Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jet legend F18

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jet legend F18

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 05:59 PM
Mpizpilot
My Feedback: (45)

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm confused, is the skymaster and jetlegend the same model? I keep seeing people talk about it like it is. But then I read that the JL flys better then the sky master.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:15 PM
dbsonic
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very similar is you put them side by side. But the wing on the JL is further forward. And the JL comes with a nice aluminum servo mount as shown in the pics posted earlier.
The JL is a good flier and I think the Skymaster is fine also with an edge to the JL as it seems to rotate on takeoff a bit nicer. (JL may have a bit of washout in the wing.. you can check that for us with a side view) However with both you have to take care of those landing gear, the nose gear tight and keep an eye on the those stabs for any play. A good thing to check on any plane with flying stabs.

Last edited by dbsonic; 12-08-2016 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:15 PM
Mpizpilot

Starting to get it cleaned up inside, made new mounting plates, tidied up the wiring a bit. Just have to pull new airlines, mount mini servos instead of those junk plastic geared standards for the valves and few more odds and ends obviously. At least the rats nest is gone.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2011.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	3.37 MB
ID:	2192878   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2012.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	2.90 MB
ID:	2192879  
Old 12-15-2016, 08:24 PM
Mpizpilot

Well, I've ripped out the gear doors except for the nose units. Whoever built this had no idea what they were doing. Both fill valves leaked and so did the up3 (broken nipple). I got hosed on this deal. Basically rebuilding the whole jet. I don't trust any of the work done.

Name:	IMG_2056.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	1.90 MB
ID:	2193570   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2057.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	1.90 MB
ID:	2193571  
Old 12-15-2016, 08:41 PM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends on what you paid for it, these planes new from the factory must be completely gone through. I'm doing another brand new from the factory Skymaster F-18F right now, I just completely dissembled the struts today and rebuilt them. All air line must be replaced and I have to replace some of the air cylinders. I don't mind it, its all fun for me. One thing that did kind of irritate me is mine originally was a Blue Angel and they repainted it! They tried to clean up the blue over spray in the fuselage with thinner. Guess they had a Blue Angel in stock but when the Jolly Roger was ordered they used it instead of pulling another from the mold.

Just a tip on the gear. For the model to track straight and be less prone to tip over, you must get the wheels 90 degrees to the ground with no toe in. Both mounts in the Skymaster F-18F are off and needed shims.

Name:	DSC00138c.jpg
Views:	1450
Size:	745.3 KB
ID:	2193572  
Old 12-16-2016, 07:55 AM
Mpizpilot

Originally Posted by dionysusbacchus
Depends on what you paid for it, these planes new from the factory must be completely gone through. I'm doing another brand new from the factory Skymaster F-18F right now, I just completely dissembled the struts today and rebuilt them. All air line must be replaced and I have to replace some of the air cylinders. I don't mind it, its all fun for me. One thing that did kind of irritate me is mine originally was a Blue Angel and they repainted it! They tried to clean up the blue over spray in the fuselage with thinner. Guess they had a Blue Angel in stock but when the Jolly Roger was ordered they used it instead of pulling another from the mold.

Just a tip on the gear. For the model to track straight and be less prone to tip over, you must get the wheels 90 degrees to the ground with no toe in. Both mounts in the Skymaster F-18F are off and needed shims.

$2500 basically.

You had to dissemble and rebuild brand new struts and replace airlines on a brand new airplane?

I'm more concerned with the quality of the assembly work done by the previous owner.

The elevator leading edge tip is rubbing on the fuse.

The left aileron is binding because it was glued to close to the trailing edge

The retract mounts are split because they were not pre-drilled before installing the screws

The general quality of the build is just bad. It just looks like someone who had no expierence in the hobby built the plane. I'm honestly thinking about stripping out the Gear and servos and just buying a new one.

Btw, been following your build on the Top rc P-51. I've got the gunfighter scheme in the box.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:54 AM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea, you took a hit on that one for sure, wow! Sorry about that. I just recently basically gave away my F-18c, and I went completely through that plane, it was in perfect mechanical and operational condition. Good luck getting anything from Jet Legend, unless you buy a plug and play from BVM you will not get anything from them. Some can, not sure how, but I couldn't get them to make me a plane.

As far as these jet ARF's go, welcome to the jet world, it's the way it is. As the dollar amount goes up along with the power and speed, so does my concern, not just for the investment but for safety.

Check out the heavy springs in this gear that came off of a "new" F-18F plane:

The plane would not sit right because one spring was 1/2" longer than the other. The gear pivot point was so tight that the shock would not move, had to pound the pin out and file the elbow so it could move and pivot freely. Pins had to be installed in the retaining rings on the lower shock piston, without them the shock would come apart when the gear were extended because they were a press on fit.

Added new engine mount beams made out of aircraft grade ply, not two paces of lite ply tacked together. You can see a little of the Blue Angel blue on the right there. Airline and some air cylinders leak, also notice the tight turn in the yellow tubing! None of this really bothers me, if I was smarter maybe it should, but I'm just happy someone is making these jets.

Post in the Top RC P-51 thread when you get your plane going. Like to see what others are doing.

Name:	DSC00151c.jpg
Views:	1249
Size:	644.3 KB
ID:	2193611   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00150c.jpg
Views:	1220
Size:	608.4 KB
ID:	2193612   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00149c.jpg
Views:	1275
Size:	657.0 KB
ID:	2193613  
Old 12-16-2016, 06:45 PM
Mpizpilot

Originally Posted by dionysusbacchus
Yea, you took a hit on that one for sure, wow! Sorry about that. I just recently basically gave away my F-18c, and I went completely through that plane, it was in perfect mechanical and operational condition. Good luck getting anything from Jet Legend, unless you buy a plug and play from BVM you will not get anything from them. Some can, not sure how, but I couldn't get them to make me a plane.

As far as these jet ARF's go, welcome to the jet world, it's the way it is. As the dollar amount goes up along with the power and speed, so does my concern, not just for the investment but for safety.

Check out the heavy springs in this gear that came off of a "new" F-18F plane:

The plane would not sit right because one spring was 1/2" longer than the other. The gear pivot point was so tight that the shock would not move, had to pound the pin out and file the elbow so it could move and pivot freely. Pins had to be installed in the retaining rings on the lower shock piston, without them the shock would come apart when the gear were extended because they were a press on fit.

Added new engine mount beams made out of aircraft grade ply, not two paces of lite ply tacked together. You can see a little of the Blue Angel blue on the right there. Airline and some air cylinders leak, also notice the tight turn in the yellow tubing! None of this really bothers me, if I was smarter maybe it should, but I'm just happy someone is making these jets.

Post in the Top RC P-51 thread when you get your plane going. Like to see what others are doing.
It's just shocking to me, I expected the quality to be a little bit higher. Even the seams on the fuse look like hell.

I'm looking forward to the P-51. My wife won't let me open it till Christmas though. I did do a quick check for "shipping damage" while she was out.

Name:	IMG_1918.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	2.48 MB
ID:	2193672  
Old 12-17-2016, 08:29 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

It is hard to buy anything used, especially complex jets, that have to be shipped. You have to remember there is always a reason it is sold, and it is usually too many issues and the current owner can't figure them out or is done with the jet. I never buy something that I can't personally see in person. I bought a CARF 3.2 Extra over RCU, and got lucky. But, I had actually looked into flying on the airlines to see it.

Anyway, you will get it get it together. Do you have any need or desire to buy a spare set of struts, main wheels and brakes and nose gear wheels? I took quick pictures, and can take better pictures should you have interest.

Name:	IMG_1291.JPG
Views:	1287
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	2193710   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1292.JPG
Views:	1258
Size:	1.83 MB
ID:	2193711  
Old 01-24-2021, 02:09 PM
[email protected]

Default CG

Hi guys. I got the jet legend f18 1/8th as per all the pics I’m seeing on this thread (bought second hand)

got no manual online and was wondering if someone could advise where the best CG is on this plane. Thanks!

also on the elevators, I see there is a little crosshair on the fuselage on both sides which to me seems to be the point I must set my elevators at. Am I correct in assuming this?

hope someone sees this!
Old 01-24-2021, 03:05 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

The jet legend F-18C is built better than the SM one. ESPECIALLY in the stabs. I found too much play in my SM F-18C and could actually see the rotation pins moving in the stab.

Do you have the aluminum spar or Carbon Fiber spar one? I believe the JL only had a carbon fiber one. The CG is on the front spar.

There is a seam line on the fuse that is neutral.

These fly great!!
Old 01-25-2021, 03:15 PM
jetnuno

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi

When I first started in jets back in 2007, everybody told me to buy a trainer, a Boomerang, but found it very ugly to own ;-) I bought a Feibao F18F and made arround 150 flights on it. I had no support at the time from fellow modelers in my field. Did some mistakes, because it's probably the toughest way to start with scale jets. Be aware of CG, Be sure to have a neutral or positive AOA and always takeoff with half flap

Bottom line it depends on your experience and skills and no one knows that on a forum. Boomerang option would be the wiser one, from that perspective

get advice and help in your club and buy what you are happy with

good luck

Nuno
Old 01-27-2021, 09:54 AM
[email protected]

Originally Posted by ravill
The jet legend F-18C is built better than the SM one. ESPECIALLY in the stabs. I found too much play in my SM F-18C and could actually see the rotation pins moving in the stab.

Do you have the aluminum spar or Carbon Fiber spar one? I believe the JL only had a carbon fiber one. The CG is on the front spar.

There is a seam line on the fuse that is neutral.

These fly great!!
hi there

thanks for getting back to me. My jet has two carbon spars in the wing. Definitely no single aluminum tube. So this is definitely the jet legend airframe?

thanks for letting me know CG. I had many people tell me this airframe is an absolute hand full to fly. I was assuming it was because the default CG was probably not the best option.

So you saying balance on the front carbon spar and that will give me best flight handling?

thank u once again.

my jet is the 1:7.5 size.