Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Aviation Design Mini Diamond

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Aviation Design Mini Diamond

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 10:13 AM
husainchico

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default something missing

hello..

i just recieve my kit and all excited .. unfortunately i cannot find any control horn in there been searching all day and no luck.. for the linkages i was only supplied with 2 rods that i think i should cut them to make all the control linkages..

​​​​​​i also see some guy install the radio accessories tray that im not sure if it should be included in the kit also..

anybody have the kit can confirm where they found the stuff i'm missing ?
Old 06-11-2017, 11:23 AM
leemkl06

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by husainchico
hello..

i just recieve my kit and all excited .. unfortunately i cannot find any control horn in there been searching all day and no luck.. for the linkages i was only supplied with 2 rods that i think i should cut them to make all the control linkages..

​​​​​​i also see some guy install the radio accessories tray that im not sure if it should be included in the kit also..

anybody have the kit can confirm where they found the stuff i'm missing ?
You should have a single G10 card with all 7 horns cut into it. Also, your correct for the 2 rods, you'll just use them and cut to length. As far as a radio tray, you'll need to make one up yourself, it's not included in the kit.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:04 AM
husainchico

Originally Posted by leemkl06
You should have a single G10 card with all 7 horns cut into it. Also, your correct for the 2 rods, you'll just use them and cut to length. As far as a radio tray, you'll need to make one up yourself, it's not included in the kit.
any idea where i can find this g10 card ?!
anybody have diminsions for them so i can cut it myself ?
Old 06-12-2017, 06:18 AM
leemkl06

Originally Posted by husainchico
any idea where i can find this g10 card ?!
anybody have diminsions for them so i can cut it myself ?
i would suggest you contact AD for a replacement.

ML
Old 09-23-2017, 12:37 PM
dotdigital
My Feedback: (41)

This question also reminded me that I needed to share some finding about the recommended servos. In the manual, AD suggest using Graupner DES 567 MG (7kg = 97.23 oz-in). I looked around and couldn't find a servo with that size (1.16x.47x1.16 in) that would produce that kind of torque. So, I went to purchase the Graupners from Graupner USA and they had different specs that were lower for the same servo (4.2kg / 58.33 oz-in). So after talking to Graupner, I discovered that the Europeans measure torque over a different radius and for the US, that servo actually puts out their published numbers. All of this resulted in me using Hitec's which and i know and trust and they have a slightly higher torque rating and are HV.

BTW, the MKS 6130 won't fit into the mounts since the mounting tabs are setup for a slim wing and not a normal servo.

Hi guys… I am building a Mini right now and wanted to shed some light on these Graupner 567 MG servos that I discovered…
I was very skeptical about the recommended Graupner servos torque for this jet as shown on the AD manual … After investigating and communicating with Aviation Design in France AND also talking to Graupner USA … I have learned the following: The rated torque at 6 volts for the servos works out to a conversion of about 98 ounces from the specs on the servo with the European measurement of 69 Ncm … This converts to just under 100 Oz. torque (Google a conversion calculator) I questioned AD about the lower torque rating AS SHOWN on the Graupner USA website. AD replied to me that THEY FLY their mini with the suggested Graupner 567 MG servos w/ NO issues. So, How could that be if the torque rating on the USA site shows them to be about HALF of the rated torque as shown in the AD build manual ? … ANSWER: It turns out that the USA published specs for this servo is WRONG as I was told this by the USA staff over a phone call. Furthermore- if you go on the internet to any Eurpoean website selling these 567 MG servos, you will see they publish the 69 Ncm specs (as is printed on the servo box it is shipped in). So, I am installing these on the Mini - I have never flown a jet with such lightweight torque servos but I am going to trust that AD knows what they are talking about— plus as most of u know- virtually nothing else can even fit into the jet… The supplied servo covers are made specifically to drop these servos in and go… a nice feature too!

I would love to hear from anyone using these servos who has had flight issues… Oh yeah… As for the flaps, I am only going to deploy them on Final approach as I still dont think the torque is sufficient to hold them unless you are at low speed.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:51 PM
Midas D.

Originally Posted by dotdigital
Hi guys… I am building a Mini right now and wanted to shed some light on these Graupner 567 MG servos that I discovered…
I was very skeptical about the recommended Graupner servos torque for this jet as shown on the AD manual … After investigating and communicating with Aviation Design in France AND also talking to Graupner USA … I have learned the following: The rated torque at 6 volts for the servos works out to a conversion of about 98 ounces from the specs on the servo with the European measurement of 69 Ncm … This converts to just under 100 Oz. torque (Google a conversion calculator) I questioned AD about the lower torque rating AS SHOWN on the Graupner USA website. AD replied to me that THEY FLY their mini with the suggested Graupner 567 MG servos w/ NO issues. So, How could that be if the torque rating on the USA site shows them to be about HALF of the rated torque as shown in the AD build manual ? … ANSWER: It turns out that the USA published specs for this servo is WRONG as I was told this by the USA staff over a phone call. Furthermore- if you go on the internet to any Eurpoean website selling these 567 MG servos, you will see they publish the 69 Ncm specs (as is printed on the servo box it is shipped in). So, I am installing these on the Mini - I have never flown a jet with such lightweight torque servos but I am going to trust that AD knows what they are talking about— plus as most of u know- virtually nothing else can even fit into the jet… The supplied servo covers are made specifically to drop these servos in and go… a nice feature too!

I would love to hear from anyone using these servos who has had flight issues… Oh yeah… As for the flaps, I am only going to deploy them on Final approach as I still dont think the torque is sufficient to hold them unless you are at low speed.

I'm using these Graupner Des servo's for a long time in all sorts and spec's. (mini,midi standard size, jet's and aerobatic/3D bird's)
Never ever hand Any issues with them!! (Cant say this about the other very expensive brand servo's unfortunately )
They preform great.

Best buy for the $ IMO

Last edited by Midas D.; 09-24-2017 at 03:44 AM.
Old 09-24-2017, 04:26 AM
leemkl06

On my mini that’s been flying for a while now I ended up upgrading the flap servos to the MKS’s discussed on the forum. This was because I deployed them once at at a speed higher than the servos could hold and burnt them up in flight (both of them). Fortunately it didn’t cause any issues besides a fast landing. Of course this could of been a lot worst. I would recommend getting something with more torque on the flaps but all others were fine at the recommended torque specs.
Old 09-24-2017, 04:42 AM
dotdigital

I agree on the flaps--- that is why I wouldnt dare employ them unless I was on final as the speed is much slower then... but what servos did u end up installing for the flaps that fit?
Old 09-24-2017, 04:43 AM
dotdigital

very re assuring to hear this... thank u!
Old 09-24-2017, 05:29 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 83 Likes on 72 Posts

The MKS 6130H will fit the Mini Diamond servo pockets too.
Old 09-24-2017, 03:29 PM
leemkl06

I agree on the flaps--- that is why I wouldnt dare employ them unless I was on final as the speed is much slower then... but what servos did u end up installing for the flaps that fit?
MKS6130h’s. Only a small mod was needed to get them to fit securely.

ML
Old 09-24-2017, 04:00 PM
Bob_B

Marcus will you be flying your Diamond at SJS?
Old 09-24-2017, 04:08 PM
leemkl06

Originally Posted by Bob_B
Marcus will you be flying your Diamond at SJS?
Yes, I just installed my Cheetah in it last week and damaged my pipe due to a hot start going on too long (my fault). My replacement pipe is on its way and I’m hoping it will get here before Wednesday. Plan to be there on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Are you coming down?

ML
Old 09-24-2017, 06:12 PM
Bob_B

I'll be there Friday/Saturday unless work reels me in suddenly
Old 09-25-2017, 07:37 AM
dotdigital

Guys- for the maiden flight coming up soon on my Mini D- how accurate is the suggested AD manual settings:
Is this accurate: 4mm UP trim for 'neutral' on elevator?
How are the suggested throw rates VS actual experiences... ?
Expo: I fly without using dual rates and prefer to increase my expo settings... what have experienced owners have to say on the initial recommended expo settings?

Thank u all!
Old 09-25-2017, 07:43 AM
leemkl06

Guys- for the maiden flight coming up soon on my Mini D- how accurate is the suggested AD manual settings:
Is this accurate: 4mm UP trim for 'neutral' on elevator?
How are the suggested throw rates VS actual experiences... ?
Expo: I fly without using dual rates and prefer to increase my expo settings... what have experienced owners have to say on the initial recommended expo settings?

Thank u all!
in my experience the initial setup was pretty close. Since we all like a slightly diffent feel, I believe if you follow AD’s numbers you definitely won’t have any issues on the maiden and can tune to your liking. She looks extreme but flies like a trainer.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:58 AM
dotdigital

Thanks for the input... A good pilot friend of mine flies the large Diamond and says the same thing about the flight characteristics.. For me this was a toss up between the Scorpion and the Diamond models... I went for the sexy new look of the Diamond ( Scorpion is a superb flier too!)
BTW, On the larger Diamond pilots have to cut-in added fresh air intake holes for the motor --- as it starves a bit (and makes a wild sound which gives that away as needed) ... I havent heard anyone say the same for the mini...
Old 09-25-2017, 07:58 AM
dotdigital

Thanks for the input... A good pilot friend of mine flies the large Diamond and says the same thing about the flight characteristics.. For me this was a toss up between the Scorpion and the Diamond models... I went for the sexy new look of the Diamond ( Scorpion is a superb flier too!)
BTW, On the larger Diamond pilots have to cut-in added fresh air intake holes for the motor --- as it starves a bit (and makes a wild sound which gives that away as needed) ... I havent heard anyone say the same for the mini...
Old 09-25-2017, 08:21 AM
leemkl06

I haven’t had a problem and the pilots using the Merlin 140 haven’t said anything. One caution is to definitely follow AD’s recommendation for the turbine to pipe placement. In the beginning I choose to disregard their recommendations and installed my turbine the normal 3/4 to 7/8 from the pipe and had heat issues (around nozzle) and also suffered from an extreme vacuum inside the engine compartment (sucked in the sides). I went back and adjusted it to AD’s numbers and all was fine.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:23 AM
dotdigital

Default Exhaust tube

thanks for that info. The manual states 10-20mm from engine exhaust tip to inside the exhaust tube. 20 mm is about 3/4 of an inch but that is the max. So u are saying that u need to be further back with the motors exhaust tip and the exhaust tube. Yes?
Old 09-25-2017, 10:08 AM
leemkl06

thanks for that info. The manual states 10-20mm from engine exhaust tip to inside the exhaust tube. 20 mm is about 3/4 of an inch but that is the max. So u are saying that u need to be further back with the motors exhaust tip and the exhaust tube. Yes?
i normally mount my turbines 3/4 to 7/8 away from the pipe ( doesn’t matter how large or small the bell mouth since the measurement is from the pipe). If your using the stock Pipe, AD wants you to be 10 to 20 mm into the bell mouth which is a lot closer to the actual pipe. Hopefully that makes sense.

mL
Old 09-25-2017, 03:41 PM
iog

I will definitely be coming over to check out the mini diamonds at Georgia. Such a neat looking airplane!
Old 09-29-2017, 02:50 PM
dotdigital

MKS6130h’s. Only a small mod was needed to get them to fit securely.

ML
I ve taken your advice... I ve got the MKS 6130's installed for the flaps now... I wanted to just run this by you since you are also using these servos... are you also experiencing the same:
they are 'buzzing' in any flap position, ie off/take off/landing/
My Jeti transmitter shows no real voltage drops taking place due to excessive draw when the servos are connected- so I gotta believe the sound produced is normal on these servos (I ve never owned MKS). In my experience, have seen in the past a voltage drop when a servo is indeed binding .... but these servos do not appear to have any harmful draw on current ... even though they are always humming.
I am hoping to maiden next week!
Old 09-30-2017, 03:16 AM
leemkl06

I ve taken your advice... I ve got the MKS 6130's installed for the flaps now... I wanted to just run this by you since you are also using these servos... are you also experiencing the same:
they are 'buzzing' in any flap position, ie off/take off/landing/
My Jeti transmitter shows no real voltage drops taking place due to excessive draw when the servos are connected- so I gotta believe the sound produced is normal on these servos (I ve never owned MKS). In my experience, have seen in the past a voltage drop when a servo is indeed binding .... but these servos do not appear to have any harmful draw on current ... even though they are always humming.
I am hoping to maiden next week!
Welcome to the world of mks servos! They are top notch servos but they are known to buzz (mine does the same thing). It’s funny because I asked one of our club members the same thing after my install. If your amp draw is normal then your good to go! Good luck on your maiden!
Old 09-30-2017, 12:24 PM
dotdigital

Marcus- Thank you for all of your input… it is most appreciated!
-Paul.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.