Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

F-106 1/6 or 1/5 scale, any interest

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

F-106 1/6 or 1/5 scale, any interest

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 06:26 AM
CRye
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeff asked if there was any progress. His post showed up on my yahoo mail but does not seem to show here.
No real progress. I got distracted by the B-58. And then I decided a Boomerang Elan would be a good post winter thumb limbering and knock around plane. Turns out that it is definitely not a plug and play kit but Its about ready to fly.
I would center back on the 106.
And the issue or stability in high alpha as center of lift moves forward.
Life gets in the way of hobbies. Much necessary home refitting to do.
But, hope is a dangerous thing and I may have a hanger loft to set up for this project.
Charles
Old 06-25-2019, 08:48 PM
lennyo
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been asked to build the plug & molds for a 1/6 F-106. No problem - I'm on it.... The problem I have is the landing gear. Can anyone put me in touch with someone capable of a composite 3d print for mock-up or production work?

Many thx! Lenny
Old 06-26-2019, 03:36 AM
JSF-TC
My Feedback: (2)

Received 134 Likes on 78 Posts

Lenny,

Try to get access to a 3D printer. I have one and printed a proof-of-concept retract and gear for my Buccaneer - it worked out well. I'm now getting parts machined at eMachineshop.com

If not too big, I can print them for you. PM me with details if interested.

Paul

Old 06-26-2019, 11:29 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Too big IMO. I think we need more airplanes in the 100" length range.. Something that is still (barely) manageable by 1 person to move around. A 100" F-106 would be a winner though IMO. Well.. ANY delta airplane.. Kfir, Skyray, Eurofighter, etc..
Old 06-28-2019, 01:48 AM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

I agree with Doug. 100" 106 would be outstanding!
Old 06-28-2019, 05:38 AM
jetspud

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by invertmast
Nothing on the Prowler yet.. We moved, all my stuff is in storage and im debating on if im even going to stay in the hobby for the short term...

the F14 and TA-152H both have build threads here in RCU.
I was going to ask about the T-38 project. I hope you dont get out of the hobby

David
Old 06-28-2019, 07:43 AM
JSF-TC
My Feedback: (2)

Received 134 Likes on 78 Posts

David,

Check out Thomas's (Invertmast) posts on rcscalebuilder. He just recently started a build thread on his T-38 project.

https://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum...TID=29772&PN=1

Paul
Old 06-29-2019, 10:21 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by jetspud
I was going to ask about the T-38 project. I hope you dont get out of the hobby

David

i didnt get out, but i definitely have been less involved than previously. Now with other things settling down and a car project almost out of my garage, i’ll be getting back to some RC stuff. The T38 will be the first big project as well as getting back to the F14.
Old 11-27-2019, 02:19 AM
lennyo

Paul,
I would be very grateful for any help you can provide. Lenny
Old 11-27-2019, 02:22 AM
lennyo

Progress on the mold plugs has been steady. Block form shapes are coming along nicely. This is exactly 1/6th scale. Going big folks...Lenny
Old 11-27-2019, 02:23 AM
lennyo

Progress on the mold plugs has been steady. Block form shapes are coming along nicely. This is exactly 1/6th scale. Going big folks...Lenny
Old 11-27-2019, 03:06 AM
lennyo

The plug I am building is exactly 1/6th scale. I have been having dreams - nightmares - about strip planking the fuse. Oh my gosh the fuse been a project.... My plan has been to complete the basic shapes and then take a deeper dive into sanding and final shaping of the parts in order to complete the mold prep. At this point, I'm going to move onto building the wings. My plan is to get the major components built and then buy a pallet of photo etch and go crazy with the detailing necessary to get adequate molds built. I think it might be somewhat noteworthy to give the back story for my love of this aircraft... As a small child, I fell in love with airplanes. My father would sit down with me and draw pictures of airplanes to fuel my passion. The "six' was our go-to plane every time. This grew eventually into my enlistment into the USAF in 1981. I had the HONOR of participating in a USAF "Red Flag": exercise with a "six' guard unit participating. As a crew chief, I was able to live my childhood dreams at Red Flag. The six crew chiefs and I traded jobs. They were able to work on Block 15 F-16's and I was able to work on and launch the famous "six" of my childhood dreams. While it may be some somewhat corny to some folks, it means a lot to me to reminisce about my childhood dreams with my dad. After all, He fueled my dreams and enabled me to make a career of the air force. Oh, in case you are wondering, Mine will be finished as a ''Jersey Devil". My dad drove me four hours too see these guys... For the inevitable trolls out there, let me state the intakes are not correct yet and the blown canopy has not been started... That being said, the vertical tail is approximately 1/4th an inch to high. The blown canopy needs to be built in. Of all, my concerns, I am going to hate sheeting the radome. Only because getting the correct taper to the pitot mast will be difficult... I love my Dad and all he has done to inspire me... Lenny
Old 11-27-2019, 03:11 AM
lennyo

The plug I am building is exactly 1/6th scale. I have been having dreams - nightmares - about strip planking the fuse. Oh my gosh the fuse been a project.... My plan has been to complete the basic shapes and then take a deeper dive into sanding and final shaping of the parts in order to complete the mold prep. At this point, I'm going to move onto building the wings. My plan is to get the major components built and then buy a pallet of photo etch and go crazy with the detailing necessary to get adequate molds built. I think it might be somewhat noteworthy to give the back story for my love of this aircraft... As a small child, I fell in love with airplanes. My father would sit down with me and draw pictures of airplanes to fuel my passion. The "six' was our go-to plane every time. This grew eventually into my enlistment into the USAF in 1981. I had the HONOR of participating in a USAF "Red Flag": exercise with a "six' guard unit participating. As a crew chief, I was able to live my childhood dreams at Red Flag. The six crew chiefs and I traded jobs. They were able to work on Block 15 F-16's and I was able to work on and launch the famous "six" of my childhood dreams. While it may be some somewhat corny to some folks, it means a lot to me to reminisce about my childhood dreams with my dad. After all, He fueled my dreams and enabled me to make a career of the air force. Oh, in case you are wondering, Mine will be finished as a ''Jersey Devil". My dad drove me four hours too see these guys... For the inevitable trolls out there, let me state the intakes are not correct yet and the blown canopy has not been started... That being said, the vertical tail is approximately 1/4th an inch to high. The blown canopy needs to be built in. Of all, my concerns, I am going to hate sheeting the radome. Only because getting the correct taper to the pitot mast will be difficult... I love my Dad and all he has done to inspire me... Lenny
Old 11-27-2019, 03:18 AM
lennyo

I am planning to begin a new thread as soon as I complete the rough-in build of the wings. I am so excited about this project!!! My dad is pretty amped up now too!!! At 82 years old - I love my dad, and all he has done to empower me to chase my dreams. Lenny
Old 11-27-2019, 02:46 PM
SHANEC
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking good keep it going!
Old 12-15-2019, 07:48 PM
lennyo

Default Wing build...

Beginning the left Wing...

1/32 in plywood core cut for leading edge.

Building the wing upside down. Looks like left, but will actually be the right wing. Building the rib/skin supports now.

another angle.
Old 12-15-2019, 07:50 PM
lennyo

For clarities sake... Layout of plan is the left wing. However, I'm building from the top of the wing surface through to the bottom. The side being built will actually be the right wing. I'll flip the plan sheet and reset the rib/skin supports to build the left wing.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:04 PM
lennyo

Here is a shot of 1/48th Monogram reference model against the 1/6th scale build.

Old 12-17-2019, 02:05 AM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I love the work.. Things like this are just too big for me to manage by myself.