bureaurat to decide the fate of our hobby based on the definition they invent.
The AMA did try and get them to redefine the Drone Definition and they all but ignored it so the electrons are sadly still going to impact us and yes we are at the mercy of Washington.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:19 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Rob2160
Don't get me wrong, My fixed wing planes have given me years of enjoyment. If I didn't have to drive an hour to a turbine approved flying field I'd probably have one or two in the fleet also.

Most of my RC flying these days is at a local park while the wife exercises and jogs. I get a regular jet engine fix in full scale anyway.
Braggart! Not fair....
Old 12-31-2015, 08:11 AM
SushiHunter

LOL, good idea, but now you are comparing apples to oranges - these GPS equipped self stabilised machines are not the ones I am talking about.

I am comparing fixed wing flying to flying acro multi copters in manual mode - apples to apples, you do understand the difference right?

The fact that fixed wing aircraft must keep flying forward is what makes them so easy to fly in my opinion - they are aerodynamically directionally stable.

Performing a smooth 360 turn in a fixed wing is a piece of cake - just bank and apply elevator - aerodynamics and directional stability does the rest - the heading changes automatically around the turn - no input is needed from the pilot.

The shape of a fixed wing aircraft also makes it easy to orientate in flight and it flys in the direction it is facing.

An acro multi copter has no airframe aerodynamics and no aerodynamic directional stability - it can fly equally in any direction and therefore requires constant attention from the pilot to maintain orientation.

Completing a coordinated turn in an acro multi requires more skill than in a fixed wing. You bank, apply extra thrust to compensate for the tilted lift vector, adjust pitch to maintain speed then manually yaw at a rate that matches the turn radius otherwise it will get messy within seconds.

There is no aerodynamic directional stability doing the hard work for you.

The same applies to basic aerobatics. My wife can fly loops and rolls in fixed wing RC aircraft after a quick demonstration. She still can't do a loop in a multi copter without crashing as that requires more coordinated inputs.

How long do you think this multi copter would keep flying if you let go of the controls? Lets stick to comparing apples to apples please.
Like I said, if/when the time comes that my hand/eye coordination is not what it used to be when I was younger, when I have a slower response time, if I still want to be involved in r/c if/when that happens, I'll get a mr drone. Until that time comes, I'm sticking with the faster paced a/c.

And if your mr drones fly so operator intense/human pilot dependent, set one up that has a separate throttle control for each motor without gyro equipment and fly that one.

Last edited by SushiHunter; 12-31-2015 at 08:15 AM.
Old 12-31-2015, 08:20 AM
SushiHunter

Local park as in where there are people, buildings, etc.? Operating mr drones in public parks is one of the reasons we got this issue today. Nice going.
Old 12-31-2015, 08:26 AM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.truthandaction.org/legisl...lice-drones/2/
Old 12-31-2015, 11:33 AM
mike31
My Feedback: (67)

Definition of a drone; one that lives on the labors of others : parasite
Old 12-31-2015, 03:07 PM
Rob2160

Like I said, if/when the time comes that my hand/eye coordination is not what it used to be when I was younger, when I have a slower response time, if I still want to be involved in r/c if/when that happens, I'll get a mr drone. Until that time comes, I'm sticking with the faster paced a/c.

And if your mr drones fly so operator intense/human pilot dependent, set one up that has a separate throttle control for each motor without gyro equipment and fly that one.
LOL, clearly you entirely missed my point again. Enjoy your jets and Happy New Year.

Last edited by Rob2160; 12-31-2015 at 03:16 PM.
Old 12-31-2015, 03:45 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by stevekott
WOW! That's great!

I live in Commiefornia, things are different out here.
yorba linda, CA Aint the Place Rush is always giving credit to?
Old 12-31-2015, 04:01 PM
HoundDog

What percentage of sales do U suppose Quads ar of all the Manufactures Wholesalers Vendors and LHS. and anyone else concerned with this HOBBY/SPORT. Do U figure it's enough to where the Principles in this Hobby/Sport (Not just DRONES) will start Lobbying the congress / FAA to try and get a fair shake. But again Who, does flying near full scale, stadiums, airports, People and forest fires etc. Has anyone here flown flown any where but your local AMA Field? If U can say NO then why worry none of this except 400' stuff is going change any of your flying. If or Until the FAA has You Swear Under oath and sigh that U will not fly over 400', Nothing is binding.Adversary Circular AC 91-75a is just that Advisory and not LAW until it is made part of an FAR.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:49 PM
Tiporarefun

What percentage of sales do U suppose Quads ar of all the Manufactures Wholesalers Vendors and LHS. and anyone else concerned with this HOBBY/SPORT. Do U figure it's enough to where the Principles in this Hobby/Sport (Not just DRONES) will start Lobbying the congress / FAA to try and get a fair shake. But again Who, does flying near full scale, stadiums, airports, People and forest fires etc. Has anyone here flown flown any where but your local AMA Field? If U can say NO then why worry none of this except 400' stuff is going change any of your flying. If or Until the FAA has You Swear Under oath and sigh that U will not fly over 400', Nothing is binding.Adversary Circular AC 91-75a is just that Advisory and not LAW until it is made part of an FAR.
I can't decipher all you wrote but will add this... Not every body that fly's rc fly at a club field, we don't all live in a populated area like you... Infact you might be surprised that only 5% of the land in this country is even been improved. Most that belong to the ama don't always fly at ama fields!!
Old 12-31-2015, 07:00 PM
Tiporarefun

LOL, clearly you entirely missed my point again. Enjoy your jets and Happy New Year.
Not to worry Rob, if he was really serious ( speed and faster paced) he would be flying gliders. A turbine just doesn't cut it, or the airframe that contains a turbine just doesn't cut it...period!!!!!!!!.
Old 12-31-2015, 11:17 PM
Rob2160

Local park as in where there are people, buildings, etc.? Operating mr drones in public parks is one of the reasons we got this issue today. Nice going.
What part of "I live in Sydney Australia" did you miss?

We are allowed to fly RC at local parks. Fixed wings, helicopters and multirotors are all fine. We have to keep 30 meters away from people and buildings which is easy as the parks are huge and mostly deserted mid week when I fly.

We also have laws in place to seperate and protect hobby RC flyers from new UAV legislation. These were enacted in 2002.

Nice try but don't blame me for what the FAA is doing in your country.

Last edited by Rob2160; 12-31-2015 at 11:26 PM.
Old 12-31-2015, 11:53 PM
Rob2160

Not to worry Rob, if he was really serious ( speed and faster paced) he would be flying gliders. A turbine just doesn't cut it, or the airframe that contains a turbine just doesn't cut it...period!!!!!!!!.
Yes dynamic soaring is really impressive. I saw that video a while back and just watched it again. Incredible speeds and great skill.

Last edited by Rob2160; 01-01-2016 at 12:37 AM.
Old 01-01-2016, 12:00 AM
Duncman

We are allowed to fly RC at local parks. Fixed wings, helicopters and multirotors are all fine. We have to keep 30 meters away from people and buildings which is easy as the parks are huge and mostly deserted mid week when I fly.

We also have laws in place to seperate and protect hobby RC flyers from new UAV legislation. These were enacted in 2002.

Nice try but don't blame me for what the FAA is doing in your country.
We can fly in our parks also but you boys down under are way ahead of us on MR's and separating them out from the rest of the field, we should be so lucky.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:20 AM
HoundDog

I can't decipher all you wrote but will add this... Not every body that fly's rc fly at a club field, we don't all live in a populated area like you... Infact you might be surprised that only 5% of the land in this country is even been improved. Most that belong to the ama don't always fly at ama fields!!
This is very true there almost (WERE) twice the number of People Flying some sort of R/C TOYs than AMA members. But I was alluding too with out my New york accent is what percentage of all the different of people sell some sort of registrable R/V Toy and if they all banded together to lobby for the Hobby we might have a force even grater than the NRA Capeich now?
Old 01-01-2016, 06:26 AM
HoundDog

Nice try but don't blame me for what the FAA is doing in your country

How effective and how do your laws read ... are your R/C Toy flyers better equiped to handle Your version of our FAA or they a lot more intelligent than our FAA
Old 01-01-2016, 06:58 AM
Rob2160

How effective and how do your laws read ... are your R/C Toy flyers better equiped to handle Your version of our FAA or they a lot more intelligent than our FAA
CASA generally does a good job and gets things done fast compared to the FAA. I worked with them a lot in my previous job and any special approvals we needed were processed quickly enough.

I am not aware of any significant problems with the current Model Aircraft / UAV system in Australia - it seems to work and people have been fined for breaking the rules with multicopters - Here is one example

The Laws are found under Civil Aviation Safety Regulations (CASR) Part 101 - the entire document is here.

An easier document to read that summarises the rules is the Advisory Circular

Model aircraft are separated from Commercial UAVs - to fly a commercial UAV you need a Controllers Certificate which requires completing a course, passing exams and passing a flight test. The theory is similar to that required for a PPL.

5. DEFINITION OF A MODEL AIRCRAFT

5.1 A model aircraft is any unmanned aircraft, other than a balloon or kite, which is flown for sport or recreational purposes, weighing not more than 150 kg including fuel and equipment installed in or attached to the aircraft at the commencement of its flight.

5.2 A model aircraft flown for any other purpose is covered by the term ‘UnmannedAerial Vehicle’ (UAV) and is subject to the rules applicable to UAVs.

5.3 A model aircraft is excluded from the vast majority of the regulations applied to other aircraft. For example, there are no requirements for aircraft registration, pilot licensing or aircraft airworthiness certification

The basic rules for Model aircraft are contained in a brochure which hobby stores will (should) hand you with any aircraft purchase:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-01-02 at 1.55.49 am.png
Views:	33
Size:	265.1 KB
ID:	2138997   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-01-02 at 1.56.00 am.png
Views:	30
Size:	232.8 KB
ID:	2138998  

Last edited by Rob2160; 01-01-2016 at 07:42 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.