Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Where are gyro's most helpful in controlling a jet other than takeoff & landing

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Where are gyro's most helpful in controlling a jet other than takeoff & landing

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 09:19 AM
pattratt
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where are gyro's most helpful in controlling a jet other than takeoff & landing

I have flow jet's off & on for many years but have never used a gyro stabalisation on one.
What are b thd advantages/disadvantages of using them?
Old 11-13-2016, 03:37 PM
DelGatoGrande
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Gyros mix out the couplings of your model. They dont fly your model for you.They are not auto pilots.
They are only mixing devises . What your radio already can do but with greater precision .Plus they remove wind.

There are two type of modellers:
The ones that want to live in caves for ever and the others that are openminded and want to learn.

RCU doesnt allow links from other forums. Do a google search for " how to trim a plane " by Peter Goldsmith .
I promise you after you finish reading his article you will be a better pilot.
Gyro do exactly the job Peter describes as mixing .

https://www.powerbox-systems.com/produkte/igyro/igyro3e.html

my 2c

Last edited by DelGatoGrande; 11-13-2016 at 03:41 PM.
Old 11-13-2016, 04:52 PM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Smooth out a bumpy ride on a windy day.
Old 11-13-2016, 05:13 PM
Greg Wright
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

A 3 axis Gyro set-up properly makes flying the planes a lot more enjoyable and less stressful is basically how i see it. They don't make you a better pilot. They just make things a little less stressful but "YES" you do still have to fly the plane just like it is meant to be flown.
Old 11-13-2016, 06:51 PM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best way to understand it, is to buy a little AS3X micro EDF. (habu is my favorite) It's a tiny 2oz EDF. But, because it has a 3 axis gyro that is properly tuned... you can fly that little thing in gusty wind. Sure, it will get pushed around... but the gyro does all the "Fighting" for you, and allows you to enjoy it. Heck... without it... that little thing probably wouldn't even fly.

Anyway... a standard 3 axis gyro is just like a shock absorber. It will dampen bumpy air... and may save a light tip-stall
Old 11-13-2016, 10:03 PM
pattratt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks to all that responded. I am extremely careful on how I set up an aircraft in the area of primary suface alignments , control surface throws, and a/c cg! I am thinking that 3 axis gyro's mabe more or less required based on actual aircraft design requirements. Thanks again for your responses!
Old 11-13-2016, 10:44 PM
LA jetguy

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

For best results trim a jet with gyro off (0 gain) and then adjust gain as needed for flight, landing and take-off
Old 11-14-2016, 01:55 PM
jason

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DelGatoGrande
Gyros mix out the couplings of your model.
my 2c

Not so sure about that. A gyro will only do this completely if used in heading hold mode and I don't think many people would fly a jet in HH mode. In normal rate mode the best you can hope for is coupling to be damped. I still mix out all coupling on all jets regardless of whether a gyro is fitted or not.

Jason
Old 11-14-2016, 04:47 PM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jason
Not so sure about that. A gyro will only do this completely if used in heading hold mode and I don't think many people would fly a jet in HH mode. In normal rate mode the best you can hope for is coupling to be damped. I still mix out all coupling on all jets regardless of whether a gyro is fitted or not.

Jason

Same here....

I have yet to see the igyro or cortex eliminate coupling.