Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Information sharing, Festo Fuel FIlters

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Information sharing, Festo Fuel FIlters

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 12:24 PM
raron455
My Feedback: (38)

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Information sharing, Festo Fuel FIlters

I'm just going to take a minute to share some information with everyone. A flying buddy of mine requested I post this up for pilots to see.

I was recently at an event and a fellow pilot had a beautiful, Big F4 Phantom there, He flew the jet about 4or 5 times I believe, Every time It went Up I stopped what I was doing and watched it, because I liked it and it really looked great cutting through the skies, it flew great and he did a great job with it. On the last flight I watched it take off and climb out, I started talking to a buddy, and heard it screaming around out there, then I heard the flameout. I immediately thought oh crap, its an F4, this wont be good. Thankfully the pilot was good and experienced he made quick choices and was able to get it turned around and headed back towards base, he brought it down in the field on the other side of the runway, it went across the runway and slid to a stop. It had minimal damage and he will be able to get it back up soon. As he was investigating the source of the flame out he found the culprit, his Festo Fuel filter had split at the seam, that lead the lack of fuel causing the flameout, and surely some fuel spill.

I remember reading multiple post on this forum about this very problem on this very filter, I know some guys use them and have no problems while others have had failures with terrible consequences due to them. I am simply sharing what I recently seen for all to consider, Some pilots may have never heard about this issue, and I believe it is worth the time to type this up and share the info. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, but I can assure you a split filter can cost you many more thousands.
Based on the failures I read about these filters I have never considered using them.

I am just sharing what I seen first hand, take this information for what it is, and hopefully when setting up your aircraft it may help you decide what components you choose. Regardless Of your choice I wish nothing but good flights and great landings for ALL.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20161030_083803.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	3.52 MB
ID:	2188784  
Old 11-03-2016, 12:35 PM
jws_aces
My Feedback: (33)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That filter cost me a 15k jet.. Yes I learned about it after the fact and try to warn everyone I see. I am pretty sure mine was leaking under pressure before it split, cause a flame out but it also sprayed the hot engine that started a fire on board.

Thanks for posting.

You want find a filter on board my jet anywhere due to this one. I rather loose a 3K turbine and still have the rest of jet. I know some people will disagree and I understand. To each his or her own but Ron you are correct on the festo filter.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:14 PM
Turbotronic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no such thing as a Festo Fuel filter...
Old 11-03-2016, 01:34 PM
David Gladwin

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

There is a Festo filter But it is NOT, as Turbotronic so correctly states, a FUEL filter.
The filter is designed for gaseous vacuums. Using it as fuel filter is misuse of the product.
Blame the user, there is nothing wrong with this product it works perfectly in its intended application !!
Old 11-03-2016, 02:10 PM
jetnuno

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi

There is a lot of information regarding failures with these filters. they were design for vacuum in airlines as other festos we use in fuel lines. Some work, some don't and this one doesn't work for our fuel lines. Just don't understand why some manufacturers keep supplyimg these in their turbines...

Nuno
Old 11-03-2016, 05:16 PM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

They were standard issue for AMT back in the day... Not sure what they use now.. Hard to believe that something so simple and benign can cost you some much $ $$$$$ .$$ and anguish.. I was there also when this happened, and as usual it flamed out in the worst possible location. Great job on the sticks, survived to fly another day.. F-4 Phantom will get your undivived attention when the fire goes out !!

Danno
Old 11-03-2016, 05:48 PM
c/f
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I been flying AMT since 2000 still do and all 6 of my AMT turbines were shipped with Festo filter, to be used on the suction side of the fuel pump with 6mm hose, in conjunction with a 6mm pushin fuel shutoff. The pressure side of the pump is 4mm direct to turbine with no interconnects. Still 16 years later 10 AMT powered setups per manual has had no festo filter failure. I even use the larger 8mm size inside my kero jug which basically sits in the jug as a clunk.

One thing that struck me in this encounter was a refference to filter being under pressure causing a drip, My setup should it have a issue is prior to the BVM UAT so air bubble(s) being fed to header would be the obvious failure mode is my thinking.

Also working with FESTO for 38 years in industrial automation I can tell you the reason you see the barb fittings is because it is for suction use type hose design not to collapse under vacuum loads and a push in fitting by design does not technically work for suction. In the early years of pushin hose fittings, Festo had no vacuum rating , as they seal by the internal pressure forcing tubing sidewall outward towards O ring seal. So I do concern myself with the pushin style shutoff on suction side as hose is collapsing away from Oring, take care to lube with Oring lube when using pushin style on suction side of things...
Old 11-03-2016, 08:50 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Agree totally with c/f, being an AMT man myself - however I have also reached the same conclusion as Jeff. I filter my fuel (multiple times, using Festo filters) BEFORE it goes into my jet. No fuel filters in my installations any longer.

Touch wood, since 1997 I have only suffered one flame out (which was not due to a filter)...so I guess that some will call me lucky.

Cheers,

Jan
Old 11-04-2016, 02:29 AM
Felix Barrao

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually the Festo filters are not intended to be used in the pressure line. They can work between -0.95 and 0 bar, so if used, should be installed between the tank and the fuel pump, never after the fuel pump, or, it will break, because is not intended for work under pressure.

https://www.festo.com/cat/en-gb_gb/d...LTERS_ENUS.PDF

Félix
Old 11-04-2016, 02:44 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

I HAD one in my trainer jet. It worked great for several years. The person who signed me off told me to get rid of it (on the pressure side) because he had one fail. Well... last summer, I took my Falcon 120 to the field, but when I opened it up, I had a stronger than normal smell of Kero... and sure enough... that filter was wet. I got lucky, and found it. But I'm sure if I would have gone up... it would have popped.

Thanks for posting this. I'm sure there are a bunch of new guys who needed to know.
Old 11-05-2016, 06:52 AM
c/f
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I was going over my 2004 Vintage BOBCAT XL for an upcoming flight this weekend and took a detailed look at all fittings and filters. Everything looked as new now 12 years later, Turbine had not been run in 2 years, BVM UAT full, fuel line to pump and turbine from pump was still solid fuel no visible air bubbles, It fired up as expected in 6-10 second ramp to running. No bubbles what so ever during ramp. To me this area of bubbles during ramp or storage in fuel lines assuming full UAT has always been a tattle tale sign something is not cool with fuel supply integrity.

Side Note,
During inspection I did notice that I had used the internal brass ferule insert in my suction side hoses inserted into pushin shut off fitting on suction side, this insures no suction hose collapse to aid in outer O-ring seal.

I do appreciate the heads up and since new I have always used Mobile II turbine oil, Just wonder if the new breads of oil additives have effected these filters. Is there a good see thru alternate filter being used in jets these days?
Old 11-05-2016, 05:33 PM
myersflyers
My Feedback: (33)

I've never seen this filter split at the seem as shown in the aforementioned post. Definitely something worthty of concern. However, I've found over time this filter will leak if used for fluids, but if you use orings of the proper size over the tubing and between the threaded caps it will provide a leak proof seal and allows you to tighten down the caps whereby they remain tight over time. I don't use these filters anymore, but that has been my experience to resolve leaks. After seeing how they split I don't see a need to ever use them again.
Old 11-06-2016, 02:32 AM
Justflying1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello C/F,
Intairco make a dedicated see through filter for all size turbines. It is of excellent quality like you would expect from Intairco products and they ship world wide. https://www.intairco.net/categories....P-Mega-Filters
Ivan