Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Maj. Woody's Ultra Flash

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Maj. Woody's Ultra Flash

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 06:16 PM
MaJ. Woody
My Feedback: (28)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Today I did all of my range checks,engine runs and Taxi Tests.Thanks Scott and Ron for helping! Everything went perfect. That cheetah has a lot of push! Now all I need is some stick time on my other planes and I will be ready to test this beast!
Old 06-23-2017, 02:55 AM
MaJ. Woody

Well tomorrows the big day! I will be test flying my Flash at Octurbofest in Titusville PA.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:33 AM
Art ARRO
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dom,
Good luck on the maiden. Fair skies and light winds.
Rgds,
Art ARRO
Old 06-23-2017, 03:49 AM
MaJ. Woody

Thanks Art. If all goes well I will see you at Highland Jets is a few weeks. I may fly up in my Cessna before that with Chris Zonio and show him the site. Chris perhaps next weekend? I can pick you up at Tri Cities.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:40 AM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Don't you have to fly it 5 times before taking it to a sanctioned event?
Old 06-23-2017, 05:34 AM
MaJ. Woody

I have not heard of that rule. Octurbofest is not AMA Sanctioned.

If it were and the rule applied, test flying can be done before or after the official posted times of the Sanction. I have seen this practice at all type of meets from jets to giant scale
Old 06-23-2017, 06:41 AM
skunkwurk
My Feedback: (18)

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by MaJ. Woody
I have not heard of that rule. Octurbofest is not AMA Sanctioned.

If it were and the rule applied, test flying can be done before or after the official posted times of the Sanction. I have seen this practice at all type of meets from jets to giant scale
Good luck on the flight Woody, nice job on the build!

sc
Old 06-23-2017, 07:28 AM
MaJ. Woody

Thank you Sir!
Old 06-23-2017, 08:30 AM
John Taylor
My Feedback: (16)

Hi Dom, good luck on your test flight. John T.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:31 AM
Art ARRO

Originally Posted by Len Todd
Don't you have to fly it 5 times before taking it to a sanctioned event?
Len,
There is nothing in the AMA Turbine Safety Regulations about flying a jet before taking it to a sanctioned event: ref AMA Doc # 510A. Actually a sanctioned event usually provides multiple experienced jet pilots to review the installation and possibly assist with the test flight itself. Here in the northeast USA we usually allow test and maiden flights during sanctioned events. The events include: Capitol Jets, Highland Jets,Horizon Air Meet/Maine Jet Rally, New England Jet Rally and the Plum Island Jet Rally. It is still up to the discretion of the CD and the other pilots will usually stand down for the maiden. The AMA regs do state that the first 5 solo flights after a successful waiver qual flight be supervised by an experienced turbine pilot. This is where some confusion may arise. In all cases I suggest that all AMA CDs running a jet event review AMA Doc # 510A for familiarity and compliance.
Rgds,
Art ARRO, Turbine CD
Old 06-23-2017, 12:59 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

As per the AMA Safety Code:
A. General
...3.Model aircraft will not be flown in AMA sanctioned events, air shows or model demonstrations unless:
.... (a) The aircraft, control system and pilot skills have successfully demonstrated all maneuvers intended or anticipated prior to the specific event.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:44 PM
Art ARRO

Mark,
I humbly stand corrected in regards to maiden flights at AMA sanctioned events. Guess most/all of us in the northeast are not in compliance.
Rgds,
Art ARRO
Old 06-23-2017, 01:53 PM
MaJ. Woody

Good news: Octurbofest is not AMA Sanctioned
Bad News: The foretasted wind for tomorrow has inspired me to stay home

I am feeling like I will never get to fly this thing. I wanted to have a solid 15 flights on this before going to Arts meet.

More Good News: I am on vacation Starting next Friday and all week of the 4th of July. I could still make it Art!
Old 06-23-2017, 02:34 PM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by causeitflies
As per the AMA Safety Code:
A. General
...3.Model aircraft will not be flown in AMA sanctioned events, air shows or model demonstrations unless:
.... (a) The aircraft, control system and pilot skills have successfully demonstrated all maneuvers intended or anticipated prior to the specific event.
Thanks. You beat me to it.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:36 PM
causeitflies

Originally Posted by Art ARRO
Mark,
I humbly stand corrected in regards to maiden flights at AMA sanctioned events. Guess most/all of us in the northeast are not in compliance.
Rgds,
Art ARRO
Art,
Usually maidens are done outside of "official" event hours at the venue. But I have seen them done during the actual event too and the event sizes ranged from small to very large. I agree that events are sometimes the best places for maidens although not always as I've witnessed some scary maidens

Dom,
I was looking forward to tomorrow but am having second thoughts too. 90* crosswind is ok but not when it's more than 10mph and coming over the trees, on a maiden. On the other hand it will be right down the runway at the Nighthawks
Old 06-23-2017, 03:42 PM
causeitflies

OOPS!! Forgot there is a big heli meet at the Nighthawks tomorrow.
Wind right down the runway at the ARCS LOL.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:46 PM
MaJ. Woody

My local club is having a fun fly this weekend. Wind right down the runway here and not as Strong as in PA. I will fly my F4U Corsair at that event instead. Hope to see ya this season Mark. I have Knighthawks on my calendar so I may make it there this year.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:49 PM
paulhat

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi Maj. Woody,

You mentioned earlier in this thread that you will be maidening the UF without expo. Would be interesting to hear what others think about this. I reckon it would be a scary ride. Especially if you are using factory throws.

Paul.

Good news: Octurbofest is not AMA Sanctioned
Bad News: The foretasted wind for tomorrow has inspired me to stay home

I am feeling like I will never get to fly this thing. I wanted to have a solid 15 flights on this before going to Arts meet.

More Good News: I am on vacation Starting next Friday and all week of the 4th of July. I could still make it Art!
Old 06-23-2017, 03:56 PM
MaJ. Woody

That's correct. I have not used dual rates or expo in my 36 years of flying R/C (OK Expo was not even around back then LOL). I just don't feel connected to the plane with expo and in fact feel behind it. I like telekinetic type response from my planes. I will start with the throws in the manual and then add or subtract travel from there. It takes me a couple flights to dial in the feel I like.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:06 PM
causeitflies

Dom,
You could have a third rate available with expo in case the normal rates are too high.
My classic flash rolled scary fast on low rates and the rolls could not be counted on high rate. The elevator is also very powerful.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:12 PM
MaJ. Woody

Good to know Mark.
Thanks!
Old 06-23-2017, 04:29 PM
MaJ. Woody

So maybe what I will do is setup the dual rate on Aileron and Elevator just for the purpose of not being surprised on the test flight. Once I know the travel that I like I will deactivate the Dual rate and just dial in the main rate as needed. Easy enough to do. I must say though I have never had to do that with any plane from jets, to pattern, warbirds and aerobats.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:38 PM
causeitflies

And if your radio can do it, a third rate with the recommended expo.
Better safe than sorry.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:54 PM
paulhat

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Totally understand what you are saying but I think in this case you should start off with say 30% expo and then work your way back. Trust me at 30% you will feel well connected
The UF is very stable when you are not touching the sticks. Nimble as when you do decide to make a move. Its a model that is well suited to a bit of expo.

That's correct. I have not used dual rates or expo in my 36 years of flying R/C (OK Expo was not even around back then LOL). I just don't feel connected to the plane with expo and in fact feel behind it. I like telekinetic type response from my planes. I will start with the throws in the manual and then add or subtract travel from there. It takes me a couple flights to dial in the feel I like.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:14 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

Dom, the UF flies somewhat similar to the small L-39 you used to have except it will be faster and land slower. I had the same L-39. I found the suggested low rate setting to be fairly lively even with expo. Maybe set up dual rates on a three way switch and set up two low rates but one with a little expo. Good luck with the maiden.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.