Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Maj. Woody's Ultra Flash

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Maj. Woody's Ultra Flash

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 11:29 AM
txshan130
My Feedback: (114)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I fly mine off a 680ft runway, but it usually stops in half that distance. I also run crow on both my classic and ultra flash. I think that is the key.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:45 AM
setxws6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ravill
How are your approaches?

And some people just like to have a short base to final!
Depends on wind conditions. If I've got a nice headwind I can bring it in nice and slow, under throttle control, and have it touch down and stop in 100-150ft. If its a calm day I have to cut power on base and come in shallow. UF don't like to slow down in calm conditions and with 400ft runway there's not much room for error with no headwind. On a calm day it'll touchdown and eat up 200-250ft of runway because of higher landing speeds.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:52 PM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Never used crow. Never had a plane that needed it, ... apparently until I got this UF. So,... what is the best way to program crow in a Spektrum Txer? I assume a mix based on the gear switch. ??
Old 11-08-2017, 01:16 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Len Todd
Never used crow. Never had a plane that needed it, ... apparently until I got this UF. So,... what is the best way to program crow in a Spektrum Txer? I assume a mix based on the gear switch. ??
Usually you program crow to come in with full flaps. The first airplane I had crow on was a BVM Kingcat - as per the BVM instructions. I never flew one without crow, but with it, you could slow it down to a crawl without it droping a wing - and you had to to routinely avoid the bounces...

I've used crow on several airplanes that had less than ideal landing characteristics and its always helped. We added 3/8" of crow to my son Louie's CARF Hawk, and it made a world of difference in how it landed. Dave Wilshire will tell you that the CARF Hawk doesn't need it and that may be right for him, but I can tell you for certain that it helps. The crow does two things for the Hawk - 1) it makes the Hawk continue its decent on landing approach (what folks call "settling") when you attempt to raise the nose to flare, and 2) it *greatly* reduces the tendency to drop a wing went the plane gets slow. Together, the result is a *consistent* nose-high landing on the main gear with much less tendency to bounce...

YMMW

Bob
Old 11-08-2017, 01:33 PM
why_fly_high
My Feedback: (19)

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Using airspeed telemetry on jets I have found makes the landings so much more consistent. I have landed my Ultra Flash with and without airspeed indication. Either way can obviously be done but knowing the airspeed allows you to make throttle corrections sooner and keep a more consistent approach through all wind conditions.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:49 PM
Len Todd

Also, it seems like a well programmed gyro should help eliminate, up to a point, the snaps. Think I'll move these questions and comment off to a separate thread.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:08 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Crow is fantastic. ESPECIALLY on sport jets.

The only jet I never liked it on was BV's small 86. My big 86 has reflex mixed with up elevator.

I once saw it on a full scale airliner landing in Phoenix. I got a pic of it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0964.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	2244156  
Old 11-08-2017, 02:34 PM
setxws6

In my experience if your throws, expo, CG is set correctly and your a competent pilot, there's no need for a gyro. Unless you have a wild unstable airframe or large vertical stab like F16 and need rudder stability... Maybe I'm just old school, but I'm not that damn old lol.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:19 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Len Todd
Also, it seems like a well programmed gyro should help eliminate, up to a point, the snaps. Think I'll move these questions and comment off to a separate thread.
Without sufficient airspeed a gyro would just exacerbate the snap.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:26 AM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by setxws6
Depends on wind conditions. If I've got a nice headwind I can bring it in nice and slow, under throttle control, and have it touch down and stop in 100-150ft. If its a calm day I have to cut power on base and come in shallow. UF don't like to slow down in calm conditions and with 400ft runway there's not much room for error with no headwind. On a calm day it'll touchdown and eat up 200-250ft of runway because of higher landing speeds.
The airspeed for landing doesn't change regardless of wind. The ground speed does, but if you start trying to fly the airplane by its ground speed without compensating mentally for any wind, you're setting yourself up for problems. The simple rule of thumb that has worked for every sport jet I've flown over the past 30 years, is to fly the approach with the fuselage level with the ground, and control descent with power. Elevator = Airspeed. Power = Altitude. If you start having to pull back excessively on the elevator, you're too slow. Then once you're about 5' high, reduce power to idle, and don't let the airplane land. Hold it off at 1' or less under it runs out of airspeed and lands on its own. If you try to force it down, you'll bounce because the airplane isn't finished flying yet.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:50 AM
setxws6

No airspeed doesn't change with wind obviously. But your ground speed does and the simple fact the airplane will bleed off speed quickly with a headwind makes a short landing a much simpler task. Compared to so many other sport or scale jets out there the UF is an easy jet to land in my humble opinion
Old 11-09-2017, 08:58 AM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ravill
I think it’s just a little ribbing man. All in good fun.

We have all lost jets due to dumb thumbing. It’s my specialty! LOL
You are correct, a little ribbing to a darn good pilot...it was a shame that Dom had this happen, in fact I didn't believe him at first when I received the call!

Dumb Thumbs is also on my resume
Old 11-10-2017, 10:58 AM
BlueBus320
My Feedback: (57)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Subscribed.
Please post a pic of the Fly-Navy UF with yellow fuse when you can. I've thought of doing this as well if I ever get another. Should make for a great flying hi-vis model
Jay
Old 11-10-2017, 05:41 PM
MaJ. Woody
My Feedback: (28)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks Rich! Not a model out there I cant crash.

Jay I will post a pic and so build updates like I am doing with the camo. I hope to have it next week. Sure hope DHL does not smash this one too.
Old 11-11-2017, 04:38 AM
Jetpilot24
My Feedback: (21)

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by MaJ. Woody
Thanks Rich! Not a model out there I cant crash.

Jay I will post a pic and so build updates like I am doing with the camo. I hope to have it next week. Sure hope DHL does not smash this one too.

Dom,
the new UF looks great. Looking forward to flying with you next year. Keep the post coming.

Joe
Old 11-11-2017, 09:20 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

Does not need CROW, I'm sick of all the BS
Old 11-11-2017, 02:38 PM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
Does not need CROW, I'm sick of all the BS

How about this Dave, you fly yours the way you like it and others will fly it to the way it suits them. I'm really sorry to see something so trivial like this makes you "sick" lol
Old 11-11-2017, 02:44 PM
DrV
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW, Why take it so personal about "crow". If you think you don't need it then don't use it. Works for some and doesn't for others. There is no BS. I have flown with crow and without crow and I like the way it lands with crow. My personal choice, preference and opinion. Same argument goes for gyros. My plane, my choice, my personal way of flying.

Last edited by DrV; 11-11-2017 at 03:45 PM.
Old 11-11-2017, 03:49 PM
Len Todd

Kind of thought we moved this discussion to a different thread to keep this based on Woody's builds.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:04 AM
scoeroo
My Feedback: (9)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The supplied C / UF carf manual (which leaves much to be desired) is only a guideline ......
Many different flyers
Many different set-ups
Common denominator is that the Flash..... whether it be a Classic or Ultra....fly's fantastic with a wide envelope to be explored
Old 11-12-2017, 05:44 AM
MaJ. Woody

Hi Guys.
I am moving along nicely with this build and now have the pipe installed, the turbine mounted and bypass mounted. I have not cut the holes in the bypass for the turbine connections yet since I have a question about the orientation of my Cheetah SE. I asked this question in the Turbine Support Area but I thought I would post it here also.

The manual with my Cheetah SE says that it is recommended to mount the turbine with the name facing up (top of the model). I did that for my last Flash but I did not like how my turbine connections were orientated and I actually had to make a cut out in the wing seat to clear the fuel line.

If I were able to mount the turbine in the Flash so that the name is facing down when the model is on its wheels (turbine upside down) I would have better flexibility for the turbine connections given the the wing position in the flash.

So when the model is on its wheels is it OK to have the turbine upside down? I am guessing the biggest concern here is startup since we fly upside down all the time with no issue.

Thanks for the help!
Dom
Old 11-12-2017, 09:28 AM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Just start it up on the bench upside down and see how it goes. You can also loosen the straps and try it at different positions other than 90*.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:37 AM
MaJ. Woody

Hi Mark.
I did rotate it on the first build but it was still mostly right side up as recommended. The connections were not where I like them but I had to live with it. I am looking to improve upon that if I can with these two Flash Builds.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:14 PM
VK96

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MaJ. Woody
Hi Guys.
I am moving along nicely with this build and now have the pipe installed, the turbine mounted and bypass mounted. I have not cut the holes in the bypass for the turbine connections yet since I have a question about the orientation of my Cheetah SE. I asked this question in the Turbine Support Area but I thought I would post it here also.

The manual with my Cheetah SE says that it is recommended to mount the turbine with the name facing up (top of the model). I did that for my last Flash but I did not like how my turbine connections were orientated and I actually had to make a cut out in the wing seat to clear the fuel line.

If I were able to mount the turbine in the Flash so that the name is facing down when the model is on its wheels (turbine upside down) I would have better flexibility for the turbine connections given the the wing position in the flash.

So when the model is on its wheels is it OK to have the turbine upside down? I am guessing the biggest concern here is startup since we fly upside down all the time with no issue.

Thanks for the help!
Dom
Hey Dom...Ran into the same issue on my UF with the Cheetah. I called Jose at JC and he said up to 90 degrees is fine. I did 90 and it allowed for better connections of the fuel lines/ ECU lead.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:41 PM
MaJ. Woody

Thanks for the info. Did he happen to mention why? I have no idea but am guessing it because of start up and the location of the igniter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.