Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Transferring Jet Building skills and paint/primer compatibility

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Transferring Jet Building skills and paint/primer compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 09:51 AM
ChuckC
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transferring Jet Building skills and paint/primer compatibility

Well, not a fancy project or anything, but has some lessons: found a surfboard in the trash by my buddy's beach house. It was beat up and had big chunks taken out of it! It had been banging around in smeone's garage for a few years, it looked like. Well, some good epoxy resin (Pro Set with medium hardener; 65 minute pot life, a LOT of micro-balloons) and some O'Reilley's "Ful-thane" urethane 1-part paint and voila![ATTACH]2171294[/IMG][ATTACH]2171295[/IMG]

I had some OLD Omni primer/surfacer I kept in the garage (unconditioned) that was left over, asked the paint guy at the counter (who really did know what he was doing) about using it with the 1-part urethane and he thought it's be fine. Used the same reducer as the urethane (Nason, high temp) and it sprayed really nicely. Ful-Thane went on even better (Devilbis Plus gun). Things I learned:
1) I'm still not used to how much paint comes out of the gun-you have to move pretty brisk.
2) The Ful-thane goes on really well with almost zero orange peel with the high-temp reducer
3) The trade-off with the above is that it takes longer to flash/catalyze
4) Disposable cup liners are THE BOMB! Clean up your spray gun with less than 1/2 cup of thinner!
5) There appears to be no compatibility issues with the Ful-thane that I see yet; got it for $19/pint. Good color availability to.
6) Bugs+tweezers=frustration (but minimizes damage)

Even though it was "trash", my son and I had fun with it; he got up on it the second try (even in Galveston waves) and I can't pry it out of his room (really didn't try, though. Now to get him to fly...

I'll use the paint on a jet; I liked it a LOT, the way it flowed out at about 90 degrees and the above conditions. Painted it in the driveway, BTW.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Surfboardafter.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	626.8 KB
ID:	2171294   Click image for larger version

Name:	Surfboardbefore.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	852.9 KB
ID:	2171295